Is using a mobile banking app actually safe on an android phone with all the security flaws? Asking here because android central is probably biassed.
    08-19-13 05:20 AM
    i have never had an issue using banking apps on android and never seen anyone else have issues either
    08-19-13 05:33 AM
    and this site isnt biased? lol

ive never had any problems either
    08-19-13 05:36 AM

Nah come on crackberry is alright.

What I mean is how apps on android get permission to access all areas of your phone, so I am wondering if this is a security risk for banking?
    08-19-13 05:49 AM
    Apps inform you what they need access to and why before you download, depending on which android you hypothetically buy you can install cynagenmod and grant individual permissions like bb. You can also get that ability with various apps if you can't or wont get cynagenmod

Sent from my Jiayu G3S smartphone using Tapatalk 4
    08-19-13 06:05 AM
    Never had a problem.
    08-19-13 06:19 AM
    Not sure why you think that apps have all the access to the phone. This is my bank app. It has minimum permissions.

Saiga likes this.
    08-19-13 06:32 AM
    Wasn't there a case of in order to install apps, you need to give them permission to everything or nothing and they can't be installed? Last year my friend's facebook app added a load of contacts from there to his phone's contacts and spammed out his list. I remember hearing about this on all other places too.
    08-19-13 08:08 AM
    ...Last year my friend's facebook app added a load of contacts from there to his phone's contacts and spammed out his list. I remember hearing about this on all other places too.
    That would have been because your friend didn't pay attention to the application prompts, that the application was requesting of him - nothing to do with the permissions.
    08-19-13 12:43 PM
    I've only tried the ameritrade apps on android. Security was fine I suppose. Thing is, their mobile Web page is better than the app.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 12:48 PM
    My wife and I have been banking, using eBay and PayPal from our android phones for years without any issues. This malware talk is so over blown it's crazy. Out of hundreds of millions of android devices, I've only heard about a few "real world" instances of malware. If it was as prevalent as people make it out to be, it would be front page news and not just on "security" sites
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    08-19-13 01:20 PM
    Banking Trojan like Zeus are able to manipulate most devices. If there IS root access to your device (both jailbreak/rooting or through exploits), there is a potential risk.

It's not a question of Android or ios or bb10 or wp... but if there is an exploit, it will definitely be used in some cases.
    The scenario is not just theoretical as stated by some. But you will have to put a lot of work into it... today...

If you want to talk about security based on OS, you have to admit that an OS like wp or bb10 are safer today, just because of the work needed and the potential outcome. Android as the market leader is the OS with the highest risk. Every market leader has this potential risk.

Please don't tell people that android would be safe. They will keep telling that you said it is safe even in a few years. Better tell them that everything will be as safe as it is used. Just like your car will be dangerous if you don't check the brakes, etc every few months.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 03:19 PM
    Banking Trojan like Zeus are able to manipulate most devices. If there IS root access to your device (both jailbreak/rooting or through exploits), there is a potential risk.

It's not a question of Android or ios or bb10 or wp... but if there is an exploit, it will definitely be used in some cases.
    The scenario is not just theoretical as stated by some. But you will have to put a lot of work into it... today...

If you want to talk about security based on OS, you have to admit that an OS like wp or bb10 are safer today, just because of the work needed and the potential outcome. Android as the market leader is the OS with the highest risk. Every market leader has this potential risk.

Please don't tell people that android would be safe. They will keep telling that you said it is safe even in a few years. Better tell them that everything will be as safe as it is used. Just like your car will be dangerous if you don't check the brakes, etc every few months.

Posted via CB10
    You seem to be a lot more knowledgeable about the technical aspects than I am. Are there any examples of this Zeus banking trojan infecting a lot of Android devices? I can say that Android is safe for me, based on anecdotal evidence from everyone that I've ever known that has an android device. I believe withdrawing money from an ATM is safe, but you could always get hit over the head by a "bad" guy and have your money stolen. Of course, everything is as safe as it's used. At least half of the people I know have Android devices. I don't know anybody that has ever had an issue with malware or stolen funds. I prefer to live my life without being paranoid and living in fear of the "boogey man." Does Android have the most malware? Of course they do. Am I worried about it? NO
    08-19-13 03:37 PM
    Today there are mainly 2 types of attacks. Spear phishing, for example, where a defined person is under attack (i.e. they know what they want from you, not a risk for an average joe) and like "net phishing" where they throw out their "net" to catch what they are able to get from whoever.

The last one is what everyone needs to care about. If there is a widely known exploit (which will be fixed with regular updates), noone is safe. That's why you should always update. Banking trojans however are used for the first method today. No need to be in panic today.
    Just keep your eyes open, things may change fast.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 03:56 PM

Don't worry, this site has quite a few trolls to even things out.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 09:02 PM