Belfastdisp - you are wrong here.

Ok, here's the trick:
    Pull out sim card, boot phone. Connect via wifi. Everything works.

If not, either provider is blocking it, either you have some problems with ip addresses (i.e. Bad dns)

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    12-28-14 06:27 PM

Ok, here's the trick:

If not, either provider is blocking it, either you have some problems with ip addresses (i.e. Bad dns)

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    That's not proof of anything in afraid, wifi is one thing, carrier network another
    12-28-14 06:37 PM
    I didn't say BIs plans, I said BIS infrastructure that carriers need to have in order to provide BIS plans.
    No one have to pay for a company's infrastructure. They are the only to have to. They have an infrastructure to provide services. And this is the same for every user on every plateforme. BIS is over.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-28-14 06:40 PM

Ok, here's the trick:

Everything works on wifi

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-28-14 06:40 PM
    No one have to pay for a company's infrastructure. They are the only to have to. They have an infrastructure to provide services. And this is the same for every user on every plateforme. BIS is over.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    In order for the BIS to work carriers have had to install hardware at their end, hardware that BIS and BES used to connect to the NOCs.

Sounds like BB10 taps into that for certain things.
    12-28-14 06:50 PM
    In order for the BIS to work carriers have had to install hardware at their end, hardware that BIS and BES used to connect to the NOCs.

Sounds like BB10 taps into that for certain things.
    In order to use the BIS infrastructure you would have to be using a BlackBerry APN. BlackBerry.net or one of several others.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    12-28-14 07:24 PM
    That's not proof of anything in afraid, wifi is one thing, carrier network another
    you see, with BIS, you had to register the device, get service books etc. that's why you could not use BBM over wifi if you didn;t have BIS plan.
    chalx likes this.
    12-28-14 07:30 PM
    you see, with BIS, you had to register the device, get service books etc. that's why you could not use BBM over wifi if you didn;t have BIS plan.
    True !

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-28-14 07:34 PM
    I would LOVE to get BIS service again. Push emails were great on my old BlackBerry Curve...yes it was an extra charge...glad to pay it and have it...sorry it's gone I the US on BlackBerry 10.

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10 on10.3.1.1154
    12-29-14 12:20 AM
    Yes I know, but the fact is BB10 does use the NOCs, BB10 still has the BB symbol beside the signal indicator and guess what, if the symbol is gone certain BB10 services stop working.

I never said its full BIS, but they still use the BIS infrastructure somehow.
    12-29-14 05:18 AM
    I am still pushing with Maroc Telecom to get full BlackBerry services as I should have.

They claim that Maroc Telecom propose BBM as a paid service because they decided that BIS wa mandatory for BBM on BlackBerry only.
    A answered that it was simply against BlackBerry's business or a nonsense rule.

I am being called back by the product manager this afternoon.

To be continued...

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-29-14 07:34 AM
    I've seen carriers enforce certain rules even without bis. Rogers enforced bbm video to be a paid service (wouldn't even work on wifi!), and also Bell bb10 devices at first launch would only work with certain data plans (they eventually backed off this policy and removed that restriction I believe). So I'm not so sure being on an android/iPhone data plan will work. Definitely worth trying though.
    Rogers does not enforced BBM video to be a paid service. I've been on Rogers for years, don't have a BIS plan or anything special on my plan (Rogers does not even know I am using a BB) yet BBM video and everything else works fine.

That being said, some carriers have made the choice to charge clients even though extra service is not required. BB has no control over this.
    12-29-14 07:49 AM
    Yes I know, but the fact is BB10 does use the NOCs, BB10 still has the BB symbol beside the signal indicator and guess what, if the symbol is gone certain BB10 services stop working.

I never said its full BIS, but they still use the BIS infrastructure somehow.
    That BB symbol means nothing more than phone has established connection to BlackBerry servers. (you need that if you want BBM running.)
    Previously, with BIS, without bb symbol you could not have bbm or email, or almost any other service. With bb10 - you get email regardless BlackBerry symbol

12-29-14 08:32 AM
    That BB symbol means nothing more than phone has established connection to BlackBerry servers. (you need that if you want BBM running.)
    Previously, with BIS, without bb symbol you could not have bbm or email, or almost any other service. With bb10 - you get email regardless BlackBerry symbol

Yes, exactly my point, what if to get that symbol on and to use BBM in BB10 some use of the special Legacy BIS and BES hardware carriers had to install still happens? I would say carriers would have the right to be a little annoyed.

Also email still works while the BB symbol is not there but you can no longer set up a new account by just entering the email address and password, you would have to enter all settings manually.
    12-29-14 08:36 AM
    If bbm is free on other plateformes than it has to be free on BlackBerry and if it's paid on BlackBerry it has to be paid on the others.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-29-14 08:53 AM
    If bbm is free on other plateformes than it has to be free on BlackBerry and if it's paid on BlackBerry it has to be paid on the others.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    It is free, it is carriers pulling a quick one as most people have the misconception that BlackBerry's require a special plan, so why not take advantage of that and make some extra money.
    12-29-14 09:08 AM
    Yes, exactly my point, what if to get that symbol on and to use BBM in BB10 some use of the special Legacy BIS and BES hardware carriers had to install still happens? I would say carriers would have the right to be a little annoyed.

Also email still works while the BB symbol is not there but you can no longer set up a new account by just entering the email address and password, you would have to enter all settings manually.
    This is just wrong. In order to connect to BlackBerry server, PREVIOUSLY all traffic had to be routed through BIS or BES as it was some sort of VPN.

With bb10 phone acts as any other platform: ios, android, windows. It just connects to x.x.x.x:xxx ip and port and it works.
    In this case, carrier probably blocks ip/port for BlackBerry phones.
    Option could be to use some sort of vpn for mobile, as op said it works fine on wifi (meaning bis is not required).

Wonder if OP tied following:
    1) check APNs/ip addresses from friends/coleagues androids/ios who's bbm works.
    2) did you talk to operator, saying that you have a regular android device, therefore you do not need bis anymore?

12-29-14 09:26 AM
    I've seen carriers enforce certain rules even without bis. Rogers enforced bbm video to be a paid service (wouldn't even work on wifi!),
    definitely not true. BBM Video was never a paid service on Rogers via mobile network/wifi. Same with my girlfriend's Z30 on Bell.

Not sure where you got that info from but it definitely is not right. If yours didn't work, you just encountered a bug so all you had to do was uninstall BBM and reinstall it.

if you are talking about BBM Meetings (3+ person group video chat) that is not Rogers/Bell's doing that is BlackBerry's doing
    12-29-14 09:28 AM
    This is just wrong. In order to connect to BlackBerry server, PREVIOUSLY all traffic had to be routed through BIS or BES as it was some sort of VPN.

With bb10 phone acts as any other platform: ios, android, windows. It just connects to x.x.x.x:xxx ip and port and it works.
    Option could be to use some sort of vpn for mobile, as op said it works fine on wifi (meaning bis is not required).

2) did you talk to operator, saying that you have a regular android device, therefore you do not need bis anymore?

You're only thinking device to carrier connection, you don't know what happens from carrier to NOC, you can't just connect to the NOCS using a normal internet connection.
    12-29-14 09:30 AM
    You're only thinking device to carrier connection, you don't know what happens from carrier to NOC, you can't just connect to the NOCS using a normal internet connection.
    Not exactly true for newer services. Otherwise cross platform would not work.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-29-14 09:33 AM
    To bellfastdispatcher, when I turn off wireless and go through WiFi, I can connect to the noc. Your statement is wrong.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 09:35 AM
    Not exactly true for newer services. Otherwise cross platform would not work.
    For that matter Wifi on BBOS devices would not work either then.
    12-29-14 09:36 AM
    To bellfastdispatcher, when I turn off wireless and go through WiFi, I can connect to the noc. Your statement is wrong.

Posted via CB10
    Same as BBOS, I'm not sure what your point is.
    12-29-14 09:48 AM

Tried both.
    1/ APN on android and Z10 are the same.
    On Android, everything is just fine. On Z10 : Browser, push mail and BlackBerry World work. BBM Whatsapp Protect Viber etc... are bloqued due to "phone failed to connect to BlackBerry Server"

2/they claim that my BB10 device is set up as a regular android phone for browsing only. BlackBerry Services as BBM must be paid as a special service for 300 Dhs VAT (37.5 USD).

NB : I am still waiting for the Product Manager to call me back. I think it will take long...

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    12-29-14 09:55 AM
    A lot of arguing about this....

But it seems to me that if a carrier wants to continue to make more money off of BlackBerry users they can do it if they want to... it's their network. And I'm sure they are smart enough to figure out how to block the communication between a BlackBerry and the NOC.

It's why we really need to have options in the choice of Carriers....
    kbz1960 and ediggity like this.
    12-29-14 10:31 AM
153 12345 ...