Is there a way to mask my gmail address when sending a message on Z10? Or U
    Outlook for that matter?

Our work email can only be set up via POP3 and its a nightmare. I want to forward these to either outlook or gmail, however I don't want my business clients to see the outlook or gmail address when received.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
    03-22-13 05:12 PM
    As far as I know, what you are asking for is not possible with any platform.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 05:45 PM
    As far as I know, what you are asking for is not possible with any platform.

Posted via CB10
    No, this isn't correct, as I do it myself on my Z10 - however, I wouldn't use gmail, as the underlying email account...

I've got a nice email address at a domain that I own, that sits on Fasthosts server. However, I don't pay for "email services" from them. I simply have the email that is sent to "[email protected]" (my nice email address) auto-forwarded to an email address of my choice - I happen to use a Yahoo email address to receive it on.

When you set up the email account on your Z10, you need to enter:

Display Name: Your Name
    username: my Yahoo email address
    Email Address: my nice "myvillage" email address
    Password: My yahoo email password

Server Address: rim.imap.mail.yahoo.com
    Port: 993
    Encryption: SSL
    IMAP Prefix: (blank)

SMTP Username: my yahoo email address
    SMTP Password: my yahoo email address
    SMTP Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk
    SMTP Port: 465
    SMTP Encryption: SSL

This works just fine - this means that the recipient will always see my nice village email address in the FROM field when they receive an email, and when they reply, it will automatically be sent back to this same email address (which is auto-forwarded from the Fasthosts server) back to the Yahoo account eventually and picked up on both handset and computer whenever...

You can't use gmail, as they actively meddle with your mail - I've tried this, and whenever you send and outbound "masked" email that goes through their SMTP server, the email ends up with the receipient seeing:

my nice village email sent on behalf of my crappy email address at gmail.com -

They actually change the email properties as it passes through their SMTP servers - Virgin Media do the exact same if they're your broadband provider and you route your outbound email through it (which is why we moved to Orange - who don't, and who don't throttle back your speed if they don't like how much you've downloaded!)

Anyway - it works, and is about the only way it can be done. In fact, I was on here trying to find out a solution to set up my wife's email account (using the exact same principles as the above) on her BB Bold 9900 handset (it's her first BB experience), but the BIS service on BB7 doesn't give me the same flexibility to manually amend every field when setting up an email account - or at least I thought it did, as I sure I had this working on my old BB Torch 9800 which also ran BB7 a goodly while ago. I'm trying to do this same thing on BB7 and coming up against a brick wall at the moment!

P.S. you can use the exact same principles to set up the same masked email system within MS Outlook too. Again, use Yahoo as the "working" email account rather than gmail.

PPS - you will also need to "verify" the masked email address within Yahoo's email system (input it as an "alternative" email address for contacting you on, before it will allow the outbound relaying through their SMTP servers.
    Last edited by rjsdavis; 05-28-14 at 12:21 PM.
    05-28-14 12:10 PM