Microsoft Takes Windows 10 Mobile Updates in its Own Hands | Digital Trends

FYI

This info passed on with the BlackBerry Passport!
    jope28 likes this.
    05-16-15 08:26 AM
    Very interesting. They're making all the right moves.
    05-16-15 08:54 AM
    Yes, this is the way it should be.

BlackBerry please do the same.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-16-15 09:01 AM
    Yes, this is the way it should be.

BlackBerry please do the same.
    The question is, how did Microsoft get the carriers to agree to it, when WP sales are almost as weak as BB sales.
    05-16-15 09:03 AM
    Very interesting. They're making all the right moves.
    Yes they are. Its really peeking my interest in their ecosystem. I love my Surface Pro. I'm part of their Win10 Beta program and I like what they are trying to do with their cross device integration. Having the tablet, phone, and computer is going to make the experience seamless. So I'm definitely considering a Windows phone now. And if their app solution really works....oh boy

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-16-15 09:06 AM
    The question is, how did Microsoft get the carriers to agree to it, when WP sales are almost as weak as BB sales.
    I don't believe it's truly on the carrier. Its money. The carrier pushes are cheaper on the company. I think this is what I've read before. Could be wrong.

ubizmo and RyanGermann like this.
    05-16-15 09:08 AM
    Yes they are. Its really peeking my interest in their ecosystem. I love my Surface Pro. I'm part of their Win10 Beta program and I like what they are trying to do with their cross device integration. Having the tablet, phone, and computer is going to make the experience seamless. So I'm definitely considering a Windows phone now. And if their app solution really works....oh boy
    Their app situation is supposedly somewhat better than BlackBerry's, but still weak. At least some of the common complaints about the OS will be alleviated with WP10. Supposedly, they're going to make the OS available as a ROM to Android users, too. If this works, I think it's a brilliant move. Androiders will be able to flash it and use it without going out and buying a WP phone. I imagine those who do will show up as WP users on their servers, so that will bring a quick influx of new users to the platform, even ahead of device sales. That should interest developers.

Plus, a new WP flagship device is rumored to be coming soon, timed with the launch of WP10. I think Microsoft has carefully set things up to create a nice convergence in the fall, to give the platform a solid bump. I'll be watching with interest.

I don't believe it's truly on the carrier. Its money. The carrier pushes are cheaper on the company. I think this is what I've read before. Could be wrong.
    If so, that answers the question. BlackBerry can't afford to do anything the more expensive way.
    walt63 and kbz1960 like this.
    05-16-15 09:19 AM
    Microsoft may also be taking on customer support functions for the upgrades. They have a huge infrastructure in place to support that if they choose to do so.

Posted via CB10
    walt63 and kbz1960 like this.
    05-16-15 09:23 AM

The main issue is who provides first line support. All BlackBerry OS updates come from BlackBerry servers so the cost of hosting and distribution is born but them anyway. But if a company is going to provide first line support, they generally have some say in what they are supporting.

Setting up a world wide support nets to provide first line support may be the expense you've heard about.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2708 SR 10.3.1.1865
    walt63 and RyanGermann like this.
    05-16-15 09:28 AM
    But if a company is going to provide first line support, they generally have some say in what they are supporting.

Setting up a world wide support nets to provide first line support may be the expense you've heard about.
    I think you're right. I makes total sense.

It seems that everyone is tired of the carrier BS. Google is even taking on the carriers but with a slightly different approach - OS components as applications via Google Play.
    05-16-15 10:11 PM
    BlackBerry pushed out the latest updates to unlocked phones. So they are doing something in that space.

Official PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    05-17-15 02:58 AM
    I'm skeptical. I wonder if this means that the US carriers will just refuse to sell Windows 10 Mobile devices.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
    05-17-15 03:02 AM
    I'm skeptical. I wonder if this means that the US carriers will just refuse to sell Windows 10 Mobile devices.

That would be such an unfair move. I'm loving Microsoft's vision lately and also the progress they've made. They pretty much have a plan worth the success right now. Now to see if it pays off, which I do hope it will
    05-17-15 03:52 AM

Why? I see absolutely no reason for carriers to deal with updates. Besides, they only promote iOS and Android anyway.
    05-17-15 04:22 AM
    It's always a crazy thing. I never could understand why bbry issues updates only after the approval.
    This does not make any sense.

Because anyway, how often you or anyone you know calls carrier foor advice regarding something connected with os?
    Usually anything connected with os is sort of "when, you twats, plan to release the update?"

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    05-17-15 06:43 AM
    BlackBerry pushed out the latest updates to unlocked phones. So they are doing something in that space.
    I have bought at least 7 unlocked BB10 devices, and not even once I was able to download the latest software without a corresponding sim that had released the update. So, I am not sure how it all works. Mind you, none of the devices were purchased from ShopBlackberry. So, that may be the difference!
    05-17-15 07:38 AM
    Microsoft's new leadership finds solutions while the previous CEO was stuck in mud. Watch out for them.
    05-17-15 07:59 AM
    It's always a crazy thing. I never could understand why bbry issues updates only after the approval.
    This does not make any sense.
    It makes sense when you consider that if the update fails to work properly, the carrier gets the service calls. The iPhone avoids this to some extent by having their own independent service network. BlackBerry has never had that, and can't afford it anyway. Microsoft can afford it, and that may be what they plan to do, as bb10adopter111 suggested above.

I think Microsoft understands very well that mobile is a big part of the future of computing, and that they were late to the game. They've been lining up their products and services for a few years in preparation for going all in. They want to offer the best of what Apple and Android offer: Devices that are simple and fluid to operate, with a curated app store, and a suite of first-rate PIM and productivity services. WP 7, 8, and 8.1 have essentially been beta products, but the big move, I believe, is coming with WP10 + Windows 10. If they can duplicate Apple's service network without pumping up the price too much, I think they'll be in a position to get some serious momentum going.

I say this as someone who hasn't used WP since 7.5, but I've been very interested in what they've been doing.
    05-17-15 03:37 PM
    My understanding from the article is that Microsoft is controlling OS updates after the Windows 10 update. Carrier approval will still be needed to update from 8.1 to Windows 10.

It's a good move. Maybe it will open the door to BlackBerry being able to do the same thing. Chen did say in a twitter post that they are working to improve support. They are also pushing OS updates to the phones they sell directly. Chen is rebuilding the relationship with carriers to get them to carry the products. I'm not sure how far he can push them to also allow independent OS updates though.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 07:37 AM
    Carriers would be happy to let manufacturers push updates if the manufacturer handles support and replacement of devices related to updates. So long as there is no enabling of unauthorized services, such as data tethering for some contracts, why would they care?

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 06:37 PM
    I think carriers will force MS to use an opt-in approach for carrier sold devices so that users once they enroll into MS direct updates know they can't go to carriers for that support.
    05-18-15 06:52 PM