What is the difference between LTE and 4G? I have always thought that those two were the same, but there is an option to pick the different networks options. My 4g signal is better than my LTE signal, so I am hoping it will cut down on battery drain.

Posted w/ BlackBerry Classic
    09-05-16 03:36 PM
    Totally different. 4G (HSPA) is a completely different technology from LTE, and is MUCH slower.
    09-05-16 03:50 PM
    What is the difference between LTE and 4G? I have always thought that those two were the same, but there is an option to pick the different networks options. My 4g signal is better than my LTE signal, so I am hoping it will cut down on battery drain.

Here is a pretty good summary.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

The key sentence is "Two 4G candidate systems are commercially deployed: the Mobile WiMAX standard (first used in South Korea in 2007), and the first-release Long Term Evolution (LTE) standard (in Oslo, Norway, and Stockholm, Sweden since 2009)."

LTE = VHS
    WiMAX = BetaMax

Accurate enough except I do not claim that WiMAX is a better technology than LTE, just the LTE won the competition for dominance.
    As for Battery life, can't say.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 09-05-16 at 05:28 PM.
    09-05-16 03:54 PM
    Thanks for the info and article. I'll monitor it for a few days; hopefully I'll see some improvement.

09-05-16 05:18 PM
    Thanks for the info and article. I'll monitor it for a few days; hopefully I'll see some improvement.

Let us know what you find!

Posted via CB10
    09-05-16 09:16 PM
    If your 4G signal is significantly stronger than LTE then I would think that you'd have better results staying on 4G. That would reduce (1) how much time the phone spends looking for stronger cells and (2) the amount of power the phone uses to communicate with the network. Yes, your data speeds would go down, everything else being equal, but if your LTE coverage is lousy it won't be particularly fast anyways. That being said, how your carrier has configured their network will impact your results, so really the only way to know for sure is to try it out. I'd be curious to see the results.

LTE is a major modification of the cellular system intended to improve efficiency, latency, and throughput over 4G HSPA. WiMAX was never really relevant from a phone perspective (IIRC interoperability with HSPA and older techs was an issue), and no BBs support it. If you're curious beyond what Wikipedia has to offer and have lots of time on your hands, the specifications for LTE and HSPA are all available online.
    09-06-16 11:58 PM
    It also depends on where you are and how your carrier defines 4G and LTE.

Here in the U.S., going back about 6 years ago, T-Mobile went against the previously established standard and called their HSPA+ network (which is only an internally upgraded regular 3G UMTS network) "4G", to get the marketing upper hand.

"Hey, we are the first to offer "4G" in the U.S."

We all called it "FauxG" since it wasn't real 4G.

AT&T had the chance to call T-Mobile out on the false advertising. Instead, they chose to play along. AT&T had upgraded their 3G UMTS network to HSPA+, and had it for a while, but never said anything about it until T-Mobile did their thing. AT&T just jumped on the bandwagon and said: "Hey, we've had "4G" for a while and it's much further along". Well, of course. Because they've had their 3G network in more areas longer.

The rest of the world wasn't playing along with that. When LTE expanded in Europe and the rest of the world, all those carriers indicated it with "4G" - which really was 4G... for a while.

The ITU (the communications standards governing body) originally intended 4G to be a real "next generation" system. HSPA+ was not. It was only an extension of the existing 3G UMTS system (with "advanced back haul" as AT&T puts it). They were in a position to embarrass AT&T and T-Mobile. The standard was also loosely based on speed, and HSPA+ didn't meet the standard for 4G (though, technically, neither did the initial LTE implementation). The ITU could have cemented the standard and put an end to the confusing nomenclature. "4G" was slightly faster 3G in the U.S. "4G" was LTE in the rest of the world. All of that could have been fully standardized.

But, the ITU wavered. They buckled. They wimped out.

They eventually impaled themselves and said "4G" can include HSPA+.

Of course, once the U.S. got LTE, how were the carriers supposed to differentiate since they were already using the "4G" term? Well, they marketed it as "4G-LTE", and just used "LTE" as the phone's network type.

The confusion continued as the same nomenclature remained for different technologies around the globe. In the U.S., HSPA+ was called "4G". In the rest of the world, it was called "H+". In the U.S., LTE is "LTE", while the rest of the world called it "4G".

For our phones, that means the network type grouping will be different depending on where you are. If course, if you have an AT&T BB10 phone, the network type is locked to LTE only, and have no choice if you want to drop your type down to 2G/3G. At least not without making changes in the engineering screen (which only reverts back to the default if you re-boot the phone).

Now, I'm not sure how the different networks are labeled these days around the world outside the U.S.. Is LTE still listed as "4G", or is "LTE" creeping in? And I can't remember how the Canadian carriers listed the different network types.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz and Heavens1 like this.
    09-08-16 11:58 AM
    Thanks for all this info guys. I've been reading up on a lot of this. The whole thing with the "fake" 4G seemed complicated and confusing me from the different sources I looked at, so that breakdown was helpful. My Dutch friend was telling me about about H+ and 4g, and though I assumed he was talking about HSPA+, now I know for sure.

As for battery consumption, I've been away from home for the past couple days, so I'm not sure yet. I do think it may be better since I had 3 bars of 4G and only 1 of LTE. More on that when I get back into my regular schedule.

09-08-16 02:12 PM