06-22-15 03:22 AM
37 12
tools
    Spend 99 cents and get a browser that lets you block images and ads. Those two things alone will eat more of your mobile data than pretty much anything else you do with your browser.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.680
    Which browser do you recommend?

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 01:59 PM
    Browsie. The dev even gave you the optimal settings a few post earlier...
    06-09-15 02:02 PM
    Sideload Opera Mini, then turn off image loading. If you'd rather still have image, set the quality to low.

Opera Mini doesn't support GIF and video unlike Opera Max (CMIIW) but still better than nothing.

Bonus points in that Opera Mini technically acts as a VPN, it routes your data from the source to their servers to compress before sending it to you, it allows me to bypass the stupid Indonesian DNS level censorship.

Z10 STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    Opera Max acts like a VPN through every packets being sent and received. It compress data before you received or send. BlackBerry is probably not offering an API to do that which explains why there is no alternative in BlackBerry World.

I am already using Browsie which is pretty good.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 03:32 PM
    It's sad what we pay for data in Canada. Minimum data plan should be 5 GB for $5. It doesn't cost bell, telus or even Wind that much to provide data. They aren't debt financing improvements to their infrastructure.

I'm trying to stay on my unlimited data plan with bell (H+ only, month LTE) for as long as possible but it seems that my next phone upgrade will mean switching to a lesser plan.
    06-09-15 04:20 PM
    Yes, and it's the same for every VPN and even your ISP is the man in the middle. Opera is a company with good reputation, so there's not much to worry.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.2.798
    Well not necessarily you ISP unless you intentionally let them terminate your encryption as you are with a VPN service.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.798 SR 10.3.2.516
    rthonpm likes this.
    06-09-15 04:40 PM
    It's sad what we pay for data in Canada. Minimum data plan should be 5 GB for $5. It doesn't cost bell, telus or even Wind that much to provide data. They aren't debt financing improvements to their infrastructure.

I'm trying to stay on my unlimited data plan with bell (H+ only, month LTE) for as long as possible but it seems that my next phone upgrade will mean switching to a lesser plan.
    Well just get your phone on your own and you won't have to change plan

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 05:00 PM
    Doesn't this essentially make it a man in the middle? I'd be wary of browsing any secure sites with this browser.

Posted via CB10
    I'd appeal to Opera's good reputation, but I know it won't convince you, so...

If you're concerned about security, don't skimp and use your mobile data with the native Browser. Technically, anything that doesn't involve you speaking face to face with your bank is a potential man in the middle, however security comes at a cost, so if you think you could be compromised, pay extra to get extra security

Z10 STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    06-10-15 12:34 AM
    I'd appeal to Opera's good reputation, but I know it won't convince you, so...

If you're concerned about security, don't skimp and use your mobile data with the native Browser. Technically, anything that doesn't involve you speaking face to face with your bank is a potential man in the middle, however security comes at a cost, so if you think you could be compromised, pay extra to get extra security

Z10 STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    Opera is a good company, my main point was to raise the issue in general since there are other services out there that offer similar services on other platforms, and some Android VPN services may work on BlackBerry 10.

The real concern is whether or not the third party has the ability to open TLS packets. While Opera has built up enough trust over time, reputation should come into play, it is important to realise the risk of this especially when you don't have control of the certificate suite being used for your connection.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 06:11 AM
    Opera is a good company, my main point was to raise the issue in general since there are other services out there that offer similar services on other platforms, and some Android VPN services may work on BlackBerry 10.

The real concern is whether or not the third party has the ability to open TLS packets. While Opera has built up enough trust over time, reputation should come into play, it is important to realise the risk of this especially when you don't have control of the certificate suite being used for your connection.

Posted via CB10
    Most companies decided to only supports HTTP which means secure traffic won't go through their services to protect your privacy. I don't know if Opera filter secure traffic though

Z10STL100-1/10.3.2.798
    rthonpm likes this.
    06-10-15 06:25 AM
    Yes, and it's the same for every VPN and even your ISP is the man in the middle. Opera is a company with good reputation, so there's not much to worry.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.2.798
    No. If a standard VPN or an ISP tried to read/alter a https website your browser would warn you.
    Opera mini can get away with it because it is the browser.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 10:42 AM
    Use Opera with turbo mode or Opera Mini

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 11:05 AM
    To the OP: take this posters msg with a grain of salt.

If such ludicrous, not to mention *highly dubious* accusations had ANY merit to it - how would I (and others I KNOW to be wind customers) be able to use Waze/Google Maps for gps navigation (in & around the GTA) on a daily basis? Little data fairies perhaps?

I also use it to watch netflix & have downloaded more than a few different versions of windows 8 from microsoft's msdn site using the much acclaimed 'non-existant' data.

Heck I've even gone to Woodstock, Newmarket, Markham, Scarborough have gotten excellent speeds.

Coverage is a "no sh*t sherlock!" response to the fact that a recent Telecom startup would NOT have coverage everywhere - unless you believe cell towers propagate like trees by growing sprouts and what-not

This dude's bashful & broad ranging/blanketed remarks makes him *highly* likely to be just another corporate shill working for the Pig 3 (aka Big 3)

Regarding wind's coverage - I encourage you to get a prepaid wind handset, sign up for the least costly package & try it out in and around the areas you *need* your service to be functional in (if it doesn't work out return it for a refund).

Please note that I've only responded to this thread because I am appalled & disgusted by the lies & dirty tricks the Big/Pig '3' employ to swindle every Tom, Rick & Harry.

Have a great day everyone

See, the problem isn't that it's 200kb/s of speed. It's that it's no speed. No data connection at all, it just drops.

And inside buildings, and in weird places. You just lose your signal.

It's too bad, I love them. And I'll be stuck with them for a while longer.

Work Wide and Prosper
    06-22-15 03:22 AM
37 12