Hi guys,

I think I briefly mentioned this a few months back but no one seemed to know anything about it (as it got no responses), but I am hoping someone may know something now.

I've had this bug on my phone for a few months now. I haven't tried refreshing my OS yet, I want that to be a last resort, but wanted to know if this problem has even been identified as of yet?

Basically the problem I am having - if ANY app uses the File Manager to select a piece of media, for example:

-Sending a picture/video on WhatsApp
    -Uploading a picture to any app or website (Instagram, Facebook etc)
    -Saving a picture from the internet (this brings up the File Manager to choose where to save it)

File Manager will then crash as soon as it's opened. The only way out is to close the app itself that was using File Manager.

What I have narrowed it to - when I first switch my phone on, I can save/upload/send a piece of media as normal. But once I have done this once, it cannot be done again - as soon as File Manager opens, it looks like its still in the same "session", and just frozen in place. I can't go back, or click on any folders. The only thing I can do is close the app. The problem persists until I restart the phone again.

I have been getting around this by uploading pictures to Instagram and sending pictures on WhatsApp by opening the picture first in my picture viewer, and choosing "Share" - this does not require the use of File Manager.

However, it is extremely annoying since I can't do something like use any photo editing apps. If I restart my phone, and upload a photo to a photo editing app, once I'm done, if I press save it will open File Manager to select where to save it which will obviously crash since I used File Manager to open the picture in the first place.

I do hope this is making sense...

To anyone still following - it is very interesting to note that the app "File Manager" itself works like a charm, and has no problems ever. It's just when other apps use File Manager to select a photo or video to send or upload.

Does ANYONE else have this issue?? It's not temporary, and there have been at least 2 OS updates since it started happening which have not resolved it in the slightest.

One more thing which I suspect - it could possibly be that I have too much media? I've got about 20,000 pieces of media (pictures + videos courtesy of WhatsApp groups...), could it be possible that this would cause the File Manager to keep crashing?

Lastly, just to clarify again - the problem is that once I open a picture, if I want to do anything again, it seems like it's kept that last session from using File Manager running - for example, if I save a picture from the internet, and then later on send a photo through WhatsApp - File Manager opens INSTANTLY as if it was already running, and at the top it's got the file name of the picture I saved before and "save" at the top as if I'm trying to look for a place to save it.

It's very, very weird to say the least and extremely annoying. If it comes down to it I will have to refresh my OS which I really do not want to do.

Sorry for the essay guys - please let there be anyone who can help?
    07-18-14 10:48 AM
    We've never had this issue on any of our BlackBerry 10 products. Perhaps try moving all your files to your computer, then format your media card in the phone. Add a couple of pics and try again to see if it crashes.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-14 12:26 PM
    I've never experienced this issue before - so my suggestion may be completely irrelevant - but have you tried waiting for a few seconds after the File Manager is invoked?

Reason being, my File Manager needs a second or two to load / refresh (when invoked inside an app like BBM for example). It will immediately show my most recently saved item but it will then need a few seconds to show the rest of the content. There will be no response if I try to select that first photograph without first letting load / refresh.

Perhaps your File Manager needs a bit longer to fully load / refresh seeing as you have a lot of media? Also, which folder or drive is it defaulting to? If it's the SD card, then read speeds may also come into play (as in the slower the read speed, the longer you may have to wait).

Again, just shooting from the hip here as I've never encountered this issue before.

I hope it helps - if not, let's hope someone else can shed some light on things.

Fingers crossed.

NB - I haven't ignored the fact that you said the app sometimes crashes on launch. I'm just going off the bit where you said that it appears like the last session was frozen.
    07-18-14 12:32 PM
    Also, as a first step - have you checked your app permissions to make sure they can access your shared media and files?
    07-18-14 12:38 PM
    I've never experienced this issue before - so my suggestion may be completely irrelevant - but have you tried waiting for a few seconds after the File Manager is invoked?

Reason being, my File Manager needs a second or two to load / refresh (when invoked inside an app like BBM for example). It will immediately show my most recently saved item but it will then need a few seconds to show the rest of the content. There will be no response if I try to select that first photograph without first letting load / refresh.

Perhaps your File Manager needs a bit longer to fully load / refresh seeing as you have a lot of media? Also, which folder or drive is it defaulting to? If it's the SD card, then read speeds may also come into play (as in the slower the read speed, the longer you may have to wait).

Again, just shooting from the hip here as I've never encountered this issue before.

I hope it helps - if not, let's hope someone else can shed some light on things.

Fingers crossed.

NB - I haven't ignored the fact that you said the app sometimes crashes on launch. I'm just going off the bit where you said that it appears like the last session was frozen.
    Hi, thanks for your input. Yeah I've tried that, I thought it would need to load too. At one point I left it on the side for a couple of hours just to see if it was a loading issue, but hours later, it's still the same and I can't press anything on there. I'll upload screenshots to show you what I mean. It definitely appears as though the last session was frozen. Such a weird, crazy bug.

Also, as a first step - have you checked your app permissions to make sure they can access your shared media and files?
    The app permissions are definitely fine, it wouldn't be anything to do with that. Because when I first switch the phone on, I can use the app with no problem. It's just once I've accessed my media through the app once, I can't do it again as that session is frozen. I'll upload screenshots
    07-19-14 03:52 AM
    We've never had this issue on any of our BlackBerry 10 products. Perhaps try moving all your files to your computer, then format your media card in the phone. Add a couple of pics and try again to see if it crashes.

Posted via CB10
    Hi, thank you - yes I'll have to try that. One reason I didn't want to do that though, is that creates a WhatsApp bug for me (not sure if others too?) - if I remove my memory card, then have WhatsApp save media to the phone memory, once I put the memory card back in the the phone, if I go to a WhatsApp group chat for example and look at all the media that's been sent in the group, I can't open any from there. I can see the thumbnails, but they won't open. I can open them the normal way, just not through the Media section of the WhatsApp group. And, as I have around 18,000-20,000 bits of media, I'd prefer to be able to find them through the individual groups than in my gallery where they are all together if that makes sense?
    07-19-14 03:55 AM
    Okay here we go.

1st: I save a picture from the internet, say facebook.

Media / File Manager Bug-img_20140719_100256.png

2nd: I try to send a picture on WhatApp, but this instantly appears on my screen:

Media / File Manager Bug-img_20140719_100355.png

3rd: typing anything and pressing save does not work. I can press "Media Card" at the bottom and select through something different, such as "Device" but it doesn't actually do anything:

Media / File Manager Bug-img_20140719_100417.pngMedia / File Manager Bug-img_20140719_100421.png

4th: This is the most interesting part. This OS can mostly go "back" by swiping right, from the left. If I do that while on this frozen screen, the previous screen where I saved the pic instantly appears as if I was going back from that, and then going to my current screen. Example:

Media / File Manager Bug-img_20140719_100437.png

So, so weird. So it looks like my only solution is to try the memory card thing then, or refresh my OS? Is there anyone else who has this much media saved?

For the record, I have a class 10 Sandisc 32GB micro SD, so there should be no issues there.
    07-19-14 04:17 AM
    I have been experiencing a similar issue with file manager also. I can save a file okay once without file manager bugging out but once i attempt to do it more than once, file manager freezes and seems to reset itself after waiting about 20 secs (guesstimating) before I can save the next file. This happens whether I am saving to the device or memory card. This is definitely a bug and I have been having this issue from previous builds.

My annoying work around has been to screen capture and then crop, but as you can imagine, the user experience of going through extra steps is quite disheartening.

Can anyone let us know if this problem still exist in 10.3?
    08-01-14 02:34 PM