Pretty sure I made it abundantly clear that we don't use BES 10 therefore wouldn't have balance....

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    Your first mistake is not using BES10.

Your second mistake is responding to a thread about BES10 and IT Managers security concerns by saying that BB10 devices are not secure and not using the tools to secure them.

Your last mistake is to not have good security policies and then not using good IT policies.
    10-18-13 10:27 AM

Your second mistake is responding to a thread about BES10 and IT Managers security concerns by saying that BB10 devices are not secure and not using the tools to secure them.
    So you're saying that without BES, BB10 is not really secure?
    richardat likes this.
    10-18-13 10:30 AM

Hahahaha you're too funny. So my organization should be forced to upgrade to BES 10 from BES 5 to match the security they used to have.

Their argument will be: "well, we don't have that issues with iOS and Droid. Work contacts created on the device stay in the work account".

10-18-13 10:30 AM
    Pretty sure I made it abundantly clear that we don't use BES 10 therefore wouldn't have balance....

You don't use BES10 as you have only a few Blackberries. You do know that BES 10 can secure other devices. What MDM solution do you have in your company?
    10-18-13 10:31 AM
    So you're saying that without BES, BB10 is not really secure?
    BB10 phones are more secure out of the box than iOS and Android. BES10 takes the BB10 devices to a whole level for businesses.
    gfondeur and moyah8 like this.
    10-18-13 10:33 AM
    Hahahaha you're too funny. So my organization should be forced to upgrade to BES 10 from BES 5 to match the security they used to have.

Their argument will be: "well, we don't have that issues with iOS and Droid. Work contacts created on the device stay in the work account".

Really? Are you sure about that? What is stopping someone from taking a screen shot and emailing the information? What is stopping someone from writing down the information? All this is mitigated with proper policies. You can't solve everything with IT. Start with the simple stuff, like a policy document on storing SSN# and credit card #s.
    kbz1960, wincyUt, gfondeur and 3 others like this.
    10-18-13 10:34 AM
    Can you not turn off the "sync across all devices/accounts" option?
    Nope. BB10 forces all contacts created on the device synced across all accounts with contacts sync. I could turn off my personal contacts sync, but that's counter-intuitive and a step backwards IMHO.

richardat likes this.
    10-18-13 10:36 AM
    Really? Are you sure about that?

I'm trying to understand your position better. Are you saying Work contacts created on the device should be synced to your Personal contacts??

10-18-13 10:37 AM
    BB10 phones are more secure out of the box than iOS and Android. BES10 takes the BB10 devices to a whole level for businesses.
    But you're stating that it's not secure enough out of the box for his organization without extra.

So, in a BYOD environment, BB10 needs an add-on which (and correct me if I'm wrong) works/will work with other platforms anyway?
    10-18-13 10:37 AM
    But you're stating that it's not secure enough out of the box for his organization without extra.

So, in a BYOD environment, BB10 needs an add-on which (and correct me if I'm wrong) works/will work with other platforms anyway?
    No smart phone is secure for business if you don't use an MDM solution. Business needs are different than personal ones.

Let's say that your had three personal email addresses. Would you not want to have all the contacts synchronized so you don't have to put the names in three times?
    gfondeur, collinc93 and Flatman like this.
    10-18-13 10:40 AM
    I'm trying to understand your position better. Are you saying Work contacts created on the device should be synced to your Personal contacts??
    What you think of Works contacts is in fact just Personal contacts with a Work email address. There really isn't any difference. The only business device that has an OS that separates Work and Personal properly is BB10 using Balance which needs BES10. You are only fooling yourself if you think that a Personal contact list with a Work email setup is really only for Work.
    gfondeur, moyah8 and aminrajabi like this.
    10-18-13 10:43 AM
    What you think of Works contacts is in fact just Personal contacts with a Work email address. There really isn't any difference. The only business device that has an OS that separates Work and Personal properly is BB10 using Balance which needs BES10. You are only fooling yourself if you think that a Personal contact list with a Work email setup is really only for Work.
    You are out of your goddamn mind

richardat likes this.
    10-18-13 10:47 AM
    Nope. BB10 forces all contacts created on the device synced across all accounts with contacts sync. I could turn off my personal contacts sync, but that's counter-intuitive and a step backwards IMHO.

Ok, but it sounds like if you were to have BES 10, which would give you BB Balance, that would solve your issue. But it seems like your company does not want to pay for the license seats for BES 10. So I'm not sure why this a complaint about the security features of BB10, as BB has provided a solution but it is not one that you want to use.

(BTW, I understand the hesitation to pay for BES 10 seats. My company did not migrate to BES 10 either; we use AirWatch instead. I don't know if AirWatch would achieve what you are looking to do though.)
    10-18-13 10:48 AM
    You are out of your goddamn mind

From the person who doesn't understand MDM.
    10-18-13 10:49 AM
    Ok, but it sounds like if you were to have BES 10, which would give you BB Balance, that would solve your issue. But it seems like your company does not want to pay for the license seats for BES 10. So I'm not sure why this a complaint about the security features of BB10, as BB has provided a solution but it is not one that you want to use.

(BTW, I understand the hesitation to pay for BES 10 seats. My company did not migrate to BES 10 either; we use AirWatch instead. I don't know if AirWatch would achieve what you are looking to do though.)
    It's not the money. It's the fact that to get a feature of BBOS and iOS, Droid, and Windows Mobile OS back to BB10, we'd have to buy more hardware.

10-18-13 10:50 AM
    From the person who doesn't understand MDM.
    Evidence? Or is this another blabbered out statement by you?

10-18-13 10:51 AM

Thanks for the info... I'm learning about this stuff.

So, in a BYOD environment such as his, BB10 does not seem to have a big advantage over other platforms, especially if they are FIPS compliant, correct?
    10-18-13 10:51 AM
    That's not good, something is not right here. Wasn't BlackBerry Balance feature utilised/tested to restrict and control account creation in the business space and segregate that from the PA's personal accounts for example?

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 10:53 AM
    It's not the money. It's the fact that to get a feature of BBOS and iOS, Droid, and Windows Mobile OS back to BB10, we'd have to buy more hardware.

Really, a company your size should have virtualized servers and a DataCenter Server license(s) so it is only the matter of creating a new VM. We only have 250 employees (not the 70-100K employees that you have) and we didn't have to buy more hardware to get BES 10 up and running. Just the lics.
    gfondeur, pcguy514, moyah8 and 2 others like this.
    10-18-13 10:53 AM

BES 5 CALS migreate to BES 10 CALS for FREE until 12/31/2013.
    10-18-13 10:56 AM
    Really, a company your size should have virtualized servers and a DataCenter Server license(s) so it is only the matter of creating a new VM. We only have 250 employees (not the 70-100K employees that you have) and we didn't have to buy more hardware to get BES 10 up and running. Just the lics.
    I don't think you can say with authority what his company needs. Within their budget and current setup, I think the question BBRY needs to answer is how BB10 can give Wayne an advantage.
    10-18-13 10:56 AM
    Thanks for the info... I'm leaving about this stuff.

So, in a BYOD environment such as his, BB10 does not seem to have a big advantage over other platforms, especially if they are FIPS compliant, correct?
    We don't even know if they use MDM software to manage the devices so it is hard to tell. BB10 devices are more secure out of the box than iOS and Android, and can be even more secure with a proper MDM solution like BES10. And there are 4 levels of FIPS compliance. iOS only has the lowest level 1 and BB10 is compliant across them all.
    gfondeur and southlander like this.
    10-18-13 10:57 AM
    That's not good, something is not right here. Wasn't BlackBerry Balance feature utilised/tested to restrict and control account creation in the business space and segregate that from the PA's personal accounts for example?
    Posted via CB10
    Blackberry Balance requires BES 10 to be activated. They didn't use BES 10 so they wouldn't have Balance.
    10-18-13 10:58 AM

Which may be what BlackBerry wants. Think about it, the only way to guarantee no information leakage or DLP is to use their MDM (BES10).

Ditto for S/MIME support.

And don't get me started on the lack of support for remote wiping SD cards (that's a standard EAS policy).

There's a reason folks are looking at BES10 but not buying. Just not cost-effective to setup a 2nd infrastructure to fully support BlackBerry to the same level the competition is supported with existing infrastructure.

This limited functionality approach may have worked for BlackBerry in the past but it definitely contributed to why they lost BES installations over the past few years and why many aren't considering them now.
    danprown likes this.
    10-18-13 10:58 AM
    We do.

You're missing the point again.

Our MIS executives saw this security risk, did a poll of BB10 devices currently in use, ran numbers, and realized it wasn't worth it to try and make the device work like it used to. They're letting the BES Service Contract for BES 5 run out next year because of the disappearing users and problems like this with OS10.

BlackBerry to them is a dead platform and more trouble than its worth at this stage in the game. But that's just our company. I'm sure others are still hanging in there and more power to them.

Suraj Jadhav likes this.
    10-18-13 10:59 AM
280 1234 ...