That's right! FINALLY some good information about BlackBerry gets posted in the media.

Jokes aside, some IT managers say there's no option other than BlackBerry for security - Computerworld
    10-18-13 08:34 AM
    Yet many companies are ditching BB and going to other devices.
    cwalt2166 and sklotz2000 like this.
    10-18-13 08:55 AM
    Yet many companies are ditching BB and going to other devices.
    Yup, the ones that don't care about security and probably the same ones who had their credit card and customer data hacked because security isn't a concern of them.
    10-18-13 09:10 AM
    I have a feeling a lot of companies that have ditched BlackBerry in the past little while will eventually come back after they have security breaches.

Posted via CB10 on the lovely Q10!
    10-18-13 09:12 AM
    You beat me to the punch...was going to post the same article! Good stuff...this also supports what I have been saying for months...the corporate world is very much behind on rolling out BB10 because of the BES10 certification inside their own companies...this is when companies are going to start ramping up the rollout....we'll see many more BB10 devices out in the wild in the coming months...mostly business users.

Additionally, this is why I feel very strongly about Amazon buying Blackberry now. Thought process here:
    1. Amazon is making a big push into the enterprise. A BBRY acquisition gets them right into the middle of the enterprise and furthers secure client-side access to Amazon Web Services(cloud infrastructure)
    2. Amazon's market presence, muscle and respect immediately AMPS up Blackberry's presence in the mobile market - all killer apps would be magically available on BB10, carriers would instantly give them more shelf space, device training to sales people, etc...the global sales channel and relationships is what Amazon does not have today with their mobile device strategy
    3. Build on BBRY's historically good reputation for quality devices, email, security and integration by putting resources and management in place to make dates, deliver on time and AMP up the innovation we've seen, but not been completely delivered upon
    4. Amazon's push into retail distribution...the Blackberry is a perfect device for consumer purchases, blurring the lines between online sales and retail store sales - I have lots more ideas here that they can leverage and utilize the device to do this
    5. The Amazon IT infrastructure is arguably one of the best cloud infrastructures out there today....merge Amazon's Cloud w/ BBY's NOC, leverage one with the other...and UNMATCHED infrastructure for tomorrow's mobile infrastructure
    6. We've seen BB phones work with the Playbook....replace Kindle with Playbook...you can see the synergies there!
    7. We know and have seen the synergies between BB10 and QNX in the cars...Amazon could buy into this part of the market...imagine location based alerts in your car as you go shopping and put the car in "shopping mode"
    8. BBM and Channels...imagine the Amazon channels and personal buying and selling channels that companies and individuals could set up to conduct purchasing opportunities all while leveraging the security of the underlying Blackberry security model and Amazon purchasing capabilities

Can someone please pass some of these ideas over to Jeff Bezos and his Executive team so that they can get this acquisition done with and we can get on with the "Business at Hand"?
    10-18-13 09:16 AM
    Its interesting what they say about Snowden and the NSA. I wonder if that will actually end up helping BlackBerry.

Unfortunately, I don't think anything really positive is going to happen until companies see stability in BB's future. Hopefully that will come with a Watsa or Mike L purchase.
    jupiter8 likes this.
    10-18-13 09:18 AM
    I agree with you for the most part, but my organization (worldwide 70k+ employees) decided not to upgrade to BES 10 as the # of people still on BlackBerry was too small, and because of that we don't have BlackBerry Balance.

No biggie, right?

Actually yes.

I found a bug, which RIM calls a "feature", they refused to pass it up to the dev team to get worked out, so I brought it up with one of our MIS VPs, and he showed the CIO who then issued a company wide broadcast email saying BB10 devices were not allowed on our network due to a security risk, and they would be monitoring the Radius server closely to make sure no BB10 Mac addresses showed up.

So that's a major BlackBerry security fail IMO.

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    10-18-13 09:24 AM
    I agree with you for the most part, but my organization (worldwide 70k+ employees) decided not to upgrade to BES 10 as the # of people still on BlackBerry was too small, and because of that we don't have BlackBerry Balance.

No biggie, right?

Actually yes.

I found a bug, which RIM calls a "feature", they refused to pass it up to the dev team to get worked out, so I brought it up with one of our MIS VPs, and he showed the CIO who then issued a company wide broadcast email saying BB10 devices were not allowed on our network due to a security risk, and they would be monitoring the Radius server closely to make sure no BB10 Mac addresses showed up.

Please enlighten us, what was the bug?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, bquinney, moyah8 and 1 others like this.
    10-18-13 09:36 AM

No biggie, right?

Actually yes.

So you have different ideas about security. I will trust Blackberry over you anytime. What is the feature? Most likely you are overreacting. BTW, You're company isn't doing so well, It went from 100K employees to 70K employees. What is your company? I am starting to have doubts on your postings.
    wincyUt, graylingboy and moyah8 like this.
    10-18-13 09:39 AM
    We subscribe to BYOD, as many companies do these days. The parent company I work at for the most part is a media conglomerate. Lot's of personal information in contact cards, Credit Card info, SSN, Kid's SSNs, wife birthday, etc etc etc...

With that being said, here's the bug.

If a new contact is created ON THE BB10 device, it will sync the contact to Exchange, AND ALSO any accounts on the device with CONTACT SYNC ENABLED. If the newly created contact is deleted ON your desktop computer, it does not affect the contact that was synced to your other account (let's say g-mail for example.)

Now let's put this real world:

1) The CEO of our parent company gets a new assistant.
    2) The assistant brings her BB10 as part of BYOD.
    3) Her Work e-mail is setup on the BB10.
    4) A new contact is created on the BB10 device (let's say the CEO is always traveling and mobile computing is how they roll).
    5) Let's say the new contact was the CEO's new wife.
    6) Let's also say all of her personal information was inputted into the "notes" section.
    7) Unbeknownst to new assistant CEO, all of that information was synced to the assistant's personal account (G-mail).
    8) 5 weeks, and 30 new contact cards later, the assistant is fired, and her work email is remotely wiped from her BB10.
    9) Everything inputted as a new contact from her BB10 device during the time is now synced to her G-mail account if she for some reason is out for revenge, or wants to play "let's sell credit card #'s, or SSN #'s).

Bottom line is, in every other OS, and BB OS, you had the ability to select a default contacts application. BB10 got rid of that.

Please enlighten us, what was the bug?

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    10-18-13 09:47 AM
    You beat me to the punch...was going to post the same article! Good stuff...this also supports what I have been saying for months...the corporate world is very much behind on rolling out BB10 because of the BES10 certification inside their own companies...this is when companies are going to start ramping up the rollout....we'll see many more BB10 devices out in the wild in the coming months...mostly business users.

Additionally, this is why I feel very strongly about Amazon buying Blackberry now. Thought process here:
    1. Amazon is making a big push into the enterprise. A BBRY acquisition gets them right into the middle of the enterprise and furthers secure client-side access to Amazon Web Services(cloud infrastructure)
    2. Amazon's market presence, muscle and respect immediately AMPS up Blackberry's presence in the mobile market - all killer apps would be magically available on BB10, carriers would instantly give them more shelf space, device training to sales people, etc...the global sales channel and relationships is what Amazon does not have today with their mobile device strategy
    3. Build on BBRY's historically good reputation for quality devices, email, security and integration by putting resources and management in place to make dates, deliver on time and AMP up the innovation we've seen, but not been completely delivered upon
    4. Amazon's push into retail distribution...the Blackberry is a perfect device for consumer purchases, blurring the lines between online sales and retail store sales - I have lots more ideas here that they can leverage and utilize the device to do this
    5. The Amazon IT infrastructure is arguably one of the best cloud infrastructures out there today....merge Amazon's Cloud w/ BBY's NOC, leverage one with the other...and UNMATCHED infrastructure for tomorrow's mobile infrastructure
    6. We've seen BB phones work with the Playbook....replace Kindle with Playbook...you can see the synergies there!
    7. We know and have seen the synergies between BB10 and QNX in the cars...Amazon could buy into this part of the market...imagine location based alerts in your car as you go shopping and put the car in "shopping mode"
    8. BBM and Channels...imagine the Amazon channels and personal buying and selling channels that companies and individuals could set up to conduct purchasing opportunities all while leveraging the security of the underlying Blackberry security model and Amazon purchasing capabilities

Can someone please pass some of these ideas over to Jeff Bezos and his Executive team so that they can get this acquisition done with and we can get on with the "Business at Hand"?
    Get out of my head! I had the same thought about Amazon. I see they are now working with HTC to do something similar.
    10-18-13 09:49 AM
    Sigh not for my company
    10-18-13 09:52 AM
    We subscribe to BYOD, as many companies do these days. The parent company I work at for the most part is a media conglomerate. Lot's of personal information in contact cards, Credit Card info, SSN, Kid's SSNs, wife birthday, etc etc etc...

If a new contact is created ON THE BB10 device, it will sync the contact to Exchange, AND ALSO any accounts on the device with CONTACT SYNC ENABLED. If the newly created contact is deleted ON your desktop computer, it does not affect the contact that was synced to your other account (let's say g-mail for example.)

4) A new contact is created on the BB10 device (let's say the CEO is always traveling and mobile computing is how they roll).
    6) Let's also say all of her personal information was inputted into the "notes" section.
    7) Unbeknownst to new assistant CEO, all of that information was synced to the assistant's personal account (G-mail).
    8) 5 weeks, and 30 new contact cards later, the assistant is fired, and her work email is remotely wiped from her BB10.
    9) Everything inputted as a new contact from her BB10 device during the time is now synced to her G-mail account if she for some reason is out for revenge, or wants to play "let's sell credit card #'s, or SSN #'s).

Bottom line is, in every other OS, and BB OS, you had the ability to select a default contacts application. BB10 got rid of that.
    So what stops said employees from writing this info down with pen and paper and doing the same thing?
    moyah8 and kupfernigk like this.
    10-18-13 09:56 AM
    So what stops said employees from writing this info down with pen and paper and doing the same thing?
    That's not the point we're arguing. Are you for real?

southlander and mset like this.
    10-18-13 09:57 AM
    As an IT manager, I'm saying the same thing
    sklotz2000 and Nharzhool like this.
    10-18-13 09:59 AM
    As an IT manager, I'm saying the same thing
    If this is a forum on pen and paper, sure, but this is a forum about mobile computing and that computing's security initiatives.

I'm saying, that the information is copied UNBEKNOWST to an average happy-go-lucky assistant, who might use the information for bad if he or she is fired and then finds out all of her former boss's contacts that she'd added is synced to her personal g-mail account.

As an IT manager did you think about that?

10-18-13 10:02 AM
    I have a feeling a lot of companies that have ditched BlackBerry in the past little while will eventually come back after they have security breaches.
    Yes... mobile security Armageddon. We've been waiting for that for several years.

In the mean time, competition was attaining FIPS and such.
    10-18-13 10:03 AM
    That's not the point we're arguing. Are you for real?

What is your point? Anyone using any phone working at any company that intends to do harm when let go can simply keep a notebook of things, you know the old way. I see no difference if they have this info on a device or on paper. But I'm sure everyone is searched before leaving to inside they have no notes with them.
    moyah8 likes this.
    10-18-13 10:04 AM
    Jokes aside, some IT managers say there's no option other than BlackBerry for security - Computerworld
    I think the main issue is that folks are not that concerned about security until something drastic happens. As soon as we hear a major organization (e.g. a major bank or professional services firm) has had their Apple/Android device hacked and sensitive client or proprietary information was compromised, no one is going to see the need for the added security of Blackberry.

I remember quite a few years ago, there were stories that organizations would hire hackers to see if they can compromise one of their competitors. I'm not suggesting this is morally correct or that they should consider this. I just recall that some organizations brought into question some of their competitors abilities by showing that their encryption schemes were not strong. It will take just one instance for people to realize why security is so important.
    10-18-13 10:09 AM
    If you are putting credit card # and SSN# in a notes section of a contact, you have bigger problems than BB10. This is a false problem. Step back and see that your contact policy is wrong and not BES10/BB10. A good company will know that your example is a policy problem and not a IT problem.
    10-18-13 10:11 AM

Can you not turn off the "sync across all devices/accounts" option?
    10-18-13 10:13 AM
    If you are putting credit card # and SSN# in a notes section of a contact, you have bigger problems than BB10. This is a false problem. Step back and see that your contact policy is wrong and not BES10/BB10. A good company will know that your example is a policy problem and not a IT problem.
    Thanks for blaringly discounting the root issue and putting the blame on the users.

The size of the organization is too large for users to be babysat as to what they're putting in their contact cards. But thanks for being the voice of all knowing reason.

What may not be a "problem" in your eyes, certainly is in ours.

southlander likes this.
    10-18-13 10:14 AM

In this scenario, are you using Balance? You do know there are policies that can control this. You can disable other email services other than your own. You can make sure the work contacts are not shared across to the personal side. You can wipe the work side so the assistant has this deleted before she is fired. There are so many things that can be done to prevent this. But it all comes from proper policies. BES10/BB10 are not he problem here. Your policies are.
    10-18-13 10:21 AM
    In this scenario, are you using Balance? You do know there are policies that can control this. You can disable other email services other than your own. You can make sure the work contacts are not shared across to the personal side. You can wipe the work side so the assistant has this deleted before she is fired. There are so many things that can be done to prevent this. But it all comes from proper policies. BES10/BB10 are not he problem here. Your policies are.
    Pretty sure I made it abundantly clear that we don't use BES 10 therefore wouldn't have balance....

21stNow, richardat and southlander like this.
    10-18-13 10:23 AM
    Thanks for blaringly discounting the root issue and putting the blame on the users.

The size of the organization is too large for users to be babysat as to what they're putting in their contact cards. But thanks for being the voice of all knowing reason.

What may not be a "problem" in your eyes, certainly is in ours.

Thanks for glaringly (not blaringly) not reading the BES 10 documentaton. The Personal Apps Access to Work Contacts rule and Balance will prevent what you want to prevent.
    10-18-13 10:26 AM
280 123 ...