So you're saying that BlackBerry released a device that isn't secure unless you're using BES 10? That sounds kind of moronic if you ask me.

Then you shouldn't expect Enterprise grade security. The Personal side of the phone, which is all you are using, is for your private life as a consumer where the "balance" is more towards making your data easily accessible across the services you use rather than security.

If you haven't met the Work side of your phone then you are not in a position to berate BlackBerry over security.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 06:16 PM
    So you're saying that BlackBerry released a device that isn't secure unless you're using BES 10? That sounds kind of moronic if you ask me.
    Without an MDM solution, users on any smartphone can choose to save corporate contacts to personal accounts. It's just not done automatically like BB10 currently does (which is resolved in a future update).

It has nothing to do with security, as personal devices are not secure outside of MDM. It's about customisation and usability; being able to save contacts where the user chooses to.
    johnnyuk likes this.
    10-20-13 06:26 PM
    I've made it QUITE CLEAR (read for gods sake), that I was not on BES 10. And I do think it's a bug rather than a useful feature for EAS accounts, or even gmail with Google sync on it. I should be able to differentiate what account I want to create a contact in. It shouldn't be blasted across all of my email accounts! Does that not make sense to you??

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    I know you're not using BES10. That's why I am informing you that if you WERE then the "bug" as you erroneously call it would not exist.

I say erroneously because it would only be a "bug" if it was not supposed to happen, if the functionality did not work as intended. The synchronisation of contacts between accounts in the Personal space works as it was intended. It is not a bug just because it doesn't work the way that YOU want it to work.

In a later release of BB10 the feature has configuration options to customise its behaviour. That is not "bug fixing" that is the normal course of software development.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 10-20-13 at 06:59 PM.
    10-20-13 06:40 PM
    It doesn't have Enterprise grade security without BES10 just as BBOS phones don't have Enterprise grade security without earlier versions of BES.

In its Personal mode it has security that is perfectly adequate for people's private data in their private consumer orientated lives. Indeed it has security features without BES10 that extend further than iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

The Work space of Balance activated by BES10 is where your Enterprise data is designed to live to give it the leakage protection that it requires.

Using your BB10 phone in your company without Balance is like equiping your home with a premium security system and never bothering to turn it on. Don't complain when your house gets burgled.

And I'm sorry to say this but the only thing that sounds moronic in this thread is the company you work for and their lack of security around their corporate data.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 06:49 PM
    Meh...your opinion.

It doesn't have Enterprise grade security without BES10 just as BBOS phones don't have Enterprise grade security without earlier versions of BES.

In its Personal mode it has security that is perfectly adequate for people's private data in their private consumer orientated lives. Indeed it has security features without BES10 that extend further than iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

The Work space of Balance activated by BES10 is where your Enterprise data is designed to live to give it the leakage protection that it requires.

Using your BB10 phone in your company without Balance is like equiping your home with a premium security system and never bothering to turn it on. Don't complain when your house gets burgled.

And I'm sorry to say this but the only thing that sounds moronic in this thread is the company you work for and their lack of security around their corporate data.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 07:01 PM
    Meh...your opinion.
    The evidence of your company's lax security practices is all too clear in this thread as is your lack of understanding of Mobile Device Management and the reasons for it being a requirement in the work place.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 07:19 PM
    The evidence of your company's lax security practices is all too clear in this thread as is your lack of understanding of Mobile Device Management and the reasons for it being a requirement in the work place.

Posted via CB10
    Generalized assumption. Come on, keep spewin the hate! I understand MDM just fine, thank you very much!

10-20-13 07:23 PM
    I understand MDM just fine, thank you very much!

Hilarious. If that were true this thread wouldn't have several pages of people trying to explain it to you.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 07:30 PM
    Hilarious. If that were true this thread wouldn't have several pages of people trying to explain it to you.

Posted via CB10
    Did I ever ask for an explanation?

10-20-13 07:38 PM
    I've made it QUITE CLEAR (read for gods sake), that I was not on BES 10. And I do think it's a bug rather than a useful feature for EAS accounts, or even gmail with Google sync on it. I should be able to differentiate what account I want to create a contact in. It shouldn't be blasted across all of my email accounts! Does that not make sense to you??

Sure. If you want to separate personal accounts, which doesn't make much sense since they are all your personal accounts. But if you want to pretend that one of the personal accounts is actually a secure work account, then you are sadly mistaken in your sense of security. I hope that you are not a VP of IT, as that would be scary. It is pretty clear from this thread that you have no idea about enterprise security. Your first mistake is not to implement a personal information security policy. Your next mistake is to think that a personal account on a non-MDM phone is actually secure and will prevent data leakage. Your last mistake is to post here and try to explain wrong policies to others. I hope for every reader, will learn from your mistakes.
    10-20-13 07:40 PM
    Did I ever ask for an explanation?

No, but from what people read it appears you need one.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 07:40 PM
    Sure. If you want to separate personal accounts, which doesn't make much sense since they are all your personal accounts. But if you want to pretend that one of the personal accounts is actually a secure work account, then you are sadly mistaken in your sense of security. I hope that you are not a VP of IT, as that would be scary. It is pretty clear from this thread that you have no idea about enterprise security. Your first mistake is not to implement a personal information security policy. Your next mistake is to think that a personal account on a non-MDM phone is actually secure and will prevent data leakage. Your last mistake is to post here and try to explain wrong policies to others. I hope for every reader, will learn from your mistakes.
    You guys crack me up. I don't work in IT, so all of this slamming "you don't understand MDM, your company security sucks, your IT dept is stupid, your internal communication should say BlackBerry not RIM, your first mistake is to not implement policy" just cracks me up.

10-20-13 07:42 PM
    Without an MDM solution, users on any smartphone can choose to save corporate contacts to personal accounts. It's just not done automatically like BB10 currently does (which is resolved in a future update).

It has nothing to do with security, as personal devices are not secure outside of MDM. It's about customisation and usability; being able to save contacts where the user chooses to.
    So true. What we have here is someone who thinks that a personal account which they pretend is a secure work account and then blame Blackberry for a "bug" that doesn't exist. At least Blackberry is allowing for more customization of personal accounts to this person can continue to live in his pretend security world.
    10-20-13 07:43 PM
    You guys crack me up. I don't work in IT
    It shows. You really shouldn't post about IT issues when you don't work in IT. And any person who makes IT decisions from your advice is wrong also.
    10-20-13 07:45 PM
    Do you listen to how dumb you make yourself sound? That's like saying if I had a deep knowledge of Politics, or Movies, or Philosophy I shouldn't ever speak of them unless I work in those fields...

It shows. You really shouldn't post about IT issues when you don't work in IT. And any person who makes IT decisions from your advice is wrong also.
    10-20-13 07:47 PM
    Do you listen to how dumb you make yourself sound? That's like saying if I had a deep knowledge of Politics, or Movies, or Philosophy I shouldn't ever speak of them unless I work in those fields...
    You can speak about any topic you want. But if you posted on a movies website and said that Jack and Jill (2011) was the greatest movie ever made, then expect that those who know films will tell you the same things that IT managers will tell you when you post about IT security. That you are wrong. If you don't know the topic, you should post questions to learn, not post statements and then defend those statements when others who know more than you try to point you in the right direction. The fact that you are still defending your wrong position, shows that you have no desire to actually learn anything.
    10-20-13 08:01 PM
    You guys crack me up. I don't work in IT,
    Thank God for that, there's hope for your employer yet.

So all of this slamming "you don't understand MDM, your company security sucks, your IT dept is stupid, your internal communication should say BlackBerry not RIM, your first mistake is to not implement policy" just cracks me up.
    So now you're admitting that you don't know anything about it? That it just makes you giggle like a schoolgirl and shrug your shoulders? Knew as much.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 10-20-13 at 08:13 PM.
    10-20-13 08:03 PM
    Thank God for that, there's hope for your employer yet.

You're hysterical. God. When can I see your standup????

So now you're admitting that you don't know anything about it? That it just makes you giggle like a schoolgirl and shrug your shoulders? Knew as much.

You're good at assumptions. Show me where I admit I know nothing about MDM. Show me. I beg you. Better yet, I dare you.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 08:11 PM
    Now you're just being ridiculous. You can speak about IT as much as you like. But you make yourself look a fool when you come on to IT based forum and spout off like a security expert about a "bug" you found that's actually just one half of a feature that you have no knowledge or experience of when correctly implemented (BlackBerry Balance). It also means you have no place advising your employer on IT issues that you don't have a full understanding of.

The most worrying thing is that your employer listened to your advice!

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 08:12 PM
    The most worrying thing is that your employer listened to your advice!
    Yup. I wish he would give the name of his employer, with 70-100 thousand employes depending on his post, so we can not deal with them. We already know that they don't have proper policies about storing credit card numbers
    10-20-13 08:16 PM
    You can speak about any topic you want. But if you posted on a movies website and said that Jack and Jill (2011) was the greatest movie ever made, then expect that those who know films will tell you the same things that IT managers will tell you when you post about IT security. That you are wrong. If you don't know the topic, you should post questions to learn, not post statements and then defend those statements when others who know more than you try to point you in the right direction. The fact that you are still defending your wrong position, shows that you have no desire to actually learn anything.
    I used to work in IT and am still very knowledgeable in the area. I don't make statements to hear myself talk. Seems like you do though.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the big jump you keep making when throwing me under the bus. I made it pretty clear that I saw an issue with the way BB10 handles contact syncing when not on BES. When I brought this up to a friend in MIS, he brought it up with the CIO, they didn't like it either, and shut down BB10 devices joining our servers. What MDM solution do we use? I couldn't tell you. I know BES 5 is still active for legacy devices, not sure what handles the AES devices. I could tell you all about MDM at my old job, but that's not what you guys keep getting after me for. It seems you are more pissed off that I brought up a "feature", which I'm still calling a bug since it was reversed in 10.2.1.xxx or whatever, which then shut down our company's ability to use BB 10 devices (since they don't see the benefit of upgrading to BES 10 with the finite number of users still on the platform).

I also have never said our enterprise security policies were cutting edge. Hell, they just allowed iOS devices last year on the network. Only thing we had for years able to hook up was BBOS devices. What I am saying, and will continue to say, is our MIS group did not like this "feature", and did something about it. How hard is that to wrap your heads around?
    10-20-13 08:18 PM
    Yup. I wish he would give the name of his employer, with 70-100 thousand employes depending on his post, so we can not deal with them. We already know that they don't have proper policies about storing credit card numbers
    People work how they want to work. Assistants in my industry, especially personal ones, have to have every piece of information related to their boss on hand 24/7 and plan for the unexpected. You're not going to get anywhere trying to preach enterprise security to a 25 year old, fresh out of the mailroom assistant who is terrified of her boss yelling at her because she can't book travel for his family to come visit when he's on a project because he has his credit card on his person and she's not in the office. It's a reality we have to face in our jobs. Sure there's apps they can learn, but in the assistant mafia here, they do what has always been done. Store that shi* in the contact card. So can you get off your mother f'ing soapbox about my employer and how they do business.
    10-20-13 08:24 PM
    You're hysterical. God. When can I see your standup???

You're good at assumptions. Show me where I admit I know nothing about MDM. Show me. I beg you. Better yet, I dare you.
    What are you, schizophrenic?

This:

You guys crack me up. I don't work in IT, so all of this slamming "you don't understand MDM, your company security sucks, your IT dept is stupid, your internal communication should say BlackBerry not RIM, your first mistake is to not implement policy" just cracks me up.
    Allow me to add translations for you:

You guys crack me up [because you use all kinds of words I don't understand]. I don't work in IT [so I have only a "lay man's" understanding of all of this but I thought I'd try and make myself look like an expert anyway], so all of this slamming "you don't understand MDM, your company security sucks, your IT dept is stupid, your internal communication should say BlackBerry not RIM, your first mistake is to not implement policy" just cracks me up [because I haven't got a clue what you are all talking about].
    Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 08:25 PM
    I used to work in IT and am still very knowledgeable in the area. I don't make statements to hear myself talk. Seems like you do though.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the big jump you keep making when throwing me under the bus. I made it pretty clear that I saw an issue with the way BB10 handles contact syncing when not on BES. When I brought this up to a friend in MIS, he brought it up with the CIO, they didn't like it either, and shut down BB10 devices joining our servers. What MDM solution do we use? I couldn't tell you. I know BES 5 is still active for legacy devices, not sure what handles the AES devices. I could tell you all about MDM at my old job, but that's not what you guys keep getting after me for. It seems you are more pissed off that I brought up a "feature", which I'm still calling a bug since it was reversed in 10.2.1.xxx or whatever, which then shut down our company's ability to use BB 10 devices (since they don't see the benefit of upgrading to BES 10 with the finite number of users still on the platform).

I also have never said our enterprise security policies were cutting edge. Hell, they just allowed iOS devices last year on the network. Only thing we had for years able to hook up was BBOS devices. What I am saying, and will continue to say, is our MIS group did not like this "feature", and did something about it. How hard is that to wrap your heads around?
    It is hard to wrap our heads around the fact that you used to work in IT (might be a reason why you used to work in IT and no longer do) and that you don't have the simplest understanding that what you this is a secure solution is far from it. You think that BB10 devices are insecure because you say they sync contact across accounts ( that fact is in doubt by posters who know more than you ), and that the contact information is secure, when the person can copy the data in your fictitious work account across to the personal account on any device which you say is more secure than BB10. I just hope that no one uses your posts to make a serious IT security decision. They will be seriously disappointed.
    10-20-13 08:26 PM
    People work how they want to work. Assistants in my industry, especially personal ones, have to have every piece of information related to their boss on hand 24/7 and plan for the unexpected. You're not going to get anywhere trying to preach enterprise security to a 25 year old, fresh out of the mailroom assistant who is terrified of her boss yelling at her because she can't book travel for his family to come visit when he's on a project because he has his credit card on his person and she's not in the office. It's a reality we have to face in our jobs. Sure there's apps they can learn, but in the assistant mafia here, they do what has always been done. Store that shi* in the contact card. So can you get off your mother f'ing soapbox about my employer and how they do business.
    Just because they work they want to doesn't make that a secure environment. So if your company wants to work in an insecure way, don't start going after BB10 about their lack of security, when it is more secure than what you probably are using instead. So the fact that you are now defending that employers should be able to work in an insecure method, shows how confused you are. And I can tell by your swearing, that you are as unprofessional as your companies policies.
    10-20-13 08:33 PM
280 ... 678910 ...