You are so fixated as your dislike of BES10/BB10 that you can't see where the real problem lies. You think you have a solution but it is only a false sense of security. If the user can move a contact, then it is exactly the same as what you say is a BB10 "bug". Once they have moved that contact, then it will be synced to a personal account.
    Like I said, take work and security out of the equation. I have 4 personal exchange accounts. I don't want certain contacts to be in certain accounts. I can't do that with BB10.

Now what.

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    10-18-13 11:53 AM
    You swear a lot. Shows a lack of professionalism. But it only makes sense with the lack of understanding with this issue.
    What swear word did I use in this post? "God"??????

10-18-13 11:54 AM
    Everybody calm your tits.

IT Managers Say There's No Option Other Than BlackBerry For Security-img_00001250_edit.png

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    blusls likes this.
    10-18-13 11:57 AM
    And I have a bunch of users that use BYOD and corporate devices and don't have this issue.

This is a training issue for us. Amazingly, folks pay careful attention since we don't present this as a corporate security concern but as protection of their personal information (eg you don't want us to know about your next doctor's visit or with whom you're having an affair).

User training issues are not the same as baseline architectural issues. The end result may look the same, but the cause is vastly different.

However, I do agree that having a MDM in place and a sandboxed environment is the most effective solution. Regardless of that fact, that's not what we're discussing and tossing that out as a solution only masks the true deficiency.
    Which gets me back to W_E's problem. Getting personal information out of contacts. SSN's and Credit Card Numbers should not be entered into contact information. That is a training issue. W_E says he doesn't have time for that and thinks that just because the user switch the contact from a personal to work, that all is safe and sound. That is a false sense of security.
    gfondeur and blusls like this.
    10-18-13 11:57 AM
    We subscribe to BYOD, as many companies do these days. The parent company I work at for the most part is a media conglomerate. Lot's of personal information in contact cards, Credit Card info, SSN, Kid's SSNs, wife birthday, etc etc etc...

With that being said, here's the bug.

If a new contact is created ON THE BB10 device, it will sync the contact to Exchange, AND ALSO any accounts on the device with CONTACT SYNC ENABLED. If the newly created contact is deleted ON your desktop computer, it does not affect the contact that was synced to your other account (let's say g-mail for example.)

Now let's put this real world:

1) The CEO of our parent company gets a new assistant.
    2) The assistant brings her BB10 as part of BYOD.
    3) Her Work e-mail is setup on the BB10.
    4) A new contact is created on the BB10 device (let's say the CEO is always traveling and mobile computing is how they roll).
    5) Let's say the new contact was the CEO's new wife.
    6) Let's also say all of her personal information was inputted into the "notes" section.
    7) Unbeknownst to new assistant CEO, all of that information was synced to the assistant's personal account (G-mail).
    8) 5 weeks, and 30 new contact cards later, the assistant is fired, and her work email is remotely wiped from her BB10.
    9) Everything inputted as a new contact from her BB10 device during the time is now synced to her G-mail account if she for some reason is out for revenge, or wants to play "let's sell credit card #'s, or SSN #'s).

Bottom line is, in every other OS, and BB OS, you had the ability to select a default contacts application. BB10 got rid of that.
    That's not a bug that is no attention to detail by your it guy, in the advanced section is the option to have what you want to sync when you install the exchange account, if they were not checked off that is the tech error.

And the fact you have byod even accessing parts of your business network with sensitive data is crazy as well. The byod should only be used for Internet and Web based programs that still require some from of authentication to log in. You have to look at all angles if what the data is being done with and where to keep it safe, doesn't sound like this was considered here.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur, pcguy514 and moyah8 like this.
    10-18-13 12:00 PM
    Ummm...try re-reading these posts then try again. It's not a matter of initial account setup and choosing what to sync....wow...sometimes these BB power users amaze me.

That's not a bug that is no attention to detail by your it guy, in the advanced section is the option to have what you want to sync when you install the exchange account, if they were not checked off that is the tech error.

And the fact you have byod even accessing parts of your business network with sensitive data is crazy as well. The byod should only be used for Internet and Web based programs that still require some from of authentication to log in. You have to look at all angles if what the data is being done with and where to keep it safe, doesn't sound like this was considered here.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 12:08 PM
    Everybody calm your tits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00001250_edit.png 
Views:	741 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	211625

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    And what version of BB10 is that?
    10-18-13 12:09 PM
    Is this if you are using MS exchange with Active sync? If so, you cannot wipe a device remotely anyway.
    Actually you can.
    10-18-13 12:10 PM
    I will take everything I've said back if this is a 10.2 update and they finally listened to me.

And what version of BB10 is that?
    10-18-13 12:13 PM
    I'm on Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.641. I think this appeared on the early 10.2.1 builds.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    southlander likes this.
    10-18-13 12:16 PM
    What is the cost of not implementing proper security and IT policies?
    None when users already have other ways of accessing the same information. World isn't just about Mobile devices. There are many other ways to access same information while one is away from office and as many ways of leaking it or loosing it.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-18-13 12:37 PM
    I'm on Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.641. I think this appeared on the early 10.2.1 builds.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Exactly. So 4-6 (hopefully sooner) months from now this discussion becomes irrelevant.

At least we have something to look forward to.
    10-18-13 12:55 PM
    Actually I am missing something. I work for a large techcompany that uses Exchange ActiveSync(and they def know how to configure EAS). I have my BB and i have both my work email via EAS and my hotmail account. I have contact sync on and i am on 10.1.0.4200. I just did a refresh of my device and then did a search on hotmail, and I found no instance of my EAS contacts in my hotmail account. Are you positive that Account Syncing occurs. I understand your concern about people putting SS as part of the notes(its not that you want that to be common practice, but you realize users are the weakest link and you want to ensure mitigation is in place even if that happens). My Biggest gripe with Blackberry at the moment is that they don't have any notion of filtered permissions for apps. Basically as far as apps are concerned you either give them full access to your contacts, or non at all. Although I get that if i had BES i could restrict certain apps from getting access to my work/personal side, it still doesn't help the case that there is an app that is beneficial to employes but there are still certain things I would like private from a specific app.
    gfondeur and Davidro1 like this.
    10-18-13 12:57 PM
    Exactly. So 4-6 (hopefully sooner) months from now this discussion becomes irrelevant.

At least we have something to look forward to.
    It's not something a lot of people need. Resources are allocated to implementing more highly requested features first.

This is also why many enterprise customers will not adopt brand new technology.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    southlander likes this.
    10-18-13 01:04 PM
    Hahahaha you're too funny. So my organization should be forced to upgrade to BES 10 from BES 5 to match the security they used to have.

Their argument will be: "well, we don't have that issues with iOS and Droid. Work contacts created on the device stay in the work account".

Since it's free to upgrade at the moment and is the best security solution for managing Android, Ios and BlackBerry 10 and legacy devices, why the hell not? Bes 5 functionality would be retained, BlackBerry Balance could be implemented for BlackBerry 10 devices and the legendary BlackBerry security brought to Android and iPhone users.

Unless of course security is not a concern for your organisation. Bes 10 is the only logical MDM choice IMSLTHO.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    10-18-13 01:12 PM
    Actually I am missing something. I work for a large techcompany that uses Exchange ActiveSync(and they def know how to configure EAS). I have my BB and i have both my work email via EAS and my hotmail account. I have contact sync on and i am on 10.1.0.4200. I just did a refresh of my device and then did a search on hotmail, and I found no instance of my EAS contacts in my hotmail account. Are you positive that Account Syncing occurs. I understand your concern about people putting SS as part of the notes(its not that you want that to be common practice, but you realize users are the weakest link and you want to ensure mitigation is in place even if that happens). My Biggest gripe with Blackberry at the moment is that they don't have any notion of filtered permissions for apps. Basically as far as apps are concerned you either give them full access to your contacts, or non at all. Although I get that if i had BES i could restrict certain apps from getting access to my work/personal side, it still doesn't help the case that there is an app that is beneficial to employes but there are still certain things I would like private from a specific app.

Create a new contact or modify an existing contact. You'll see what's being discussed.
    10-18-13 01:24 PM
    It's not something a lot of people need. Resources are allocated to implementing more highly requested features first.

This is also why many enterprise customers will not adopt brand new technology.

Posted via CB10 on Q10

This discussion isn't about feature prioritization. The discussion is about info leakage in the product as it exists today.

I agree with you, BlackBerry has to do what they think is best with constrained resources.

Not sure that BlackBerry would agree on holding off the purchase of new devices. They need the sales. 😃
    10-18-13 01:27 PM
    just a minute .... are you thinking that because the BB10 contact book links contacts together into one entry that they sync all info???

because they don't ... that is just a virtual appearance of a single contact.

I checked my accounts and the contacts from one accounts are not synced into the others ... that would be very bad. My Hotamil account does not now have my gmail account info. Doesn't , my 3 different rogers accounts all have different contact lists and nothing from gmail or hotmail, etc

Are you sure this is a real problem , does one e-mail contact list get copied into other accounts for anyone else????
    Thank you. I was about to tear a strip too. No, mine don't. Let's get more BES admins on here to sort this out. I would fire the person walking around with CC info on phone in the first place. Yes you can't babysit, but you can certainly put company policies in place.

BlackBerry Since 2006. Z10 Rogers, Halifax NS
    gfondeur, pcguy514, web99 and 3 others like this.
    10-18-13 02:32 PM
    It is not garbage. I am not on BES 10. Re-read my post carefully and try again.

This is just garbage, I use my device for corporate emails and It does not do this thing. I believe you got it wrong. My corporate and personal contacts do not merge, and not sync to each other.
    10-18-13 02:46 PM
    Hey Wayne....can you black out all names and company info on the email your got from the CEO and show us a copy of it? I would like to see what he sent out to your 70k or 100k employees.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-18-13 02:46 PM
    Hey Wayne....can you black out all names and company info on the email your got from the CEO and show us a copy of it? I would like to see what he sent out to your 70k or 100k employees.

Posted via CB10
    Sure. When I get back from lunch

10-18-13 02:55 PM
    And is that information encrypted? Because if it isn't, it false security. And can the use change the information and put the work in the personal context. If they can, then it defeats the whole purpose. Again, false security.
    I think there are two issueere:

1. First is the contacts sync to all other accounts which is their issue

2. Is the encryption which is your question

Before we get to encryption, it seems all their contacts are syncing across all accounts which is their issue.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 03:54 PM
    IT Managers Say There's No Option Other Than BlackBerry For Security-screen-shot-2013-10-18-2.31.31-pm.jpg

I also never said it was from the CEO...I wish people would be better attention when reading and replying...

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    10-18-13 04:40 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 2.31.31 PM.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	211664

I also never said it was from the CEO...I wish people would be better attention when reading and replying...
    Okay I see. I do have one question and correct me if I'm wrong but you won't share the name of the company you work for but you are willing to post their internal communication online?
    10-18-13 07:11 PM
    Okay I see. I do have one question and correct me if I'm wrong but you won't share the name of the company you work for but you are willing to post their internal communication online?
    Why does it matter? I just haven't seen anyone give a valid argument as to why I should disclose who I work for, or how the disclosure would help anyone.
    10-18-13 07:14 PM
280 ... 23456 ...