So, I updated to 10.1 last night from the last official version EE released here in the UK, which was OS Version 10.0.10.690. I now have:

Software Release 10.0.9.348
    OS Version 10.1.0 .1720

My Z10 now has MAJOR problems!

Native apps using the Cascades UI stutter badly when scrolling and when parts of the UI move across the screen there's no smooth snappiness any more. It looks like it's struggling to move graphics around the screen, like it has to drop the animation frame rate to get it done in time. Even the 'busy' circle that appears on the middle of the screen when an app is doing something stutters its way round. It's very noticeable in the CB10 app with it being so Cascades heavy. I'm also noticing it in the Hub and anywhere with the scrolling and pop-out user interface elements. This is 13 hours after updating and after several reboots and battery pulls.

Android ports won't load, whether they were downloaded from BlackBerry World or side loaded. I get a blue progress bar along the bottom of the app screen for several seconds which moves along but then the app closes without loading. Reboots don't fix it.

Can't open attachments in emails! Every single one says "Cannot create a temp file for the specified attachment." when I try to open one. Reboots don't fix it.

I'll add more broken things as I find them but this is a disastrous 'update' for me. Don't think there's any way to go back without using a very old leak which I don't want to do. I'll have to try reloading the OS using Link to see if the broken things work second time round. I didn't want to spend my weekend sorting this crap out BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 05-18-13 at 04:52 AM.
    05-18-13 04:11 AM
    The "stutter" issue seems to be fairly common from what I've read. Maybe 10.1.1 will fix it, or another leak?
    05-18-13 04:24 AM
    Go into BlackBerry App World and check for updates. After my 10.1 update many of my apps needed updates. Seems they need to be reconfigured for 10.1 to work properly. Once they're updated, your apps should work 100% assuming the developers added 10.1 support

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    05-18-13 04:30 AM
    I'm not waiting for another update to fix the update!

Just found another problem. When I try to place the cursor on some text I'm editing it randomly decides to select text instead. I then have to move the selector pins to the very end of the stream of text and then type a space to get the cursor there then scroll back up and tap where I want the cursor to be. Annoying beyond belief.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 04:30 AM
    Go into BlackBerry App World and check for updates. After my 10.1 update many of my apps needed updates. Seems they need to be reconfigured for 10.1 to work properly. Once they're updated, your apps should work 100% assuming the developers added 10.1 support

Posted via CB10
    Good suggestion, I'll try that now. I did download Skype from BlackBerry World straight after updating so that's the correct version for 10.1 already but it looks like my Android Player is now broken.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 04:35 AM
    Updating apps hasnt helped, there isn't an update for CB10 after 10.1 went on my phone.

The Cascades stutter isn't app specific anyway, it's a core GUI element of the OS. Placing the cursor randomly deciding to select text is the OS too. They would need OS updates to fix. I hope it's just that the update to 10.1 didn't go well on my phone the first time and that wiping and reloading using Link will be better second time round.

Has the Reload OS function of Link been fixed yet? It wasn't working last month for some but not tried it myself.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 04:49 AM
    I haven't experienced your problem with the cursor? Either you're holding your finger on the screen when you're trying to edit instead of just a light tap? The editing circle should pop up after a quick tap over the text you want to edit? And if it selects the text with pins, just tap elsewhere on the text and it goes away? Maybe you should go onto BlackBerry Link and back up your device and then click reload device software. Sounds like something might've gone wrong with your 10.1 update since you say the android emulator isn't working?

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 04:52 AM
    I think there was definitely a problem with your update. I have none of the issues you're describing at all. I don't know if it's working, I haven't ever used it. Otherwise if that doesn't work, only thing I can suggest is loading the leaked OS. It seems to be the exact same version as the official release and I had no issues with it. Just need to restart the phone a few times after first installing to get rid of some laggyness

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 04:56 AM
    I haven't experienced your problem with the cursor? Either you're holding your finger on the screen when you're trying to edit instead of just a light tap? The editing circle should pop up after a quick tap over the text you want to edit? And if it selects the text with pins, just tap elsewhere on the text and it goes away?
    I'm just doing a quick tap to position the cursor as I've always done in 10.0, now it sometimes works but sometimes puts it in to text selection mode. If that happens and I quick tap elsewhere that just moves the selector pins around and pressing the cancel-text-selection button on the overflow menu doesn't even cancel it anymore! It's broken.

Maybe you should go onto BlackBerry Link and back up your device and then click reload device software. Sounds like something might've gone wrong with your 10.1 update since you say the android emulator isn't working?
    That's the plan. My Android Player is dead and I can't live without Kik so that has to be fixed today. Link OS Reload had better have been fixed or Thorsten Heins wakes up with a horses head next to him in the morning.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-18-13 05:35 AM
    I think there was definitely a problem with your update. I have none of the issues you're describing at all. I don't know if it's working, I haven't ever used it. Otherwise if that doesn't work, only thing I can suggest is loading the leaked OS. It seems to be the exact same version as the official release and I had no issues with it. Just need to restart the phone a few times after first installing to get rid of some laggyness

Posted via CB10

Good tip on the latest leak, if Link lets me down I'll try the leak to get me by.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 05:40 AM
    Good luck man! Hope it works!

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 05:50 AM
    I'm just doing a quick tap to position the cursor as I've always done in 10.0, now it sometimes works but sometimes puts it in to text selection mode. If that happens and I quick tap elsewhere that just moves the selector pins around and pressing the cancel-text-selection button on the overflow menu doesn't even cancel it anymore! It's broken.

Posted via CB10
    Exact same issue. Your description fits perfectly for what I experience.

I also have the problem that making the home screen gesture, when having the keyboard activated in the HUB, mostly doesn't do anything.
    It's as if that should be a feature to prevent accident swipes when typing, but it just makes using the HUB harder ;(

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 05:59 AM
    The making the home screen gesture with the keyboard up has been disabled in 10.1 and I'm glad. I always got annoyed when trying to swipe a word up from the spacebar and instead got sent to the home screen. If you want to take the keyboard away, a 2 finger swipe down closes it. And vice versa, 2 finger swipe up from the bottom opens it.

With regards to your issues, follow what's been suggested here. Just a question though, are both of you on the same carrier? Either something went wrong in your update process or if you're on the same carrier, maybe they fiddled with it before releasing and corrupted the update somehow?

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 06:07 AM
    I also have a very irritating issue after the update. The battery dies after 40%. The battery meter does not show accurate battery remaining. I reverted back to 10.0 OS and it works fine. I'm on STL100-1. Any suggestions?
    05-18-13 06:23 AM
    I also have a very irritating issue after the update. The battery dies after 40%. The battery meter does not show accurate battery remaining. I reverted back to 10.0 OS and it works fine. I'm on STL100-1. Any suggestions?
    How long ago did you update? I've also got an STL100-1. I did experience the battery draining extremely fast immediately after the update but 2 days later and the UI is as smooth as ever and battery performance is better than before. So maybe just give it time? Also try restarting the phone a few times. I found that helped sort out a few minor issues with me

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 06:40 AM
    The making the home screen gesture with the keyboard up has been disabled in 10.1 and I'm glad. I always got annoyed when trying to swipe a word up from the spacebar and instead got sent to the home screen. If you want to take the keyboard away, a 2 finger swipe down closes it. And vice versa, 2 finger swipe up from the bottom opens it.

With regards to your issues, follow what's been suggested here. Just a question though, are both of you on the same carrier? Either something went wrong in your update process or if you're on the same carrier, maybe they fiddled with it before releasing and corrupted the update somehow?

Posted via CB10
    Tap and hold the space bar also minimizes the keyboard.

Posted from my Z10
    05-18-13 06:58 AM
    My carrier is EE here in the UK.

I'm trying a security wipe and then a software update again before resorting to reloading the OS with Link.

Actually I tried the Reload button in Link with the phone plugged once the security wipe had finished but it complained that the Setup on the phone hadn't completed so it wouldn't do anything. It's nearly on the install step 2 of the OS update right now so I'll know shortly if things are any better. If not I'll try Link again, and failing that the most recent leak of 10.1

I did notice it's a little trickier to minimise an app with the keyboard open in 10.1 if you're not deliberate enough but I usually start my swipe up from the Blackberry logo below the screen so that change shouldn't bother me.

The text selection/cursor positioning problem had better not be a bug in 10.1 because I edit text a lot with my Z10. If it is I'll be hunting for a version of 10.0 to put back on my phone and NOT upgrading my 40 BB10 users at work until I know it's fixed.
    05-18-13 07:32 AM
    Install 100% complete, ready for first reboot, and something looks different in a positive way already. After last nights update to 10.1 I was left with Software Release 10.0.9.348, but after a security wipe and update now I have Software Release 10.1.0.273 - sounds much more like it!

Rebooting now....
    05-18-13 07:45 AM
    I managed to replicate what you said happens with the cursor. But I don't know how and I haven't been able to do it again. Might be a bug although I think it's more likely it's a function which is activated by fulfilling certain parameters becuz I know the phone had selected a character of a word in a certain way or something like that when it happened to me while I was editing text.

Maybe try to see if you can find something in common each time it happens? Take note of what the spell correction's doing, the word selection, placing of the cursor on the word, what you had just done immediately prior to it happening, etc to see if you can find out what makes it happen. As I say, I can't get it to happen again no matter how much I try. Might be a bug which affects some devices more than others but who knows. If it still persists with you after doing the update again and you can't find anything which seems to activate it, then maybe try loading the leak. There after if it's still happening, switch back to bb10.0. That's all I can suggest

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 07:55 AM
    Aha! There was your issue! It was a bad 10.1 install after all!

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 07:56 AM
    The 10.1 seems to be running smoothly for me so far, but I did encounter the cursor/selection mode issue a couple of times today. I first thought it was something I was doing wrong, although I couldn't figure out what, but after reading this thread I now think it might be a bug!

Posted via Z10
    05-18-13 07:57 AM
    So About / OS now shows:

Software Release 10.1.0.273
    OS Version 10.1.0 .1720

I have no mail accounts setup, lets sign in to my BB ID and see if Cascades in the CB10 app stutters...
    05-18-13 07:59 AM
    Ok no Cascades stutter in CB10 or the Hub with no mail accounts setup. Let's add my mail accounts and see then...

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 08:02 AM
    Cascades are choppy on every 10.1 release I have used. In the hub as apps. Not very responsive. Leaks as official releases of the OS. I'm in the process of downgrading to 10.0 right now for testing purposes to see if it is smoother as I remember it. I even get less frequent stutters by just swiping between app pages.
    05-18-13 08:03 AM
    Don't worry about the stuttering. It seems to happen to everyone straight after install even without email setup. Give the phone 2 or 3 reboots in a row and ignore the stuttering issue until tomorrow night. It seems to clear up with time. My phone stuttered every time I minimised an app up until this morning and now it's buttery smooth! Battery might also seem like it's draining quickly but that should come right too after a day or so

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 08:06 AM
31 12