Realised I haven't fully unlocked the potential of my BB other than pass protecting it so I have a couple of queries.

I fancy encrypting the contents of both the phone and the memory card, my worries are firstly if I break my phone I'm guessing that's everything gone right, I'm thinking at least with the mem card could I put this in another BB and save my data or does it have to be the original device?
    Sounds insane I know because it nullifies the whole point but when the memory card is removed I can't use anything else other than the original phone to decrypt it or do you decrypt the card on removal then encrypt it again once inserted?
    Has anyone noticed any lag or issues when using an encrypted device?
    I guess if I'm going doing the route of encryption creating regular backups would be the way forward. I generally don't use link much because it's pants. Hopefully when 10.3 and blend comes I would do it more often but for the minute I keep most stuff on the mem card and just throw it across to my pc using usb.
    12-10-14 12:10 PM
    Realised I haven't fully unlocked the potential of my BB other than pass protecting it so I have a couple of queries.

I fancy encrypting the contents of both the phone and the memory card, my worries are firstly if I break my phone I'm guessing that's everything gone right, I'm thinking at least with the mem card could I put this in another BB and save my data or does it have to be the original device?
    Sounds insane I know because it nullifies the whole point but when the memory card is removed I can't use anything else other than the original phone to decrypt it or do you decrypt the card on removal then encrypt it again once inserted?
    Has anyone noticed any lag or issues when using an encrypted device?
    I guess if I'm going doing the route of encryption creating regular backups would be the way forward. I generally don't use link much because it's pants. Hopefully when 10.3 and blend comes I would do it more often but for the minute I keep most stuff on the mem card and just throw it across to my pc using usb.
    You need the original phone and the original OS to decrypt a card. Security wiping/autoloader upgrading/device switches mean your SD card can't be decrypted and becomes useless without wiping.
    AWB70 likes this.
    12-10-14 01:08 PM
    You've answered your question yourself in the third paragraph.... :-)
    Encrypted sd card would work *only* in the device it was originally encrypted in.

Can't comment about the encrypted device's speed, but the encryption process itself takes a very long time.

CB10 @ Q5
    AWB70 likes this.
    12-10-14 01:11 PM
    So to summarise. I break the phone everything on the phone is gone. If usb still worked for instance but smashed screen and I copy files over to a pc using link these files would be decrypted and usable?

Regarding memory card, going of what you have said the only thing that's going to decrypt it is the original phone with the os at the time of encryption, makes sense . So I guess getting in the habit of backing up the files on it would be essential. Would this also be the case with official OS releases if for instance I had a problem with an update and it failed?

If I use just usb storage mode and throw files across I'm assuming that the phone must decryot them on their way out?

Sounds like I need to get reacquainted with link again.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 01:39 PM
    Maybe thurask can tell more about auto decryption across usb transfer to PC.

From my personal experience files encrypted in Windows PC work across different Windows PCs and my BB10 devices - when transferred via usb. Haven't tried the other way around.

EDIT
    In the Windows scenario, decryption still needs to be done on original device + software combination.

CB10 @ Q5
    12-10-14 02:06 PM
    Thanks for all your help so far. I would imagine syncing over link will be the safest option I guess. I just hope once they are synced and on a computer I can then swap then about other devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 02:35 PM