I just bought a new car (VW) and it has an infotaintment system that supports AndroidAuto something from Apple and MirrorLink. I tried installing AndroidAuto but didn't BB10 didn't want to install it. So I started looking in MirrorLink. Sounds to me this was a QNX platform used in this infotainment system. But no where can I find MirrorLink anywhere on this z30 of mine and not much talk into how we can connect our phones to it. Can anyone enlighten me on just how to overcome this hurdle.

Now this is the kinda stuff that boggles me... if this infotainment system is made using QNX where the hell is the BB support ? I mean don't they have the same CIO and supposedly working together instead of working in Silos?

I've been a big supporter of BB10 even though I was previously on Apple until I made the switch to PlayBook then RIM gave it the rim job and flushed it down the toilet. Is that how it's going to be for BB10 as well? If so, I would think twice next time I buy another BB product.

Even with their own products they don't seem to support each other.

Sorry for the rant but it's just so disappointing that I've got start searching for ways to make things work on my phone which I love whereas the competitors just needs to plug in their phone and everything works seamlessly.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-15 11:24 AM
    Even the Priv users have issues with AndroidAuto. Some searching and you can read : The reason the Priv is not connecting is because it's not on the "allowed" list in the VW MIB II headunit, and that the headunit firmware needs to be updated.
    Knowing that, I'm not sure VW will update it's firmware for a BB10 device.

MirrorLink has the same limitation, and as each app must be signed by the car brand to be displayed... it's really seemed not so useful... The fact that you can find QNX behind has no impact.

That said, I assume you have no issue with playing music or answer calls from your phone via the car ?
    12-24-15 04:17 PM
    Even the Priv users have issues with AndroidAuto. Some searching and you can read : The reason the Priv is not connecting is because it's not on the "allowed" list in the VW MIB II headunit, and that the headunit firmware needs to be updated.
    Knowing that, I'm not sure VW will update it's firmware for a BB10 device.

MirrorLink has the same limitation, and as each app must be signed by the car brand to be displayed... it's really seemed not so useful... The fact that you can find QNX behind has no impact.

That said, I assume you have no issue with playing music or answer calls from your phone via the car ?
    Yes I can answer and reply calls via Bluetooth... which luckily allows those simple features. And as for VW firmware update I still don't think there should be a need. As I said when it was made and or created, it should have had integration in mind. It looks as if they built while siloed from the rest of the organization.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-15 05:37 PM
    Yes I can answer and reply calls via Bluetooth... which luckily allows those simple features. And as for VW firmware update I still don't think there should be a need. As I said when it was made and or created, it should have had integration in mind. It looks as if they built while siloed from the rest of the organization.

Posted via CB10
    You do realise that car entertainment systems may run on various platforms, but their user interface, and in this case phone interface, software is controlled by the car manufacturers. In this case you need to take it up with VW, but the time to do that was before you bought the car.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-24-15 07:01 PM
    You do realise that car entertainment systems may run on various platforms, but their user interface, and in this case phone interface, software is controlled by the car manufacturers. In this case you need to take it up with VW, but the time to do that was before you bought the car.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Perhaps... but again this could have been dealt with by BlackBerry In the first place. If they created the system regardless of the interface it could have been implemented as a default or forced into the system like how other platforms have done it. Sorry but it's no excuse for BlackBerry to have let it happen.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-15 11:00 PM
    Perhaps... but again this could have been dealt with by BlackBerry In the first place. If they created the system regardless of the interface it could have been implemented as a default or forced into the system like how other platforms have done it. Sorry but it's no excuse for BlackBerry to have let it happen.
    It looks like the only smartphone companies that have the power to force their smartphone-based services on to dash units are Apple and Google. People here have been getting all excited about QNX integration with BlackBerry smartphones but fail to realize that the car manufacturers control their features and are only grudgingly allowing the smartphone integration that their customers want.
    12-24-15 11:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    You're kidding right? VW in particular didn't even honour a promise to the electronic engine control system manufacturer to not illegally include test software in production cars to cheat on emissions and fuel economy tests.

It is simple salesmanship. If not enough customers demand something, economy over performance, the ability to integrate any smartphone with their car, etc. manufacturers aren't going to provide it. How many sales do you think VW lost because they don't fully support BlackBerry? How much would it cost to add customer support for BlackBerry, not even counting modifying the software in the car? Sure they could do it, but they could also build an energy efficient car that performed well and compiled with emissions standards. But they wouldn't have made the same profits they have. If you expect car manufacturers to do the right thing, you are living in a dream world.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    12-25-15 08:01 AM
    But they wouldn't have made the same profits they have. If you expect car manufacturers to do the right thing, you are living in a dream world.
    Good point. Car manufacturers have got to be some of the most technologically unresponsive companies in existence. The more market power they have, the more unresponsive they are to the consumer. That's why smartphone users are looking to bypass the in-dash services - essentially taking over the UI and opening it up to app developers.
    12-25-15 08:15 AM
    Good point. Car manufacturers have got to be some of the most technologically unresponsive companies in existence. The more market power they have, the more unresponsive they are to the consumer. That's why smartphone users are looking to bypass the in-dash services - essentially taking over the UI and opening it up to app developers.
    And that is very unlikely to happen, especially given the QNX market penetration. One of the things QNX brings to the table is supposed to be a security level that allows the entertainment system and car management systems to run on the same network, if not the same CPU. Turning over too much control or access to app developers would result in a security mess, as we have already seen:

After Jeep Hack, Chrysler Recalls 1.4M Vehicles for Bug Fix | WIRED
    12-25-15 10:03 AM
    And that is very unlikely to happen, especially given the QNX market penetration. One of the things QNX brings to the table is supposed to be a security level that allows the entertainment system and car management systems to run on the same network, if not the same CPU. Turning over too much control or access to app developers would result in a security mess, as we have already seen:

After Jeep Hack, Chrysler Recalls 1.4M Vehicles for Bug Fix | WIRED
    I'm referring to what is already functioning with CarPlay and Android Auto that the OP has on his new Volkswagen. Along with the native Apple or Google apps like maps, messaging, music, phone, audiobooks, etc. there are streaming apps like Pandora, Stitcher, and Spotify. Existing smartphone apps can get approval to add a CarPlay or Android Auto interface.
    12-25-15 10:15 AM