I joined when BB10 decided to ruin my life after 8 years of solid performance from BlackBerry devices

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    Your life is ruined? Why don't you just buy a new phone of if it's that bad?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 01:06 AM
    Your life is ruined? Why don't you just buy a new phone of if it's that bad?

Posted via CB10
    Lookup the definition of the word sarcasm, and come back.
    mk2234 likes this.
    10-19-13 01:07 AM
    you dont have to be a manager to say that. any working brain can be aware of that easily. no one is concentrating on security except blackberry. no one is working on a security level uniting all platforms into one enterprise solution. im managing an it and I have staff too. but I dont think you have to be a manager to understand the difference between an apple and a carrot.

Posted via CB10
    pcguy514 likes this.
    10-19-13 01:07 AM
    Lookup the definition of the word sarcasm, and come back.
    Judging from your passionate arguments then your "ruined my life" statement seems like less sarcasm and more frustration but okay whatever you say.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-19-13 01:12 AM
    You didn't even read it, the point was that Apple said they couldn't do one thing then said they could, I knew already nsa coils read a iphones messages, I just wanted people to see that other companies lie as well. These forums are ripe with people saying blackberry lied when they all do it. Even the almighty can do no wrong apple.

Posted via CB10
    How about we agree to agree?

(you missed the sarcasm in my op)
    10-19-13 01:33 AM
    We subscribe to BYOD, as many companies do these days. The parent company I work at for the most part is a media conglomerate. Lot's of personal information in contact cards, Credit Card info, SSN, Kid's SSNs, wife birthday, etc etc etc...

With that being said, here's the bug.

If a new contact is created ON THE BB10 device, it will sync the contact to Exchange, AND ALSO any accounts on the device with CONTACT SYNC ENABLED. If the newly created contact is deleted ON your desktop computer, it does not affect the contact that was synced to your other account (let's say g-mail for example.)

Now let's put this real world:

1) The CEO of our parent company gets a new assistant.
    2) The assistant brings her BB10 as part of BYOD.
    3) Her Work e-mail is setup on the BB10.
    4) A new contact is created on the BB10 device (let's say the CEO is always traveling and mobile computing is how they roll).
    5) Let's say the new contact was the CEO's new wife.
    6) Let's also say all of her personal information was inputted into the "notes" section.
    7) Unbeknownst to new assistant CEO, all of that information was synced to the assistant's personal account (G-mail).
    8) 5 weeks, and 30 new contact cards later, the assistant is fired, and her work email is remotely wiped from her BB10.
    9) Everything inputted as a new contact from her BB10 device during the time is now synced to her G-mail account if she for some reason is out for revenge, or wants to play "let's sell credit card #'s, or SSN #'s).

Bottom line is, in every other OS, and BB OS, you had the ability to select a default contacts application. BB10 got rid of that.
    In scenario's 7 & 8 - this can ONLY happen if:

a) you had a DUMBASS or a CONTRACTOR who's not worth his/her salts or knowledge/expertise to specifically lock down access via AD (replicated to ALL exchange servers) to ALL Executive mailboxes and AD accounts! Only top-tier reps (should be less than a handful; real AD Administrators) having access to Executive AD accounts and Mailboxes!

b) You had a DUMBASS of a service desk or helpdesk aministrator playing around with Exchange Management Console or EMS without asking for proper permissions learning from those that REALLY know or example A above was in full effect and this dumbass just executed his/her own walking papers!

First you know Google doesn't support ActiveSync any longer without administrative accounts. Secondly in BB10 (10.1/10.2 Contacts do not cross sync EAS accounts or IMAP/POP accounts) I've personally tried for months with no dice so if you know of something as a contact by contact or full sweep I'd LOVE to know this! Third, Exchange Admin should be able (2007/2010/2013) be able to restrict the amount of devices and accounts that sync to EAS for a specific mailbox or group of mailboxes.

I've personally created groups in AD and then permissioned new Shared Calendars/Mailboxes/Contacts in Exchange 2010 using EMS/EMC (shell or console respectively) and specifically was BLOCKED by permissions: 1 set in Exchange and another set of permissions in Active Directory (AD) at a leading gold mining company about 8 months ago. I was following priority of a ticket request so it was an official request. I was glad I didn't have permission even though I knew EXACTLY what I was doing, because I shouldn't have access to any Executive Accounts that were part of the request.

Lastly ... for sharing Contacts you HAVE TO logon or directly on the Executive's PC/Mac using Outlook (on either) to SHARE (owner/editor) delegate permissions to be in this situation in the first place!
    mkelley65 and Nharzhool like this.
    10-19-13 02:24 AM
    come on guys, move on. Nothing useful here anymore. We all learned what we supposed to know. It's going to be personal from now on otherwise. And the problem is fixed in 10.2.1.

If the company has other policies that you don't like, we still don't have the right to bash them, we may suggest only, but should not bash them.

Good luck Wayne with your work, hope there will be BB10 users soon in your company.
    BravoZuluDelta and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    10-19-13 02:37 AM
    BB10 phones are more secure out of the box than iOS and Android. BES10 takes the BB10 devices to a whole level for businesses.
    A Note 3 is more secure out of the Box than a BB10 device. They support device encryption and They have a KNOX Kernel and can do this without a BES10 deployment (partition work from play on the device) KNOX is coming to S4 and 3 within a month, and would make this less of an issue for the person you're responding to.

Samsung knows the dependence on BES10 is an issue for BB, and this is why KNOX will do well for them in the enterprise.

If you aren't deploying BES10 10, then why even bother getting BlackBerry 10 devices?

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    10-19-13 02:41 AM
    Really, a company your size should have virtualized servers and a DataCenter Server license(s) so it is only the matter of creating a new VM. We only have 250 employees (not the 70-100K employees that you have) and we didn't have to buy more hardware to get BES 10 up and running. Just the lics.
    The server needs of a 250 employee business is different than one an order of a magnitude larger. Surely you comprehend this?

10-19-13 02:45 AM
    A Note 3 is more secure out of the Box than a BB10 device. They support device encryption and They have a KNOX Kernel and can do this without a BES10 deployment (partition work from play on the device) KNOX is coming to S4 and 3 within a month, and would make this less of an issue for the person you're responding to.

Samsung knows the dependence on BES10 is an issue for BB, and this is why KNOX will do well for them in the enterprise.

If you aren't deploying BES10 10, then why even bother getting BlackBerry 10 devices?

What good is KNOX if you can still jailbreak/root an Android device?
    gfondeur and sklotz2000 like this.
    10-19-13 03:25 AM
    What good is KNOX if you can still jailbreak/root an Android device?
    Do some research. Then you'll see.

Also a future Android release will surely turn on SELinux enforce. Maybe even 4.4 ...

Point is a user can do this on those devices without even using MDM. That is a competitive disadvantage for BB10.

You can use Knox for work and then get out of it for your personal stuff. The Knox stuff is partitioned and can be password locked. Its also encrypted.

Companies with MDM deployed usually have root detection which reject connections from rooted or jail broken devices. That is not an issue in that sector.

Last edited by n8ter#AC; 10-19-13 at 03:43 AM.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-19-13 03:27 AM
    I am not on a BES and my contacts don't end up on Gmail or Hotmail. A company that large not using BES is a joke anyways.

BlackBerry Since 2006. Z10 Rogers, Halifax NS
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-19-13 06:58 AM
    How about we agree to agree?

(you missed the sarcasm in my op)
    Sure, its not the end of the world if we do or don't lol.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 07:04 AM
    Yup, the ones that don't care about security and probably the same ones who had their credit card and customer data hacked because security isn't a concern of them.
    IT people here in Holland complaining in the past that BES server was difficult to set up but BES 10 is much better to set up and most IT people are more in to a microsoft server or something else that is easier for them to understand. So IT people mostly prefer easy going stuff then thinking about security.
    Nharzhool likes this.
    10-19-13 07:16 AM

Also a future Android release will surely turn on SELinux enforce. Maybe even 4.4 ...

Point is a user can do this on those devices without even using MDM. That is a competitive disadvantage for BB10.

You can use Knox for work and then get out of it for your personal stuff. The Knox stuff is partitioned and can be password locked. Its also encrypted.

Companies with MDM deployed usually have root detection which reject connections from rooted or jail broken devices. That is not an issue in that sector.

That's one thing I didn't understand when they brought out BB10. They had such a great feature in the Work/Personal spaces, and even featured it heavily in marketing, yet only enterprise customers on BES10 can use it. I'd understand if they were working to create an on-device policy manager that couldn't be finished for January 2013, but so far there seems to be no mention of Work/Personal spaces being expanded upon.

I know it's listed in beta zone as something you can vote on, but other new features get mentioned on Twitter and rumours fly around before they show up. Nothing on this, arguably one of the biggest new features of BB10.
    10-19-13 07:50 AM
    We subscribe to BYOD, as many companies do these days. The parent company I work at for the most part is a media conglomerate. Lot's of personal information in contact cards, Credit Card info, SSN, Kid's SSNs, wife birthday, etc etc etc...

With that being said, here's the bug.

If a new contact is created ON THE BB10 device, it will sync the contact to Exchange, AND ALSO any accounts on the device with CONTACT SYNC ENABLED. If the newly created contact is deleted ON your desktop computer, it does not affect the contact that was synced to your other account (let's say g-mail for example.)

Now let's put this real world:

1) The CEO of our parent company gets a new assistant.
    2) The assistant brings her BB10 as part of BYOD.
    3) Her Work e-mail is setup on the BB10.
    4) A new contact is created on the BB10 device (let's say the CEO is always traveling and mobile computing is how they roll).
    5) Let's say the new contact was the CEO's new wife.
    6) Let's also say all of her personal information was inputted into the "notes" section.
    7) Unbeknownst to new assistant CEO, all of that information was synced to the assistant's personal account (G-mail).
    8) 5 weeks, and 30 new contact cards later, the assistant is fired, and her work email is remotely wiped from her BB10.
    9) Everything inputted as a new contact from her BB10 device during the time is now synced to her G-mail account if she for some reason is out for revenge, or wants to play "let's sell credit card #'s, or SSN #'s).

Bottom line is, in every other OS, and BB OS, you had the ability to select a default contacts application. BB10 got rid of that.
    Any company that would allow ssn's or other personally identifiable data in "contacts" on any device have much bigger problems if you ask me.
    gfondeur and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    10-19-13 08:23 AM
    I believe Wayne's company isn't getting any phone.. it's BYOD..

And for those who seems to be frustrated:

Wayne's company saw a potential problem and decided to do something to make it a bit harder for it to happen. regardless of the false sense of security that people are saying, if they feel it's a necessary step, then we can't judge and bash since we don't even have the full information of their policies & other security measures. (i know some people only want to help but their writing comes out like bashing) Different companies and different management have different cultures and way of handling things.. it's just too bad that they decided to ban their employees from using their BB10 device for any work related things (for the time being).

As someone who is high up (Wayne said he/she is a VP) and probably is involved in policy making, pride is always there so when people start going off topic and appear to be attacking his/her competency, it's understandable that wayne gets defensive and annoyed.. *i'd prefer everyone to stay polite though*

And in fan forums like this, wayne's initial comment on "bug" in BB10 is the same as an invitation to have people defend BB10 even if it means getting off topic. LOL....

Let's hope the screenshot of the supposed 10.2.1 is real and wayne is free to use his/her BB10 at work soon..

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 08:33 AM

Bypassing Root Detection takes about 45 seconds.
    MobileIron easily bypassed.
    10-19-13 02:23 PM
    Bypassing Root Detection takes about 45 seconds.
    MobileIron easily bypassed.
    Doesn't matter. I already said its encrypted so unless you own the phone or can crack it it doesn't matter. If you own it you can misuse the info any time you please, so MDM and encryption, Balance/Knox etc are not a factor in that situation.

Knox kernel works differently than stock Android kernels. You should go read up on it.

10-19-13 02:28 PM
    I believe Wayne's company isn't getting any phone.. it's BYOD..

And for those who seems to be frustrated:

Wayne's company saw a potential problem and decided to do something to make it a bit harder for it to happen. regardless of the false sense of security that people are saying, if they feel it's a necessary step, then we can't judge and bash since we don't even have the full information of their policies & other security measures. (i know some people only want to help but their writing comes out like bashing) Different companies and different management have different cultures and way of handling things.. it's just too bad that they decided to ban their employees from using their BB10 device for any work related things (for the time being).

As someone who is high up (Wayne said he/she is a VP) and probably is involved in policy making, pride is always there so when people start going off topic and appear to be attacking his/her competency, it's understandable that wayne gets defensive and annoyed.. *i'd prefer everyone to stay polite though*

And in fan forums like this, wayne's initial comment on "bug" in BB10 is the same as an invitation to have people defend BB10 even if it means getting off topic. LOL....

Let's hope the screenshot of the supposed 10.2.1 is real and wayne is free to use his/her BB10 at work soon..

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps, though I just finished reading this entire thread and have come to a few conclusions:

1. KNOX seems pretty cool (though I don't like TouchWiz[my opinion]), I wish Balance was available without a BES server but that BES server just made it easy to manage everything and sync with Exchange etc.

2. I'm obviously doing something wrong since I've tried my hardest to get my Account details for my fianc�e to sync with my contact for her in GMail even though I have all the accounts necessary. All my GMail contact shows is her mail address where my mobile contact has her GMail address, private address, work address, mobile number, home number, physical address, LinkedIn details, Facebook Details, Twitter details and even our anniversary. If this "bug" is a thing, surely one of those should sync!

3. Hinging on me previous point: Whomever created this problem for the company, was the user that did this and added these contacts to GMail(unless you left out some details or I was too lazy to rererereREread it). The contacts don't sync automatically. It appears that you need some sort of Eldritch Magick to do this, I don't want to try because I'm not fond of being burned alive. :-)

4. The "Company Letterhead" or "Memo" that was sent out, looked a bit fishy. It didn't look like it was from an Exchange server. It didn't look like it was sent to anybody (why blank-out the Exchange group "All Users"?) and companies that size would never be caught using the wrong name for another company in an official document. Also, why would anybody other than the CEO/CIO/CSO send it? Our company (okay, it is only a paltry 30,000 employees) use official company letterheads to mail out huge announcements like that. I might be wrong...it just seems somewhat unprofessional. I'm sorry if I am wrong but your policies there should probably be revised.

5. I'm really bored and have no other plans for a Saturday night...

Disclaimer: I have a Z10 NOT connected to a BES server running 10.2.0.1761

PS: I very rarely come back to a post to see if anybody replied - mostly because I'm a terrible person - so any hate-fuelled responses won't be read by me. :-P
    Supa_Fly1 and Breezygirl8 like this.
    10-19-13 02:42 PM
    Okay I see. I do have one question and correct me if I'm wrong but you won't share the name of the company you work for but you are willing to post their internal communication online?
    UNBELIEVABLE. Ray689 questions his integrity and truthfulness, asks him to post a screenshot, and then....when he gets it....questions the person's integrity. DISGUSTING.

Wayne Enterprises, you have NOTHING to retract or apologize for you. Rest Assured, other than a handful of sick sick SICK fanboys, you have come across very well, and have made fools of your detractors. They attacked you from the 1st page, questioned your assertion - you PROVIDED a clear description, and their only response was to:
    1.say the same exploit could be done through various mechanical machinations
    2.claim you need human policies related to a BB10 device so it's your fault (yeah..that's what they did - doesn't help BB's image in the slightest)
    3.claim you also need BES 10 (also his fault - and what a way to sabotage your own argument)
    They look like fools now - real professionals indeed.

CB KEVIN: PLEASE read this thread. Nothing, makes CB, all of us, look more ASININE, more STUPID, than this kind of behavior. This can't be what you wanted....I just can't believe that. There are some rabid posters in this thread here that have the mentality of little kids. If you have a real solution, give it nicely....if you don't, thank Wayne for sharing this, and realize it is a real problem, that not only exists, but really did, affect his company. Sick...sick people....I'm going to say something I very rarely say: I'm out. 4 pages of irredeemable stuff....
    Wayne_Enterprises likes this.
    10-19-13 03:06 PM
    FINALLY: did any of these detractors and attackers - before they decided to make fools of themselves getting squashed by Wayne Enterprises - actually READ past the somewhat misleading headline of the article?? It wasn't very pro-BB at all!
    10-19-13 03:09 PM
    UNBELIEVABLE. Ray689 questions his integrity and truthfulness, asks him to post a screenshot, and then....when he gets it....questions the person's integrity. DISGUSTING.

Wayne Enterprises, you have NOTHING to retract or apologize for you. Rest Assured, other than a handful of sick sick SICK fanboys, you have come across very well, and have made fools of your detractors. They attacked you from the 1st page, questioned your assertion - you PROVIDED a clear description, and their only response was to:
    1.say the same exploit could be done through various mechanical machinations
    2.claim you need human policies related to a BB10 device so it's your fault (yeah..that's what they did - doesn't help BB's image in the slightest)
    3.claim you also need BES 10 (also his fault - and what a way to sabotage your own argument)
    They look like fools now - real professionals indeed.

CB KEVIN: PLEASE read this thread. Nothing, makes CB, all of us, look more ASININE, more STUPID, than this kind of behavior. This can't be what you wanted....I just can't believe that. There are some rabid posters in this thread here that have the mentality of little kids. If you have a real solution, give it nicely....if you don't, thank Wayne for sharing this, and realize it is a real problem, that not only exists, but really did, affect his company. Sick...sick people....I'm going to say something I very rarely say: I'm out. 4 pages of irredeemable stuff....
    First of all I didn't question his integrity and only called him out after he willingly posted an internal communication which is far more serious then just telling people where you work. Second of all, he is the one who has stated his company employs over 100,000 people not more than 3 weeks ago, only to be 70,000 today. Anyone can go on a forum and claim to be whatever they please. But contradictions such as this will surely get people to question them and their motives.
    So maybe you should calm down and stop with the insults.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 03:26 PM
    Doesn't matter. I already said its encrypted so unless you own the phone or can crack it it doesn't matter. If you own it you can misuse the info any time you please, so MDM and encryption, Balance/Knox etc are not a factor in that situation.

Knox kernel works differently than stock Android kernels. You should go read up on it.

Ladies and gentlemen the best backpedaling comment goes to.......

Posted via CB10
    mkelley65 and fanatical like this.
    10-19-13 04:40 PM
    FINALLY: did any of these detractors and attackers - before they decided to make fools of themselves getting squashed by Wayne Enterprises - actually READ past the somewhat misleading headline of the article?? It wasn't very pro-BB at all!
    Yeah.. i noticed the same.. LOL.. i was waiting for the 2nd page of the article to load and decided to come back and read the posts and got stuck here.. LOL..

but i felt that the article didn't try to persuade anyone, it just gives us some arguments (pro & con).. although it's pretty obvious that the writer thinks (like most people) that BlackBerry is pretty much dead.. sigh...

Posted via CB10
    Wayne_Enterprises likes this.
    10-19-13 07:00 PM
280 ... 45678 ...