A company with global employees of more than 300,000 has signed on with BlackBerry for BES10. How's that for a boost in confidence for BB.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 07:21 PM
    UNBELIEVABLE. Ray689 questions his integrity and truthfulness, asks him to post a screenshot, and then....when he gets it....questions the person's integrity. DISGUSTING.

Wayne Enterprises, you have NOTHING to retract or apologize for you. Rest Assured, other than a handful of sick sick SICK fanboys, you have come across very well, and have made fools of your detractors. They attacked you from the 1st page, questioned your assertion - you PROVIDED a clear description, and their only response was to:
    1.say the same exploit could be done through various mechanical machinations
    2.claim you need human policies related to a BB10 device so it's your fault (yeah..that's what they did - doesn't help BB's image in the slightest)
    3.claim you also need BES 10 (also his fault - and what a way to sabotage your own argument)
    They look like fools now - real professionals indeed.

CB KEVIN: PLEASE read this thread. Nothing, makes CB, all of us, look more ASININE, more STUPID, than this kind of behavior. This can't be what you wanted....I just can't believe that. There are some rabid posters in this thread here that have the mentality of little kids. If you have a real solution, give it nicely....if you don't, thank Wayne for sharing this, and realize it is a real problem, that not only exists, but really did, affect his company. Sick...sick people....I'm going to say something I very rarely say: I'm out. 4 pages of irredeemable stuff....
    really? ahm what.....for best performance in a dramatic series, the Oscar goes to (whats your name again?)
    10-19-13 07:21 PM
    A company with global employees of more than 300,000 has signed on with BlackBerry for BES10. How's that for a boost in confidence for BB.

Posted via CB10
    Name this company or I don't believe you. And also state how many devices will be using BES10. If it's 50 it's nothing special.

"Better a broken promise than none at all" (Mark Twain). Remember that, complainers. Via Q10.
    Flatman likes this.
    10-19-13 07:46 PM
    So what stops said employees from writing this info down with pen and paper and doing the same thing?
    Holy crap, are you serious with this post?

Good Lord.
    10-20-13 01:04 AM
    Everybody calm your tits.

Attachment 211625

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Hahaha you nailed it.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 03:59 AM
    My contacts don't sync across all accounts in bb10.

If you are using personal account for storing business info, it cant be remotely wiped.

And if the ceo mailed this telling bb10 is banned because of security reasons, he is a dumbass.

If you prefer security it BlackBerry.

Cmon dont be stupid, attacking BlackBerry and on security aspect?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 04:03 AM
    Thanks for the info... I'm learning about this stuff.

So, in a BYOD environment such as his, BB10 does not seem to have a big advantage over other platforms, especially if they are FIPS compliant, correct?
    Correct except FIPS approval is irrelevant unless you are dealing with US government data, and it only certifies that the device is capable of using approved encryption algorithms.

Without a properly configured MDM system ALL current smartphones will operate in "single user consumer" mode and have the same issues and data leakage possibility. That is why I have a personal device and a company issued device, with an airgap firewall between them. More to the point, the specified scenario appears to be BYOD without a competent MDM, so there is no segregation of data and no right whatsoever for the employer to wipe any part of the phone when an employee leaves.
    Tre Lawrence and LegacySP1 like this.
    10-20-13 06:26 AM
    You are more trouble than you're worth. If the issue isn't getting thru to you at this point, I'm done responding to you.

Final statement. Contacts created on the bb10 device should only stay in the account in which they are created, not synced across all other accounts. That feature is gone from BB10, but remains in BBOS, iOS and Android. Regardless of whether or not the organization is on BES 10.

I rest my case with you.

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    You seem to have missed the point. In consumer configuration of ANY current smartphone there is only one address book (contacts list) and the user is free to back this up wherever they wish. Multiple segregated lists are only available when you get into a business configured device with MDM, appropriate policies set by a *competent admin* and partitioned data - which clearly is not available in your case.
    10-20-13 06:35 AM
    of course there isnt any alternative other than blackberry
    10-20-13 06:59 AM
    A Note 3 is more secure out of the Box than a BB10 device. They support device encryption and They have a KNOX Kernel and can do this without a BES10 deployment (partition work from play on the device) KNOX is coming to S4 and 3 within a month, and would make this less of an issue for the person you're responding to.

Samsung knows the dependence on BES10 is an issue for BB, and this is why KNOX will do well for them in the enterprise.

If you aren't deploying BES10 10, then why even bother getting BlackBerry 10 devices?

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    You know you can do device encryption out of the box with BB10 devices. The rest of KNOX only works works when you use a MDM solution. So KNOX is just trying to play catch up. They are new to security, who would you trust? I trust Blackberry. So no a Note 3 is not more secure than a BB10 device out of the box.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    10-20-13 07:15 AM
    The server needs of a 250 employee business is different than one an order of a magnitude larger. Surely you comprehend this?

You can't comprehend that if a company with 250 employees uses VM servers and MS DataCenter licensing, then if a company a order magnitude larger doesn't do the same, they are not putting the right infrastructure in place.
    10-20-13 07:18 AM
    Any company that would allow ssn's or other personally identifiable data in "contacts" on any device have much bigger problems if you ask me.
    That's one thing I didn't understand when they brought out BB10. They had such a great feature in the Work/Personal spaces, and even featured it heavily in marketing, yet only enterprise customers on BES10 can use it. I'd understand if they were working to create an on-device policy manager that couldn't be finished for January 2013, but so far there seems to be no mention of Work/Personal spaces being expanded upon.

I know it's listed in beta zone as something you can vote on, but other new features get mentioned on Twitter and rumours fly around before they show up. Nothing on this, arguably one of the biggest new features of BB10.
    If it isn't managed by a MDM solution, it isn;t a Work/Personal spaces. It is personal/personal spaces. It is the management that is needed for an work environment to be just that.
    10-20-13 07:23 AM
    You know you can do device encryption out of the box with BB10 devices. The rest of KNOX only works works when you use a MDM solution. So KNOX is just trying to play catch up. They are new to security, who would you trust? I trust Blackberry. So no a Note 3 is not more secure than a BB10 device out of the box.
    Wrong. You can use Knox in absense of MDM. Its one of the main selling points. The fact that anyone can use it to partition their phone. It can be managed with MDM, though.

10-20-13 08:11 AM
    You seem to have missed the point. In consumer configuration of ANY current smartphone there is only one address book (contacts list) and the user is free to back this up wherever they wish. Multiple segregated lists are only available when you get into a business configured device with MDM, appropriate policies set by a *competent admin* and partitioned data - which clearly is not available in your case.
    That is so far from the truth. Go pick up a BBOS device and set up multiple exchange (non BES) or multiple Gmail Accounts with Google Sync. You get different contact lists for each account.

10-20-13 09:20 AM
    If it isn't managed by a MDM solution, it isn;t a Work/Personal spaces. It is personal/personal spaces. It is the management that is needed for an work environment to be just that.
    I understand that's how it currently works.

But think of Windows machines. Each installation has a policy manager protected by an administrator account. This allows standalone control over user-level permissions. If BlackBerry can deploy an on-device policy manager protected by an administrator password, then companies with 2-3 BB10 phones would not need to invest in a BES10 server. BYOD and self-employed users can also take advantage of this, not for security, but for the purpose of separating work life from personal life.
    10-20-13 10:40 AM
    Okay, let's break it down because I think people are arguing two different things now.

To address the issue of Wayne_Enterprises, we need to remove MDM from the equation. Now, without MDM, it sounds like Android and iPhone devices have the option of choosing default contact lists and manually selecting where new contacts are saved. BB10 currently saves new contacts across all synced contact lists, though the option to save them separately is coming with 10.2.1. The other devices, however, are not secure, as users on Android or iPhone could manually select to save business contacts to their personal accounts. This does require prior planning, where BB10 does it all for you, leaving you with potentially damaging information even when you're fired out of the blue.

What a lot of others are arguing is that MDM is required for true security. With the exception of Knox (which I don't know much about), this is true. MDM is the only way to prevent users from saving work contacts into a personal account. Without MDM, devices treat all accounts as personal - there is no work partition on a standalone device.

So in summary:
    • Androids and iPhones allow you to choose which address books to save new contacts to, but BB10 (currently) saves all new contacts to every synced address book, which is not desirable in a business setting
    • To truly lock a user's work contacts from their personal address book, we need MDM or Knox
    • BES10 can administer BlackBerry, iPhone, and Android phones, making it a decent choice for MDM if starting from scratch

Anything I missed?
    Suraj Jadhav and ppeters914 like this.
    10-20-13 10:52 AM
    Nothing to contribute, just wanted to say "thanks" to everyone involved and to those who are contributing to this discussion, because I'm learning a lot from it.
    wyrdfool likes this.
    10-20-13 12:55 PM
    I would also like to express thanks to all the contributors of this thread. I also learned a lot.

And... I am still confused.
    LoL...
    SharonRD and ppeters914 like this.
    10-20-13 01:42 PM
    Any company that would allow ssn's or other personally identifiable data in "contacts" on any device have much bigger problems if you ask me.
    Wrong. You can use Knox in absense of MDM. Its one of the main selling points. The fact that anyone can use it to partition their phone. It can be managed with MDM, though.

Please read their documentation for KNOX. I have. You will learn that without MDM, you are not doing anything that can be done with BB10 and in fact, since you can root the KNOX phone, it shows that it is not as secure as you think it is. Can you root a BB10 phone? No. End of argument.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    10-20-13 04:43 PM
    That is so far from the truth. Go pick up a BBOS device and set up multiple exchange (non BES) or multiple Gmail Accounts with Google Sync. You get different contact lists for each account.

If your work uses Google apps but no MDM, Knox is usable for separating work from personal. Even if they use EAS and office 365 its usable. What are you talking about?

10-20-13 04:54 PM
    I understand that's how it currently works.

But think of Windows machines. Each installation has a policy manager protected by an administrator account. This allows standalone control over user-level permissions. If BlackBerry can deploy an on-device policy manager protected by an administrator password, then companies with 2-3 BB10 phones would not need to invest in a BES10 server. BYOD and self-employed users can also take advantage of this, not for security, but for the purpose of separating work life from personal life.
    Exactly. They are too busy defending to see the obvious usability advantage this offers.

10-20-13 04:55 PM
    I agree with you for the most part, but my organization (worldwide 70k+ employees) decided not to upgrade to BES 10 as the # of people still on BlackBerry was too small, and because of that we don't have BlackBerry Balance.

No biggie, right?

Actually yes.

I found a bug, which RIM calls a "feature", they refused to pass it up to the dev team to get worked out, so I brought it up with one of our MIS VPs, and he showed the CIO who then issued a company wide broadcast email saying BB10 devices were not allowed on our network due to a security risk, and they would be monitoring the Radius server closely to make sure no BB10 Mac addresses showed up.

So that's a major BlackBerry security fail IMO.

Right.... So they are going ban BB10 devices but alllow Androids on their network? Stupid is as stupid does.... :-)

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 05:07 PM

With that being said, here's the bug.

If a new contact is created ON THE BB10 device, it will sync the contact to Exchange, AND ALSO any accounts on the device with CONTACT SYNC ENABLED. If the newly created contact is deleted ON your desktop computer, it does not affect the contact that was synced to your other account (let's say g-mail for example.)
    This does NOT happen if the BB10 phone is on BES10 and the Contact is added as a Work contact.

Balance on a BES10 activated BB10 phone gives two tabs to select from when creating a contact, Personal and Work. When Work is selected the Contact will be created in the Work Space and synchronised ONLY with your Work account.

This "bug" that you have made such a big fuss about is a consequence of using BB10 phones merely with ActiveSync which gives you none of the advanced security and data leak prevention features that BES10 provides. That's your company's fault and nobody else's.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 05:56 PM
    Pretty sure I made it abundantly clear that we don't use BES 10 therefore wouldn't have balance....

Then you shouldn't expect Enterprise grade security. The Personal side of the phone, which is all you are using, is for your private life as a consumer where the "balance" is more towards making your data easily accessible across the services you use rather than security.

If you haven't met the Work side of your phone then you are not in a position to berate BlackBerry over security.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 06:05 PM
    This does NOT happen if the BB10 phone is on BES10 and the Contact is added as a Work contact.

Balance on a BES10 activated BB10 phone gives two tabs to select from when creating a contact, Personal and Work. When Work is selected the Contact will be created in the Work Space and synchronised ONLY with your Work account.

This "bug" that you have made such a big fuss about is a consequence of using BB10 phones merely with ActiveSync which gives you none of the advanced security and data leak prevention features that BES10 provides. That's your company's fault and nobody else's.

Posted via CB10
    I've made it QUITE CLEAR (read for gods sake), that I was not on BES 10. And I do think it's a bug rather than a useful feature for EAS accounts, or even gmail with Google sync on it. I should be able to differentiate what account I want to create a contact in. It shouldn't be blasted across all of my email accounts! Does that not make sense to you??

10-20-13 06:12 PM
280 ... 56789 ...