08-05-15 02:17 AM
190 1234 ...
tools
    Well, sorry to call you out here, but since you left yourself open:
    How often are you actually dialing a number? I realize this is not the point but it is certainly valid in determining how big of an 'issue' this is to you compared to most people. I will go so far as to say that 98% of the time, I am either calling a number from my contacts or from my recent calls which means not using the number pad MOST of the time. Even when calling a new number, it's usually either a clickable link on a website or from a message and, even still, only requires a long press on the phone number and then select the option to call.
    Just how often are you dialing numbers manually?
    Quite often for it to annoy me.

The main issue however is that my phone line is a prepaid and I'm constantly filling up credit and in order to do so, here's what I actually have to type out every time I have to add credit:

*xxx*xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*xxxxxxxxxx#

These above are all dials that I must do every time I need to recharge and I do it quite often. While I only switched to post paid yesterday it's still quite a bit that I dial from the dial pad. Sitting in front of my computer, search for a client's/colleague's number through outlook/business cards and proceed to pound out the numbers. Also, I use the 'dial-call-end' scenario to store any number that I may need to remember temporarily and it doesn't have to be an actual phone number.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 04:01 PM
    How did you survive in the old days with landlines and dial tones that couldn't be turned off?

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-04-15 04:01 PM
    Yes this is an annoying feature. Fixing these little things would enhance the maturity of the UX. And IMO, these fixes should not take too many man hours.

If Blackberry is trying to minimize the user interface points on the device, they could always allow such customizations through its desktop software Link, for advanced users.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 04:40 PM
    How did you survive in the old days with landlines and dial tones that couldn't be turned off?

Posted via CB10
    They rang in your ears... not in public for everyone to hear that hey I am making a call...

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 04:46 PM
    i agree. there should be very simple toggle in the phone settings for the dialpad tone on or off, default off on silent profiles.

how hard can it be?

and yes - it's annoying and I hate it. even I use it on rear occasions.

this is not a childish. this is just plain stupid
    07-04-15 04:52 PM
    Quite often for it to annoy me.

The main issue however is that my phone line is a prepaid and I'm constantly filling up credit and in order to do so, here's what I actually have to type out every time I have to add credit:

*xxx*xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*xxxxxxxxxx#

These above are all dials that I must do every time I need to recharge and I do it quite often. While I only switched to post paid yesterday it's still quite a bit that I dial from the dial pad. Sitting in front of my computer, search for a client's/colleague's number through outlook/business cards and proceed to pound out the numbers. Also, I use the 'dial-call-end' scenario to store any number that I may need to remember temporarily and it doesn't have to be an actual phone number.

Posted via CB10
    OK. Thanks for explaining.

And I do agree, there should be an option for it. The OS is getting there and little details such as these are features that get added along the way. I have the same issue with the 'feedback' on the virtual keys sometimes. Only for me, and for other users similarly to this 'dial tone' dilemma, sometimes we want the tones, and sometimes we don't. The Quick Settings really do make it easy to turn the sound on and off (you can even do this in the middle of a call thanks to the "new" feature added of opening quick settings while in an app). It's not as customizable as it could be, but it's not the end of the world, or even all that difficult to work around, as it is currently.
    07-04-15 05:04 PM
    They rang in your ears... not in public for everyone to hear that hey I am making a call...

Posted via CB10
    So this is driving you absolutely mad or other people?

Umm, they'll hear you making the phone call because you're having the phone call. The key word here, public.

Can't you dial that long number as a speed dial?
    07-04-15 05:11 PM
    I'm curious - those of you that prefer no dial tone are already aware the tones can be silenced with a downward swipe and a tap of the notifications icon? And despite this, the dial tones are an issue? Or is it that the toggle doesn't work for you at all?
    howards likes this.
    07-04-15 05:50 PM
    Absolutely there should be a toggle switch to mute the tone. It sounds easy to do.

I find it very annoying as well op, you are not alone.

Via CB10, Passport 10.3.2.2204
    Vector-SS and kbz1960 like this.
    07-04-15 06:32 PM
    I'm curious - those of you that prefer no dial tone are already aware the tones can be silenced with a downward swipe and a tap of the notifications icon? And despite this, the dial tones are an issue? Or is it that the toggle doesn't work for you at all?
    We want to be able to have the tone turned off without having to turn the "silent" profile on.

In other words, your post shows us how to silence all the phone notifications and tones but we just want to mute the dial pad tone.

Via CB10, Passport 10.3.2.2204
    07-04-15 06:37 PM
    Yup this the "workaround" Not ideal but it works
    It works . . .

For The Love of God - Remove the Dial pad tone!-img_20150705_092209.png

For The Love of God - Remove the Dial pad tone!-img_20150705_092018.png

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 07:27 PM
    So this is driving you absolutely mad or other people?

Umm, they'll hear you making the phone call because you're having the phone call. The key word here, public.

Can't you dial that long number as a speed dial?
    No. Each prepaid recharge card has a different code.
    07-04-15 08:02 PM
    The version att released 10.3.2 xxxx

Posted via cb10 Www.youtube.com/spookyentertainment
    I'm on 10.3.2.798 (unlocked device) and I have no such option. I guess the only temporary solution here is to create a new profile and override whatever I would like to hear as a notification until BlackBerry gives us the toggle to choose because I sometimes tend to forget to un silence my phone after having silenced it to use the dial pad.
    07-05-15 12:58 AM
    How dare you speak of such atrocity?

Seriously bud, the dial tone is a classic.

Posted from Neverland!
    07-05-15 02:02 AM
    Chuckle, holding down 'Q' for one second on the homescreen and then entering the phone app to dial is impossible to do in a crowded elevator?

Also, what happens when you start talking to your call in the same crowded elevator? Do you whisper or put the call on mute so you don't bother everyone else? Lol

This has about the same level of importance as the camera shutter click that got people so worked up in the past.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    07-05-15 09:59 AM
    Wow OP.

First world problems indeed.

Preferences vs issues. Someone needs to explain the difference "for the love of God"

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    howards and surgeon1919 like this.
    07-05-15 12:02 PM
    When the OP starts with:

"It takes a lot for me to get irritated but ..."

and this is what pushes him over the edge, how seriously can this be taken?

And let's not forget "The Great Call Answer Swipe Calamity of 2014." I think they're still counting the casualties from that one.

Hundreds of posts about a minor preference do not make it an important issue.
    07-05-15 12:05 PM
    Um, don't have it on speaker when dialling? Seems simple enough to me.
    07-05-15 12:10 PM
    This is the type of suggestion that you'd really want to send to BlackBerry. It's something so trivial that 90% of users and probably all of their OS devs wouldn't think to care about, but clearly a few would like the option and it's probably very simple to add it.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 12:51 PM
    I agree that it's annoying to hear a loud key tone while you're punching in a number and you haven't even connected yet. I could deal with the same feedback tone as the keyboard, but holy crap... nothing like announcing to the entire office "Hey, I'm making a phone call over here!" Ideally, I'd like the option for a small vibration feedback, but I'd settle for the ability to just turn it off. For all those who say "just hold Q", I shouldn't have to (and I can't because I don't have a PKB). BB10 is the ONLY smartphone I've ever used that has this behavior
    07-05-15 12:59 PM
    This is one of the very few things about BB10 which I hate.

I assume the best solution is to create a contact with the number you want to dial, and then make the call from the contacts app.

Maybe BlackBerry will release a "mute the dial pad" paid subscription feature, who knows?

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 01:40 PM
    Yeah know what you mean, but for now the only fix is hold down the 'Q' key till the phone goes into Silent mode, then dial.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680 Q10SQN100-5/10.3.1.2576 Posted via CB
    Doesn't bother me but this is great when you need it,thanks
    07-05-15 01:48 PM
    For those of you who are not bothered with this issue, then please feel free to leave this thread.
    "Stop liking what I don't like!"

Good luck controlling people posting in an open forum, fella.

Richard
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-05-15 02:55 PM
    While I get a real kick outa these kind of threads.... It's also scary at the same time.
    To think something as ridiculous as a dial tone has put you "on the edge,"

I can only suggest that when you grow up and have to deal with REAL problems, like "Life" find a job where you don't have to work with anything living!

We're talking about a little handheld mobile device that, while it's very convenient , is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
    "In my opinion" it's never too early to get therapy

(I'm Jewish so it's a requirement to have a therapist!)

For those of you who are not bothered with this issue, then please feel free to leave this thread.
    OK, sorry to make fun of all the whining !!!
    Carry on children!
    07-05-15 04:30 PM
    Again while I thank those that offered suggestions on how to avoid this, and while it works, I'm not really supposed to be doing that to mute the keypad.

Similarly to how I'm not supposed to reload the OS so my phone can be smooth again and just like not having to hold the focus button to be able to possibly get a photo while sitting in a car while BlackBerry's own Q10 can do a simple snap, but that's a different story altogether.

And yes this stuff irritates me because as mentioned above this is something SO simple to add yet BlackBerry fails to acknowledge despite numerous posts about it. Surely someone testing BlackBerry's along the way must have made a comment about it.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 04:42 PM
190 1234 ...