One more thing, under settings and network connection and Wi-Fi, give us a snap shot of saved Wi-Fi connection. If you don?t want to for any reason, just let us know if there is any other Wi-Fi connection besides your own.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 12:18 PM
    One more thing, under settings and network connection and Wi-Fi, give us a snap shot of saved Wi-Fi connection. If you don?t want to for any reason, just let us know if there is any other Wi-Fi connection besides your own.

Posted via CB10
    Considering I had this issue or something similar on 10.3.1 and thought it was the leaks fault, I just downgraded last week.. Alas I only have my home wifi as a saved connection for now
    12-09-14 12:21 PM
    Major Battery Killing Bug in BBM - Confirmed proof-img_20141209_103433.pngMajor Battery Killing Bug in BBM - Confirmed proof-img_20141209_103406.pngMajor Battery Killing Bug in BBM - Confirmed proof-img_20141209_103358.png
    These are shots of BBM under app manager and what I have turned off on BBM.
    12-09-14 12:45 PM
    Heres mine

Major Battery Killing Bug in BBM - Confirmed proof-img_20141209_135347.png

I don't think there is anything left to do other than a wipe, software reload after the wipe... then ONLY open BBM and do nothing else and see if I can still reproduce the issue. I may or may not have the patience to do that this weekend.
    12-09-14 12:55 PM
    If you do this ^, add things back one at a time for testing. Start out with just BBM and then move onto the next thing. Then wait a bit and check it again.
    compuboy04 likes this.
    12-09-14 01:50 PM
    Hi, do you have Evernote installed? Same thing happened to my Blackberry which was showing BBM using the battery up fast, I can remember updating Evernote which mentioned something about integrating with BBM. I've taken off Evernote and the battery usage is now back to normal.
    12-09-14 04:46 PM
    All I have to say is thank freaking god someone has definitively found something pertaining to this issue.

Far too often these BBM battery drain threads would digress into "Mine is fine you must be an idioot"

I have staff that get this from time to time and the only thing I could isolate is that they travel from LTE areas to no signal areas. What helped was lowering the Network setting to 3G. All issues were on mobile data but lowering seemed to stop the issue? That and a reboot.

Subscribed...thanks for your dedication to this issue.
    12-09-14 05:24 PM
    BBM does use alot of resources... anyone with an apple or android device... most my friends who don't have native blackberry complain it drains battery
    12-09-14 06:02 PM
    I am sure that this is going to give BlackBerry a big pain if word goes out in the public / press.

On the other hand... I can't seem to reproduce what Compu boy is seeing. Maybe it is just me.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 06:19 PM
    I am sure that this is going to give BlackBerry a big pain if word goes out in the public / press.

On the other hand... I can't seem to reproduce what Compu boy is seeing. Maybe it is just me.

Posted via CB10
    Do you understand what I did with dns adblock? Your running your own dns on wifi right? Did you use bbm for a few hours? If so I will bite the bullet and wipe my phone like described above
    12-09-14 06:45 PM
    OK so if you're using ad blocking software on your wifi router, this will happen?

The part I don't understand is the major data transfer. Shouldn't that NOT happen if you're blocking stuff?

Anyway, my battery life has been pretty awesome so I'm not convinced that this is a bug in BBM so much as a weird issue with the OP's wifi configuration. Still worth reporting I guess.
    12-09-14 06:58 PM
    OK so if you're using ad blocking software on your wifi router, this will happen?

The part I don't understand is the major data transfer. Shouldn't that NOT happen if you're blocking stuff?

Anyway, my battery life has been pretty awesome so I'm not convinced that this is a bug in BBM so much as a weird issue with the OP's wifi configuration. Still worth reporting I guess.
    No it's a bug :-)
    Heres whats happening... I have a domain controller on my network that's also a DNS server. Same type of setup like exists in the majority of businesses. On my DNS server I have some domains including api.mixpanel.com resolving to 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0
    I connect to my wifi network on my q10 and it uses my domain controller for DNS... all normal, all standard. At some point my q10 sends a dns request for api.mixpanel.com and my dns server replies 0.0.0.0 rather than the real answer (ad blocking using dns). The q10 then proceeds to send the same dns request 10-20 times a second or more until it kills the battery.

This should never happen and it's 100% on the phone. The traffic is generated by the phone requesting the same info over and over again from the DNS server. People in the field can tell you.... 200mb of dns traffic for one device is A LOT. Anyone trying to reproduce this needs to know... I am using DNS ad blocking, not web filtering.
    stealthbob likes this.
    12-09-14 07:05 PM
    No it's a bug :-)
    Heres whats happening... I have a domain controller on my network that's also a DNS server. Same type of setup like exists in the majority of businesses. On my DNS server I have some domains including api.mixpanel.com resolving to 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0
    I connect to my wifi network on my q10 and it uses my domain controller for DNS... all normal, all standard. At some point my q10 sends a dns request for api.mixpanel.com and my dns server replies 0.0.0.0 rather than the real answer (ad blocking using dns). The q10 then proceeds to send the same dns request 10-20 times a second or more until it kills the battery.

This should never happen and it's 100% on the phone. The traffic is generated by the phone requesting the same info over and over again from the DNS server. People in the field can tell you.... 200mb of dns traffic for one device is A LOT. Anyone trying to reproduce this needs to know... I am using DNS ad blocking, not web filtering.
    Is this limited to WIFI only?

...any possibilities with mobile data?
    12-09-14 08:16 PM
    Is this limited to WIFI only?

...any possibilities with mobile data?
    No. Like I said in the first post... this is a wifi only issue and ONLY will happen if you use DNS adblocking
    12-09-14 09:09 PM
    it wouldn't do anything over the mobile network because the mobile network doesn't go through his ad blocking dns server. seems like once the connection is blocked once it just relentlessly attacks your dns server in hopes it'll eventually put it's guard down and/or you go onto the mobile network, where it can send the analytics data to Mixpanel and do it's deed.
    compuboy04 likes this.
    12-09-14 09:35 PM
    All,
    I've made up my mind. Late tonight or tomorrow i'm going to backup my device, do a wipe and then even a software reload after the wipe. Then I will update the BBM app to the latest version and retest this issue. I will do nothing else at all.
    This should tell us for sure if this is related to anything weird i'm doing or any apps I have or anything wrong with my OS. When i'm done testing I can simply restore my backup with no harm done :P
    Norg, mrfreeze, moody and 1 others like this.
    12-09-14 09:39 PM
    All,
    I've made up my mind. Late tonight or tomorrow i'm going to backup my device, do a wipe and then even a software reload after the wipe. Then I will update the BBM app to the latest version and retest this issue. I will do nothing else at all.
    This should tell us for sure if this is related to anything weird i'm doing or any apps I have or anything wrong with my OS. When i'm done testing I can simply restore my backup with no harm done :P
    I think the apk analysis showing that particular url is proof enough that the source is Bbm itself.

If you really want a challenge i got a half decrypted sd card which failed on my z10 to fully decrypt that i need to recover the data from

Posted via CB10
    moody and tHe.iR1sH like this.
    12-09-14 10:42 PM
    I think the apk analysis showing that particular url is proof enough that the source is Bbm itself.

If you really want a challenge i got a half decrypted sd card which failed on my z10 to fully decrypt that i need to recover the data from

Posted via CB10
    I agree but people on here are saying they don't have the issue and I need to see if it's just because they aren't following the steps like I described (or possibly not waiting long enough) or if its something else. Copying my important stuff off now, then going to take a backup and do the wipe
    12-09-14 10:45 PM
    Compuboy just run autoloader much faster than sec wipe

Posted via CB10
    compuboy04 likes this.
    12-09-14 10:56 PM
    Compuboy just run autoloader much faster than sec wipe

Posted via CB10
    I know but doing a full wipe and then a restore from BB link is the only way I can completely remove any doubt
    12-09-14 11:05 PM
    OK everyone I got some results and it's not good....
    Did a complete security wipe and then ran the autoloader for 10.3.1.1151
    Upon first boot I signed in with my BB ID and connected to wifi. I then did updates on all apps. No settings were touched... everything left as default. Within 10 minutes the same issue is back! I have confirmed this bug effects the unfinished 10.3.1 OS. I would like to also note that on this OS version I was running BBM version 10.5.15.15

Major fail here for Blackberry..... I encourage everyone to upvote the issue with BB

Major Battery Killing Bug in BBM - Confirmed proof-mixpanelcapture.jpg

For anyone trying to test this themselves you need to be using a local DNS server and create an A record entry for api.mixpanel.com pointing to an invalid address such as 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1. You then need to connect your Blackberry to the same wifi network that uses this DNS server (and has DHCP pointing to this DNS server). If you don't understand what this means or cannot perform this, it's NOT a valid test of this issue!

DNS reply should look like this:
    Major Battery Killing Bug in BBM - Confirmed proof-mixpaneldns.jpg
    Last edited by compuboy04; 12-10-14 at 12:33 AM. Reason: bolded some text
    boilerkim, moody, mrfreeze and 1 others like this.
    12-09-14 11:50 PM
    Do you understand what I did with dns adblock? Your running your own dns on wifi right? Did you use bbm for a few hours? If so I will bite the bullet and wipe my phone like described above
    I don't run my own DNS server on WiFi... so I am unlikely to see this issue.
    12-10-14 01:54 AM
    Now I am a little curious what data is "successfully" transmitted from BBM to mixpanel.com...
    moody likes this.
    12-10-14 02:18 AM
    I'm curious to how many of us are unknowingly transmitting to this api? How do I check my own device? I have BBM 10.5.15.15 on Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.1154

I am.... Mrs Peevishlicious
    12-10-14 06:22 AM
    Outside of using a dns adblock there is no issue, correct? Or should we be concerned about this api.mixpanel?

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 07:30 AM
141 12345 ...