Right, I've finally made the jump from my Z10 to Passport! Still getting used to the keyboard but can already see how beneficial it is. But that's for a whole other thread...

I've had this bug on my Z10 for over a year, I've posted about it and no one seemed to know what it was or could replicate it. Got the Passport now, and I thought it would be gone forever - boy was I wrong! And very upset when it popped up on my second day of using!

So I'll get to the bug - I am in A LOT of WhatsApp groups - 40 to be precise. There is a lot of media shared in every single group. In total, I have around 30,000 photos on my memory card and about 5000 videos. Now if I use an app that uses the File Manager (for example sending a picture on WhatsApp, saving a picture through iGrann/Inst10 - anything that opens File Manager) - the first time I do this I have no issues. But then if I use an app and try to access my File Manager again, the whole app basically crashes.

To try and explain in detail what it does: if for example I go to send or save a picture which is supposed to open File Manager to select a location, it will INSTANTLY open File Manager as if it was already open, and will be stuck on the location path I was on when I first used File Manager. From there I cannot close it or move to any other path, or select/save any media. I have to close the app and reopen it to use it again. I'm unable to use File Manager in any app from this point, meaning I can't save anything or send anything. The only work around I know of is by going directly into the File Manager app itself (which always works) and finding the media, and pressing "share" to WhatsApp/Instagram etc - I can't do it through the app itself. The other is to restart my phone, so I can do it straight from within an app (again only once as from the second try onwards it freezes up).

Now I'm guessing that this is happening because I have SO much media on my memory card. Saying that, I have a high speed 64gb so the memory card itself shouldn't be a problem, and I'm gonna guess that it's the way the OS handles mass amounts of files.

This problem haunted me for over a year on my Z10. Got the Passport yesterday, opened an imagine in Magic Photos to edit the colours, then closed it.. opened the app again and tried to open an image, but what do you know - it instantly opens File Manager at the location of the image I was just working on and freezes!!

I really thought I wouldn't have this issue anymore, and if anyone knows what I can do to fix it please let me know. One thing I don't want to do is remove any of the media... I'm a hoarder when it comes to my media and history.

Does anyone else experience this problem? I mean is there anyone else who has around 30,000 pictures on a memory card who can try and replicate the issue?

Sorry for the essay guys!!

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 01:59 PM
    Sorry, I'll add - one more way around it is to just not close the app, wait a really long time for the File Manager to sort itself out and eventually it loads properly. I remember just waiting hours, then eventually I saw the File Manager screen load up and I was able to use it again. However once I opened a pic, I was unable to do so again unless used one of the above methods

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 02:09 PM
    Are all the files in the same directory? Perhaps 30k in files isn't indexable with any speed so it lags or crashes. Completely a guess.

I would try creating folders and sorting stuff into the folders. See how it responses with lets say 10k in files.

Since I have never used a folder I tested it quick. I added a directory under photos on my SD card, moved a pic to it and it showed up under albums. I didn't move or create it on my Z10, I did it while it is connected to my pc (usb) and did the work that way.
    03-13-15 02:17 PM
    IIRC FAT32 has a limit of around 65k files in a single directory. The only way you'd come close to that is if there are auto-generated thumbnails for instance.
    03-13-15 02:48 PM
    I had a similar issue. I've carried over my SD from many previous BlackBerry OS/10 devices, with thousands of pics, mp3s, etc. A while back the File Manager on my Z30 would take forever to load (or not load at all), media player was slow, pics wouldn't load. I took a backup of the SD card and formatted it in Windows, then again via by BlackBerry. Copied the files back and was good as new.

With thousands of files and numerous means of transferring files (directly on device, BlackBerry Link, wireless), eventually you're going to encounter a corruption issue somewhere. If formatting the card doesn't help, you may need a new one. I tend to stick with brand name SD cards. SanDisk class 10 cards have been pretty reliable for me. Too many of my friends have had nothing but bad luck with no name or lower quality/cheap SD cards.

Posted via CB10
    undone and Dave Bourque like this.
    03-13-15 03:15 PM
    What brand are you using an what class of sd card is it? That's most likely the source of the problem.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 04:11 PM
    All these are great suggestions get a class 10 SD, file your picture, and media in smaller sub folders, and every once in a while like Defrag on a hard drive I would copy them all over in a group to my PC or backup drive format the SD then move them back, I know a pain but sounds like your a power user and need to do some housekeeping. Think of it as owning 10000 pairs of jeans you can wear them all once but eventually you gotta wash them hahaha

Posted from my Zed30 running 10.3.1.2267
    03-13-15 04:22 PM
    Oh and in your title you should be more descriptive so it helps out others looking for help, thanks man!!

Posted from my Zed30 running 10.3.1.2267
    03-13-15 04:24 PM
    Very slow reaction of power/u button on BlackBerry Passport

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 06:07 PM
    Sorry for the basic title!

I also thought it was the SD card itself. I was using a SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSDHC 32gb UHS-I Class 10

Had the problem with that. But recently I bought a Samsung Evo 64gb which is also a UHS-I Class 10, copied all my files over and now use that in my Passport.

I keep all those photos in one folder (Media Card\Photos\WhatsApp) as that's where they are automatically stored and has to stay if I wanna be able to access them within WhatsApp

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 06:51 PM
    List your files or media in LIST view. Reason because like th e Unix component or basically of files the thumbnail view in.BBM is going to be slow with so.many pictures. It'll try to.index and load more.data than the name.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 10:27 PM
    Sorry for the basic title!

I also thought it was the SD card itself. I was using a SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSDHC 32gb UHS-I Class 10

Had the problem with that. But recently I bought a Samsung Evo 64gb which is also a UHS-I Class 10, copied all my files over and now use that in my Passport.

I keep all those photos in one folder (Media Card\Photos\WhatsApp) as that's where they are automatically stored and has to stay if I wanna be able to access them within WhatsApp

Posted via CB10
    That's the issue. QNX is not going to cache 30'000 pictures line UNIX or Linux will on your PC. Keep them according to a topic: Funnys, animated sexy, etc etc.

Posted via CB10
    undone likes this.
    03-13-15 10:29 PM
    That's the issue. QNX is not going to cache 30'000 pictures line UNIX or Linux will on your PC. Keep them according to a topic: Funnys, animated sexy, etc etc.

Posted via CB10
    Cheers, the only problem with that is if I put them in separate folders, I can't view the pics within WhatsApp anymore. Unless the app itself updated to put pics from each group into its own folder maybe?

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 03:20 AM
    Cheers, the only problem with that is if I put them in separate folders, I can't view the pics within WhatsApp anymore. Unless the app itself updated to put pics from each group into its own folder maybe?

Posted via CB10
    Are you able to create folders within the whatsapp folder?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    03-20-15 05:17 AM
    Are you able to create folders within the whatsapp folder?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    Yeah manually, the only problem is if I put folders inside the main WhatsApp folder, you can't access them from within the app itself as it won't be in its native place.

Doesn't sound like such a big deal but the reason I need to access from within the app itself, is if I'm looking for media from a particular group I can just go to that group and look at all the media

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 10:54 AM