Oh my dear Blackberry... why have you pulled the plug on Flash in Blackberry 10 Browser?

I have recently upgraded to 10.3.1 and just today it happened to me twice that while browsing social media feeds I clicked a link to a web page with embedded video only to get an error message saying I need to install flash. These last few days made me realise how much flash content is still out there. I know there are third party browsers with flash avialable but that's not the point, right?

Wondering if I'm the only one here missing Flash in BB10 Browser...

Ps. Still loving my Passport though!
    02-26-15 02:54 PM
    If you are using desktop mode you will get hit by flash content. Mobile should force html5 content if available.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 02:57 PM
    Imagine how other platforms had to deal with this
    02-26-15 03:01 PM
    I thought that one of the ideas behind Work Wide is to be able to view desktop versions of web pages while browsing on Passport.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    02-26-15 03:06 PM
    I thought that one of the ideas behind Work Wide is to be able to view desktop versions of web pages while browsing on Passport.
    Yes. But that doesn't mean it's better. Mobile sites are simply optimized for smartphones of all sizes. It will default back to desktop if it's the only choice. Workwide also applies to remote desktop which I can imagine would be amazing.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 03:08 PM
    Yes. But that doesn't mean it's better. Mobile sites are simply optimized for smartphones of all sizes. It will default back to desktop if it's the only choice. Workwide also applies to remote desktop which I can imagine would be amazing.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, will try using the Browser with Desktop mode switched off for a couple of days. Just concerned that optimizing for mobile often means stripping down the website.
    02-26-15 03:16 PM
    I have never seen the error for Flash. HTML 5 seems to working just fine for me, watching videos on streaming sites is even better now that Flash has gone. Maybe I will start the "Loving BlackBerry even more now that Flash has gone" fan club. By the sounds of it, I will be it's only member :P

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 03:18 PM
    I have never seen the error for Flash. HTML 5 seems to working just fine for me, watching videos on streaming sites is even better now that Flash has gone. Maybe I will start the "Loving BlackBerry even more now that Flash has gone" fan club. By the sounds of it, I will be it's only member :P

Posted via CB10
    Which browser mode are you using? Desktop or mobile?
    02-26-15 03:28 PM
    Yes, this is annoying...

Missing Flash so much-img_20150227_004559.png

Flash was one of the advantages of BB10 browser on the competition.
    Now, I almost feel like an iPhone user...

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 03:50 PM
    Yes, this is annoying...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150227_004559.png 
Views:	2247 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	337202

Flash was one of the advantages of BB10 browser on the competition.
    Now, I almost feel like an iPhone user...

Posted via CB10
    Are you in desktop mode?

Missing Flash so much-img_20150226_165519.png

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 03:55 PM
    Which browser mode are you using? Desktop or mobile?
    I'm using mobile. I have a Q10 so the desktop version looks very small and it needs a lot of zooming in and out

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 03:56 PM
    Ok.... so it happened again, and this time its on Inside Blackberry, the official Blackberry Blogs' web page.

I have just opened this: Short Film on BlackBerry Industrial Designer Joseph Hofer [VIDEO] | Inside BlackBerry on my Passport with desktop mode switched off in the Browser and see "No plug-in available to display this contents" where the video should play. The desktop mode does not work either.

Is Blackberry using Flash on their web pages??? That would be funny...
    02-26-15 04:43 PM
    Ok.... so it happened again, and this time its on Inside Blackberry, the official Blackberry Blogs' web page.

I have just opened this: Short Film on BlackBerry Industrial Designer Joseph Hofer [VIDEO] | Inside BlackBerry on my Passport with desktop mode switched off in the Browser and see "No plug-in available to display this contents" where the video should play. The desktop mode does not work either.

I just tried that and it's the same for me. That is absolutely hideous!

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 04:47 PM
    I got another one:

If you have a VUDU account, try to play a movie preview on your 10.3.1 BlackBerry 10 device...

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 04:50 PM
    I just tried that and it's the same for me. That is absolutely hideous!

Posted via CB10
    That's funny because the source page does default to the proper mobile video client (vimeo I believe).

http://www.theguildseries.com/

Ah well. Blogger vs Designer.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 04:51 PM

That's a fail on the posters part.

Posted via CB10
    masterscarhead1 likes this.
    02-26-15 04:59 PM
    Removing flash was a mistake. To those who will say it's dead, it isn't...not yet. It may be being phased out but it is still being used. BlackBerry more than jumped the gun on this one.

Posted via CB10
    petervips and BerryRipe like this.
    02-26-15 05:19 PM
    Agree

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 05:30 PM
    Removing flash was a mistake. To those who will say it's dead, it isn't...not yet. It may be being phased out but it is still being used. BlackBerry more than jumped the gun on this one.

Posted via CB10
    Then exercise your right to use a 3rd party browser that supports flash.

As Bla1ze mentioned in a thread here some wheres, Flash is removed, deal with it.
    ExplicitPromo likes this.
    02-26-15 05:32 PM
    OK what browsers support flash please

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe likes this.
    02-26-15 05:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    Photon.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 05:35 PM
    Then exercise your right to use a 3rd party browser that supports flash.

As Bla1ze mentioned in a thread here some wheres, Flash is removed, deal with it.
    I am already. It's fair criticism, no matter how often repeated.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 05:39 PM
    I am already. It's fair criticism, no matter how often repeated.

Posted via CB10
    Fair criticism would be against Adobe in my opinion. They dropped the ball with mobile flash a long time ago.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 05:51 PM
    Try installing Firefox or some other flash enabled browser for android, through the amazon appstore or snap.
    ExplicitPromo likes this.
    02-26-15 09:10 PM
    I know several people who use Flashfox and are happy enough with it, including some of my fellow Mods here. Give Flashfox a try.
    02-26-15 09:43 PM
41 12