On my old bold 9900 on bis, if I had a questionable email that appeared to be spam I would never open it on my PC but I had no fear opening it on my bold 9900. I never had a virus. I am in the process of training a new spam filter and I am currently getting a lot of messages marked spam that are valid emails. If I were to accidentally open a malicious SPAM email message on my Z30 would my device be automatically protected by the bb10 operating system

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 08:59 AM
    Your device is the BB10 system lol
    There is no way malware can infect it. In fact I don't think any viruses in existence run on BB10
    02-13-15 09:05 AM
    I always have to download attachments manually on my Z10. And even embedded pictures are blocked automatically. When you open an email you only see the plain text.
    02-13-15 09:08 AM
    Your device is the BB10 system lol
    There is no way malware can infect it. In fact I don't think any viruses in existence run on BB10
    This.

I wish people would remember why they got a BB in the first place.

SECURITY IS PARAMOUNT!
    02-13-15 09:11 AM
    Thanks for the reply that is great to know. I Have been a long time BlackBerry User and I was not quite aware of how awesome the OS was. This is something they need to make people more aware of

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    02-13-15 09:15 AM
    The correct answer is that there is no KNOWN malware on OS10.
    We hope that also, there is none existent.

Posted via CB10 | STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return.
    02-13-15 10:49 PM
    The correct answer is that there is no KNOWN malware on OS10.
    We hope that also, there is none existent.

Pretty sure that if any existed, it would all over CB like maggots on a dead dog.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    02-13-15 11:34 PM
    On my old bold 9900 on bis, if I had a questionable email that appeared to be spam I would never open it on my PC but I had no fear opening it on my bold 9900. I never had a virus. I am in the process of training a new spam filter and I am currently getting a lot of messages marked spam that are valid emails. If I were to accidentally open a malicious SPAM email message on my Z30 would my device be automatically protected by the bb10 operating system

Posted via CB10
    One thing you need to be aware of, with scam/spoof/phishing emails, even though the bb10 OS is currently highly resistant (one hesitates to say 'invulnerable' given to what happened to the Titanic), once you open one up and that act gets synced to the email server, thanks to read reports it means youve just confirmed your email address to be real to the spammers. You will then receive more junk as a consequence.

02-13-15 11:40 PM
    Pretty sure that if any existed, it would all over CB like maggots on a dead dog.

Existed === is known today.

Let me remind you that the day before yesterday ( if I am not mistaken) a very well known OS company patched a vulnerability that was on all its operating systems for the last 15 years but was not known until recently.

02-14-15 11:05 AM
    One thing you need to be aware of, with scam/spoof/phishing emails, even though the bb10 OS is currently highly resistant (one hesitates to say 'invulnerable' given to what happened to the Titanic), once you open one up and that act gets synced to the email server, thanks to read reports it means youve just confirmed your email address to be real to the spammers. You will then receive more junk as a consequence.

You also may want to turn off automatic image download, because contacting the server with a "personalized" URL might do the same work as a read receipt.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    diegonei and guygardner73 like this.
    02-14-15 11:27 AM
    Vulnerabilities are NOT malware.
    Vulnerabilities are NOT viruses.

Moot point.
    02-14-15 11:28 AM
    Existed === is known today.

Let me remind you that the day before yesterday ( if I am not mistaken) a very well known OS company patched a vulnerability that was on all its operating systems for the last 15 years but was not known until recently.

No need to remind me of something I didn't know in the first place. What company are you referring to that has multiple operating systems? And a vulnerability is not malware. Vulnerabilities are continuously being discovered and OS'S patched to compensate. I reiterate my previous comment: I'm almost certain that there is no known malware on BlackBerry 10. Feel free to post proof to the contrary as I'm always ready to be educated.

02-14-15 11:34 AM
    You also may want to turn off automatic image download, because contacting the server with a "personalized" URL might do the same work as a read receipt.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    Thanks, solid advice.

02-14-15 11:35 AM

I don't think this can happen unless you set automatic download for images
    The read receipt doesn't work with BB10 afaik unless you access the images, but I may be wrong
    02-14-15 12:06 PM
    I don't think this can happen unless you set automatic download for images
    The read receipt doesn't work with BB10 afaik unless you access the images, but I may be wrong
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into it further. I assumed that when the email server eg outlook.com registered the email as read, then the receipt gets sent from there.

02-14-15 12:30 PM
    Vulnerabilities are NOT malware.
    Vulnerabilities are NOT viruses.

Moot point.
    You don't need viruses and malwares to exploit a vulnerability.
    Nevertheless, I respect your right to have your own opinion as I do.
    I am not saying that OS 10 is garbage. I like it a lot, I am using it and defending it's existence to the "hostile" Ios and android fans and I believe that it is way more secure than other OSs.
    Having said that, one must always keep ones eyes peeled. Is there a truly secured system?
    I believe not. Especially a phone, which is designed to be always connected to a network.
    Thank you for this productive dialogue.

02-15-15 05:22 AM
    It's not a opinion, is a fact.

I'm not debating that exploits exist.

All software have holes (BlackBerry patches them as they notice them, we all know that) but that does not mean anything for the end user. You'd need to be that important for a hacker to bother attacking good directly via one of these exploits. Also, most of not all the time, the exploits are on a component (so long Flash!) and not BlackBerry 10 itself.

You pointing that all software exploits on a thread about malware is at the very best misleading. At least in the way you blunted it in.

If done as a side note, it would have added greatly to the conversation.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 07:30 AM
    If you find it suspicious, don't open, never sign up, block or ignore. Ask a friend or Google.

PasaportePilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267
    02-15-15 07:38 AM
    It's not a opinion, is a fact.

I'm not debating that exploits exist.

All software have holes (BlackBerry patches them as they notice them, we all know that) but that does not mean anything for the end user. You'd need to be that important for a hacker to bother attacking good directly via one of these exploits. Also, most of not all the time, the exploits are on a component (so long Flash!) and not BlackBerry 10 itself.

You pointing that all software exploits on a thread about malware is at the very best misleading. At least in the way you blunted it in.

If done as a side note, it would have added greatly to the conversation.

Posted via CB10
    The OP is about a spam. Spams can be used in phishing or spear phishing. Spams may include links to web pages that can take advantage of unknown vulnerabilities. OS10 like other OSs is not open source so if there are any unknown, they can be kept unpublished for a while allowing the one who is aware of them to take advantage and compromise a system.
    This is what I meant.
    English is not my native language so I apologise if I mislead anyone. Not that I think that I created may damage misleading anyone with my views.

Last edited by akavbb; 02-15-15 at 12:25 PM.
    diegonei likes this.
    02-15-15 09:38 AM
    The OO is about a spam. Spams can be used in phishing or spear phishing. Spams may include links to web pages that can take advantage of unknown vulnerabilities. OS10 like other OSs is not open source so if there are any unknown, they can be kept unpublished for a while allowing the one who is aware of them to take advantage and compromise a system.
    This is what I meant.
    English is not my native language so I apologise if I mislead anyone. Not that I think that I created may damage misleading anyone with my views.
    Made for interesting debate, nonetheless.
    akavbb likes this.
    02-15-15 10:04 AM