I'm not sure I'd consider it carrier gouging. I moved my $30/6GB BIS data plan from my Torch 9800 to my Z10. People are paying $30 for 500MB now. I have no $5 BlackBerry service fee on my bill.

BB10 never used BIS, so I am unsure how the carrier can enable/disable certain functions like this.

If it really is the case, then I want my BIS email service back
    Let me guess... you're in Canada? You can thank the combination of the brilliant government of Canada eliminating the 3yr contract in a strictly political move, and the oligopoly using that as an opportunity to shift their plans around to capitalize on the insatiable appetite for data we have. Supply and demand at its finest. Hang on to that 6gb plan for as long as you can. The hardware subsidies don't justify the newer, more expensive plans.

But anyhow, those bis fees were previously paid by the carrier and invisible to the customer. In the case of Bell, I believe they managed to enforce the fake bb10 bis policy through a simple soc code. They smartened up after hearing enough complaints (well documented in these forums) and wasting time and money on troubleshooting issues with it. I sense that this too, was a ploy to shift customers to newer, less data-rich plans.
    ssbtech likes this.
    12-28-14 01:12 AM
    it is the same with Etisalat over here in the UAE. They do not get it and you have to have a blackberry package to use bbm. even on wifi... they do just not allow the service.. i had tried it for over 9 months to make these idiots understand, but it is all about the money...
    We are in the same boat : Etisalat just bought Vivendi's parts of Maroc Telecom. They own 51% of the company now.

Making money this way is insane and this is killing blackberry's business.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-28-14 03:47 AM
    We are in the same boat : Etisalat just bought Vivendi's parts of Maroc Telecom. They own 51% of the company now.

Making money this way is insane and this is killing blackberry's business.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Really sorry man, but there are not a lot of things we can do to presure them.

We have there the same problem that with our app market (Blackberry World).
    We are not enough users to be considered and respected as phone user.
    I guess if there was millions of Blackberries in Morocco for exemple, Etisalat would have made there homework. But since we are not a lot of users anymore...

We can still hope, that with time they will work to solve the issue: Maroc Telecom as the few remaining carriers that are not BB10 compliant yet 2 years after the launch!

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 04:02 AM
    Really sorry man, but there are not a lot of things we can do to presure them.

We have there the same problem that with our app market (Blackberry World).
    We are not enough users to be considered and respected as phone user.
    I guess if there was millions of Blackberries in Morocco for exemple, Etisalat would have made there homework. But since we are not a lot of users anymore...

We can still hope, that with time they will work to solve the issue: Maroc Telecom as the few remaining carriers that are not BB10 compliant yet 2 years after the launch!

Posted via CB10
    At least I will try to talk with someone from the top management of Maroc Telecom and push something to BlackBerry friends of EMEA board. We have to change the things !

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-28-14 05:10 AM
    At least I will try to talk with someone from the top management of Maroc Telecom and push something to BlackBerry friends of EMEA board. We have to change the things !

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Nice spirit! Good luck with them...
    Keep us informed.

Posted via CB10
    FR33MAN likes this.
    12-28-14 05:30 AM
    My sister has bbm working on her iPhone. She is not paying anything to have bbm working but she has meditel.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 07:55 AM
    My sister has bbm working on her iPhone. She is not paying anything to have bbm working but she has meditel.

Posted via CB10
    Forget iPhone. iPhone does not use the same thing as BB10 as far as I know. If I put my friends sim card in my phone BBM won't work, if I connect through wifi from his phone it works. His carrier doesn't support services which sucks balls. I hope BlackBerry can do something about it, I can't get cheaper plan because those carriers don't support BlackBerry
    12-28-14 09:14 AM
    If you go back and read what BlackBerry actually published, it is up to the carrier to decide whether to require BlackBerry Internet Service or not. BlackBerry does not require it. I don't have it now with Virgin Mobile Canada, all BlackBerry services work, but this was not always the case. When I first got my Z10 both Bell Canada and Virgin Mobile required BIS activation for BB10 devices. About all you can do is go to another carrier, as I did, until they change. Or pay the fee.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    100% correct.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 09:25 AM
    Sound like some carriers are just trying to line their pockets.
    Yass85 likes this.
    12-28-14 09:37 AM
    You really want to test it download BBM on to your iPhone or Android and see if your carrier blocks it.

The app runs through the same BlackBerry service. If it works tell your carrier to **** off.
    12-28-14 10:04 AM
    You need to take this to Michael Clewley, BlackBerry needs to know! This is unacceptable!

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 12:06 PM
    You really want to test it download BBM on to your iPhone or Android and see if your carrier blocks it.

The app runs through the same BlackBerry service. If it works tell your carrier to **** off.
    That's not a true test at all-- it's a technical barrier the carriers have put on specific to BlackBerry 10 devices. They could have just as easily not implemented this restriction, but some like the op's did in the spirit of lining their pockets.
    12-28-14 01:14 PM
    I still want to know how carriers can block certain features of a non BIS device.

They liked BIS for older devices because they could offer specific messaging or data package plans, but I don't see how it's possible in new devices.

Like I said earlier, if there's BIS like features on BB10, then I want my BIS email back.
    12-28-14 01:35 PM
    I still want to know how carriers can block certain features of a non BIS device.

They liked BIS for older devices because they could offer specific messaging or data package plans, but I don't see how it's possible in new devices.

Like I said earlier, if there's BIS like features on BB10, then I want my BIS email back.
    Could that be because you don't know how BIS, and BES for that matter, are implemented?

The simple explanation is that BlackBerry has an element of their network operation centre in the carriers' cellular data network. BIS/BES traffic is routed through this element to the NOC over a network link maintained by BlackBerry. It is simple network traffic routing that starts with the APN. Because it is in the cellular data network, routing can also be based on identifying information pertaining to the phone. So non BlackBerry devices can be prevented from using the BlackBerry network. Also BlackBerry devices can be required to use the BlackBerry network, or not depending on how the carrier sets up the routing.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    robsteve and spyeagle like this.
    12-28-14 02:14 PM
    Could that be because you don't know how BIS, and BES for that matter, are implemented?

The simple explanation is that BlackBerry has an element of their network operation centre in the carriers' cellular data network. BIS/BES traffic is routed through this element to the NOC over a network link maintained by BlackBerry. It is simple network traffic routing that starts with the APN. Because it is in the cellular data network, routing can also be based on identifying information pertaining to the phone. So non BlackBerry devices can be prevented from using the BlackBerry network. Also BlackBerry devices can be required to use the BlackBerry network, or not depending on how the carrier sets up the routing.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    Exactly that!

Posted via CB10
    Yass85 likes this.
    12-28-14 03:03 PM

With the same sim card it works just fine on iphone and Samsung with Android.

It's only blocked on BlackBerry phones.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-28-14 03:04 PM
    Exactly that!

Posted via CB10
    Yes right. I totally agree.

But if BlackBerry stated that bis is not needed anymore and gave to ios and android the same services than it has to be the same on a non BES connected BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-28-14 03:06 PM
    You need to take this to Michael Clewley, BlackBerry needs to know! This is unacceptable!

Posted via CB10
    Hello, can you get in touch with him ?

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-28-14 03:17 PM
    Hello, can you get in touch with him ?

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Twitter

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    12-28-14 04:23 PM
    Twitter

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    Can't send him a private message

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-28-14 04:39 PM
    Carriers can definitely control which services are allowed on their network. I have experienced VPN and bit torrent blocking.

What surprises me is that some here can't use BBM on wifi!? How can the carrier affect your wifi services? Is BBM tied to phone/carrier locking? It should work without a SIM card, shouldn't it?
    12-28-14 05:33 PM
    As far as I know BB10 still uses the BIS infrastructure for certain things like BBM or email setup, so if the carriers paid for it and can't cash on it anymore I can imagine they might be a little upset.
    TheAuthority likes this.
    12-28-14 05:43 PM
    As far as I know BB10 still uses the BIS infrastructure for certain things like BBM or email setup, so if the carriers paid for it and can't cash on it anymore I can imagine they might be a little upset.
    This is not true. You yes can use bis on BlackBerry 10 but it's not mandatory. If you pay it you have bis features for email and secure connection, if not you have the push mail and the free services as bbm protect and blend for customers.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-28-14 06:05 PM
    Carriers can definitely control which services are allowed on their network. I have experienced VPN and bit torrent blocking.

What surprises me is that some here can't use BBM on wifi!? How can the carrier affect your wifi services? Is BBM tied to phone/carrier locking? It should work without a SIM card, shouldn't it?
    No they can't tell you that if you want to use bbm for free drop you BlackBerry and go on Android or Iphone !

How the hell this can be explained ?!

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-28-14 06:14 PM
    This is not true. You yes can use bis on BlackBerry 10 but it's not mandatory. If you pay it you have bis features for email and secure connection, if not you have the push mail and the free services as bbm protect and blend for customers.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    I didn't say BIs plans, I said BIS infrastructure that carriers need to have in order to provide BIS plans.
    12-28-14 06:20 PM
153 1234 ...