Why o why doesn't BlackBerry10 support bis. data plans are to expensive.

Posted via CB10
    moyah8 likes this.
    11-19-13 08:58 AM
    Hi and welcome.
    I know a lot of people asked this in the beginning but we kinda got used to not having BIS.
    Hope you will be able to continue.
    11-19-13 09:00 AM
    BIS or not, you still need a data plan. There's nothing stopping the carriers who once offered unlimited BIS from offering unlimited data. They just don't want to. (That and BIS offered compression that lessened the burden on the network)
    11-19-13 12:24 PM
    BIS or not, you still need a data plan. There's nothing stopping the carriers who once offered unlimited BIS from offering unlimited data. They just don't want to. (That and BIS offered compression that lessened the burden on the network)
    The tiered data plans could provide much cheaper options. I imagine OP once had "social only" or "email only" plan and it was much cheaper. If it was previously a general data package on BIS I am not sure why OP is complaining
    11-19-13 01:01 PM
    Why o why doesn't BlackBerry10 support bis. data plans are to expensive.

Posted via CB10
    I agree.. I had once survived with my BlackBerry of past with just 1GB of data per month..

Now with my Q10 I've had to up my tarrif to 2GB (and that's breaking even every month)... and I don't do apps or social media (aside from Twitter) or video streaming.. just emails and very., very light Internet use. :-(

I'm going to maybe go with the Three network as they offer "all you can eat" data.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10 (Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.1055)
    11-19-13 01:24 PM
    I too miss BIS, however I kinda understand why it had to go for the time being.

Think on this for a minute: when we had the last major BIS outage a couple years back, every BlackBerry on earth that wasn't on BES went silent save for phone calls and text messages. Any and everything to do with the Internet stopped. Not just email, not just BBM, not just Web service. Everything stopped in its tracks as far as out blackberry devices were concerned. Now it is fair to admit that the down time for BIS was and continues to be incredibly low compared to other networks such as iCloud, but still. This was something that BlackBerry never wanted to see happen again, and effectively will never see again as the only services still running through BIS are BBM, BlackBerry Protect, and PIN messaging. Everything else goes straight to the network. This means if we have a BlackBerry network outage, at worst someone may not locate their blackberry if they lose it in the couch (ok worse could happen, but it affects individuals and shouldn't be as harmful an outage).

Personally I would love to see BIS return in some way, as I loved the data compression it offered me. Roaming in the USA from Canada would mean a bill of only $20 extra rather than $50-60 extra. Just means now if ever I go down to the USA I need to stop by an AT&T or T-Mobile and pick up a SIM card.

I have a theory that the other reason they may have not let new devices onto the BIS network may have had to do with network speeds. I fully understand that there were compatibility issues between the NOC and QNX, but bear with me for a minute. The latest devices all have very high data throughput capabilities, either via LTE or HSPA+. I get the feeling that the BIS network may well have had issues keeping right up with those incredibly high data speeds, or may have given no speed advantage whatsoever in comparison to the help they gave the BBOS phones. They were able to keep up and load up Web pages almost as fast as some more powerful phones (things always pulled up faster on my torch than they did on my Amaze 4G which was supposed to have more than 3x the network speed).

Just my own thoughts on the whole lack of BIS, though my hope is that they implement some portions of it for BB10 devices. We need to get data usage on these things down even just a touch.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    11-21-13 01:43 AM
    Now you brought this up it actually makes sense

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 01:56 PM