I've been using the Mobile Hotspot feature for a while now but it cuts off after 60 minutes of inactivity and I can't increase the timeout. As I have way too much data now with my new contract, I would love to keep the Hotspot on at all times. Is there any alternative, perhaps an app, that keeps it on at all times?

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  ,Passport (OG Red) <3
    10-06-16 02:29 PM
    Whatever the other device is that is connecting to your mobile hotspot could keep the connection alive, I imagine.
    Streaming anything for example, but that might be annoying over a long period.
    Another is using an app that needs to interact with the internet at a set interval (increasing mail syncing for example, or a clock sync app set to adjust /update your devices time every half hour or so, perhaps an instant messenger as those continually pole for status updates of you and your team, a weather app, etc.).

Just throwing some ideas out there.
    10-06-16 03:12 PM
    The device I mainly use to connect to the Hotspot is my laptop. When I close the lid, the network connection is being kept alive but for some reason my Passport thinks the connection is becoming inactive, hence it shuts of after 60 mins.

Thanks for the ideas though If you or anyone else has any more ideas, let me know!

coffee-turtle likes this.
    10-06-16 11:59 PM
    Are you sure it doesn't get cut because you lost data connection?

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    10-07-16 03:39 PM
    Are you sure it doesn't get cut because you lost data connection?

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    Nope. Data connection is up at all times, at least when I'm at home (there are a few blind spots outside though) and that's where I am most of the time.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  ,Passport (OG Red)
    10-07-16 11:53 PM
    The WiFi on my laptop is shut down whenever I close the lid. This would sever the hotspot connection and cause the hotspot to timeout. If you can't find a way to keep WiFi open on your laptop when the lid is closed, I can only suggest the you connect the hotspot to another device constantly to keep it from timing out. Like an old phone that you don't use. Just want to mention, if you haven't already noticed, that hotspot kills your battery fast. That's the reason why it times out in the first place.
    10-08-16 08:47 AM
    The WiFi on my laptop is shut down whenever I close the lid. This would sever the hotspot connection and cause the hotspot to timeout. If you can't find a way to keep WiFi open on your laptop when the lid is closed, I can only suggest the you connect the hotspot to another device constantly to keep it from timing out. Like an old phone that you don't use. Just want to mention, if you haven't already noticed, that hotspot kills your battery fast. That's the reason why it times out in the first place.
    I don't find that it drains my battery all that much. But even so, they could've put a warning there when increasing the timeout over 60 minutes. Just like you get a warning when you turn up your headset volume over 50%.

Thanks for the tip though. I'll see if I can connect it to another device to keep it up.

10-08-16 04:11 PM
    I've been using the Mobile Hotspot feature for a while now but it cuts off after 60 minutes of inactivity and I can't increase the timeout. As I have way too much data now with my new contract, I would love to keep the Hotspot on at all times. Is there any alternative, perhaps an app, that keeps it on at all times?

Try using a bluetooth tethering connection. That's what I use with my tablets

Posted via CB10
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    10-09-16 07:43 AM
    Try using a bluetooth tethering connection. That's what I use with my tablets

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, I'll look into that! :-)

10-09-16 03:56 PM