What are the benefits of miracast over hdmi cable besides it being wireless?

After some searching it looks like video isn't great over miracast. I'm assuming miracast would use more battery compared with using the hdmi out? Or is it negligible?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by xACiD; 02-13-14 at 11:30 PM.
    02-13-14 11:20 PM
    In almost all circumstances the hdmi will be better. For instance, if you want to show something on the TV but still wants to do something else on the phone, then you can only do that over the hdmi cable because miracast clones your display onto the TV. You also can't play movies you bought in BlackBerry World over miracast (at least the ones I got).

Miracast is really useful if it's difficult to reach an hdmi port on the tv or you need to stand for enough away that the hdmi cable is not long enough.

Posted via CB10
    xACiD likes this.
    02-13-14 11:46 PM
    in some of the videos i saw for miracast, you can push a video file and it'll play widescreen instead of 1:1 like on my phone, is that possible with hdmi as well?
    02-13-14 11:57 PM
    In almost all circumstances the hdmi will be better. For instance, if you want to show something on the TV but still wants to do something else on the phone, then you can only do that over the hdmi cable because miracast clones your display onto the TV. You also can't play movies you bought in BlackBerry World over miracast (at least the ones I got).

Miracast is really useful if it's difficult to reach an hdmi port on the tv or you need to stand for enough away that the hdmi cable is not long enough.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry - but Miracast does NOT just clone the display, I use Miracast to do most of my presentations, and it act as a separate display, where I can show something on the 'bigscreen' while I do whatever I want on the phone, completely separated.

Screen name mirror is also a supported mode, but not the only one. It all depends on what the app supports.

Miracast is more or less a WiFi version of HDMI

Of course there will be a slight buffer delay between the phones display and the Miracast display, so Video, Music and presentations goes OK, but used for gaming, with the phone as controller and Miracast for output, depending on game - it cod feel 'sluggish' from the delay,..

HDMI should have so little delay that you won't notice, besides from that, Miracast supports same screen formats as HDMI and supports dual screen and screen mirror.
    02-14-14 06:42 AM
    in some of the videos i saw for miracast, you can push a video file and it'll play widescreen instead of 1:1 like on my phone, is that possible with hdmi as well?
    With the Play On feature you can play a video file in the original resolution up to 1920x1080. So if your video is widescreen, it will play in widescreen.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 08:47 AM