Lately, I've been addicted to the Shortcutme and NFCLauncher app. I've been creating macros on my phone and setting up NFC tags to help make me more efficient and save time. I have one in my car, by my bed, at work, on my laptop and one on the back of my TV remote to launch BB Remote for my PlayBook (for when OS 2.0 launches).

A lot of my friends and colleagues have been asking me what these "stickers" are. After explaining it to them, they all think it's pretty cool and would love to be able to use it themselves. Macros, however, are not that easy to setup.

When BB10 drops, RIM really needs to find a way to get the most out of NFC. They need an app that helps those who are technologically handicapped to set up various macros.

But here's where the marketing aspect kicks in...

RIM needs to sell their own NFC stickers with the BB logo (7 dots) on it. When people set up these NFC stickers with the BB logo on it, it'll be akin to RIM getting free advertising. The more they see the BB logo, the better!!

I know that NFC is not a new technology, but many people in North America have no idea what it is or how to use it. RIM needs to capitalize on this! They need to make the BB logo synonymous with NFC Tag.

What do you guys think??!?
    02-12-12 04:17 PM
    I think that's an excellent idea. They should put the BB sign on the tags

So how does it work...you stick the tag on a surface and...what, does the phone touch the tag

Where do you buy those tags...how many do you get...are they white

This is another reason for RIM to have some kind of display in carrier stores. Put a couple of tags by the phone and customers can see the change in the phone
    02-12-12 07:34 PM
    I think that's an excellent idea. They should put the BB sign on the tags

So how does it work...you stick the tag on a surface and...what, does the phone touch the tag

Where do you buy those tags...how many do you get...are they white

This is another reason for RIM to have some kind of display in carrier stores. Put a couple of tags by the phone and customers can see the change in the phone
    I think some BB tags should come with the phones. They could be multi-colored, but the BB logo can be shiny silver, like on the back of the PlayBook.
    02-12-12 09:04 PM
    All excellent ideas. VERY good ideas.

I think they should provide like 5 tags with London to get people started with it. And they should have the BB logo on it.

And like OP said, make NFC tags synonymous with BB. Which would be awesome.
    02-12-12 11:43 PM
    It is a very good idea to put some tags in BB box.
    It is odd that RIM haven't done this already.

Regarding macros, the new version of ShortcutMe will have custom function feature. It allows users to download a macro file from any online page and start using it as a function (like for example MemoPad_New function).
    The downloaded macro function will take care of configurations needed for spesific BB OS and settings.

Currently our logs show that a lot of people are macro'ing, but this new feature will hopefully bring ShortcutMe macros to many users who don't find macros easy.
    02-18-12 08:04 AM
    Will it be enough to save RIM? No. Nut still, it is a start
    02-18-12 08:17 AM
    I think this idea is great! It would make for very good commercials. RIM didn't invent NFC, but like Apple does, they can make it look as though they did. Maybe brand it even as something like "BlackBerry Tap" with a tagline of "Stay in touch without saying a word."

A few scenarios...

- "Know your children are safe"... A child arrives home from school and once entering the front door of their house, taps his/her phone on a conveniently placed BB Tap tag which automatically sends a BBM to his/her parents... "Jenny is home."

- "Get help quickly"... A red EMERGENCY-labeled tag can be programmed to automatically call 911 and send BBMs to several contacts. Tags can be placed beside beds to report home invasions, in the workplace to silently report robberies or injuries, in a car to report an accident. Tags could also be attached somewhere on the body, such as the back of a piece of jewellery so that if the wearer is injured, assaulted or panicked, they could easily request help with a tap.

- "Get a good nights sleep"... A tag on your nightstand could change your sound profile so you don't get woken up, set your alarm to a specific time, and also update your BBM status to "Gone to bed. Talk to you when I'm awake!".

- "Get fit"... Place tags on your workout equipment and refrigerator/cabinets which would trigger fitness apps and make it easy to log your workouts and calories. Could also report your workouts via BBM or Facebook etc to encourage yourself and others.

- "Make driving safer"... Place a tag in your in your car to automatically let people know you're on the road and to change your BBM status to "Driving. Will reply to messages once parked."

Those are a few "lifestyle" uses that popped into mind. You could use the tags to accomplish pretty much anything but what seems to work in Apples marketing is showing how the feature improves your everyday family life.

Unfortunately, while writing this, I noticed the beginnings of something similar to what we're discussing. RIM better move it!...

Xperia SmartTags app now available to download from the Android Market
    Xperia SmartTags app available to download from the Android Market | MobileSyrup.com
    quik4life likes this.
    02-18-12 03:27 PM
    I think this idea is great! It would make for very good commercials. RIM didn't invent NFC, but like Apple does, they can make it look as though they did. Maybe brand it even as something like "BlackBerry Tap" with a tagline of "Stay in touch without saying a word."

A few scenarios...

- "Know your children are safe"... A child arrives home from school and once entering the front door of their house, taps his/her phone on a conveniently placed BB Tap tag which automatically sends a BBM to his/her parents... "Jenny is home."

- "Get help quickly"... A red EMERGENCY-labeled tag can be programmed to automatically call 911 and send BBMs to several contacts. Tags can be placed beside beds to report home invasions, in the workplace to silently report robberies or injuries, in a car to report an accident. Tags could also be attached somewhere on the body, such as the back of a piece of jewellery so that if the wearer is injured, assaulted or panicked, they could easily request help with a tap.

- "Get a good nights sleep"... A tag on your nightstand could change your sound profile so you don't get woken up, set your alarm to a specific time, and also update your BBM status to "Gone to bed. Talk to you when I'm awake!".

- "Get fit"... Place tags on your workout equipment and refrigerator/cabinets which would trigger fitness apps and make it easy to log your workouts and calories. Could also report your workouts via BBM or Facebook etc to encourage yourself and others.

- "Make driving safer"... Place a tag in your in your car to automatically let people know you're on the road and to change your BBM status to "Driving. Will reply to messages once parked."

Those are a few "lifestyle" uses that popped into mind. You could use the tags to accomplish pretty much anything but what seems to work in Apples marketing is showing how the feature improves your everyday family life.

Unfortunately, while writing this, I noticed the beginnings of something similar to what we're discussing. RIM better move it!...

Xperia SmartTags app available to download from the Android Market | MobileSyrup.com
    Yeah... why not?
    02-18-12 04:21 PM
    Will it be enough to save RIM? No. Nut still, it is a start
    No, but BB10 will.
    02-18-12 04:31 PM

A few scenarios...

Very cool ideas!
    Hope someone from RIM Marketing read your post.

Most of those tag ideas can be realized with NFCShortcuts app and macros in ShortcutMe.
    Please consider mentioning your brilliant ideas in this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...as-all-659273/

Cheers.
    02-18-12 04:41 PM
    Lately, I've been addicted to the Shortcutme and NFCLauncher app. I've been creating macros on my phone and setting up NFC tags to help make me more efficient and save time. I have one in my car, by my bed, at work, on my laptop and one on the back of my TV remote to launch BB Remote for my PlayBook (for when OS 2.0 launches).

A lot of my friends and colleagues have been asking me what these "stickers" are. After explaining it to them, they all think it's pretty cool and would love to be able to use it themselves. Macros, however, are not that easy to setup.

When BB10 drops, RIM really needs to find a way to get the most out of NFC. They need an app that helps those who are technologically handicapped to set up various macros.

RIM needs to sell their own NFC stickers with the BB logo (7 dots) on it. When people set up these NFC stickers with the BB logo on it, it'll be akin to RIM getting free advertising. The more they see the BB logo, the better!!

I know that NFC is not a new technology, but many people in North America have no idea what it is or how to use it. RIM needs to capitalize on this! They need to make the BB logo synonymous with NFC Tag.

great post....totally agree with the sticker ideas. small things usually makes a bigger impact
    02-18-12 05:22 PM

RIM, you picking up on this idea. At this point, it cant hurt and can only help!
    02-18-12 05:48 PM
    Can someone please explqin how to secure the nfc tags ?
    Reading this good idea thread, I wondered ...
    Let's prend I've got a laptop, and I created a tag to use it as a hotspot and grant access to shared folders (future 2.0).
    How can I secure it to avoid anybody
    1/ gest granted acces within 10cm proximity
    2/ granted access gets revoked when leaving the NFC zone

I don't doubt of NFC futurz, please read me right !
    02-19-12 03:16 AM
    Let's prend I've got a laptop, and I created a tag to use it as a hotspot and grant access to shared folders (future 2.0).

I'm sure someone will attempt an answer. As for me, I would rather RIM take the idea and let the engineers that have a "vested" interest in RIM succeeding take a look at it and any other ideas that may/may not give them an advantage to succeed. A 3G/4G PlayBook and BB10 4G BlackBerries may turn out to be the "best thing since sliced bread", but, the US consumer market now has a lot of choices in regards to SmartPhones as opposed to 5 - 6 years ago. As RIM steps up to the competition challenge, the competition is not on vacation or sleeping. Again, may not work, and I'm sure others will come with more "what if" or additional scenarios, but, it is an idea. IMHO, RIM needs to do "whatever it takes" to maintain it's current consumer base, while attracting new consumers, and at the same time, revitalyzing the interest of former BlackBerry owners that have moved on. Again, whatever it takes.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 02-19-12 at 03:26 PM.
    02-19-12 02:32 PM
    This is a fantastic idea. RIM have again been too slow with NFC in general.

There even is an Android tv commercial on in the UK showing their version of BB Tag.....I didn't even know they had it.

Yeah put some tags in the boxes of all new BB NFC compatible devices !
    02-19-12 03:08 PM

I am not sure if I understand the question. So, sorry if my answer is not addressing your question:

First of all NFC range (between a device and a tag) is much less than 10cm. It is something between 2-4 cm all depending on how much power is emitted from the NFC chip/antenna, how good the NFC antenna is designed, and how power-hungry is the NFC tag (NFC tag gets its power from the Reader which in this case is the BlackBerry).

Second, NFC is just a communication channel (relatively very low speed, up to 424 Kb/s). It doesn't have that much security that you might want to have before you give access to your shared files/etc.
    However, when you tap the NFC tag, it could for example bring up an app that can be used to authenticate you on your PlayBook.
    If you pass that authentication process you are given access to the shared files.
    Usually this happens over Bluetooth or Wifi and not over NFC (because of short range, and low speed).
    02-19-12 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD