Um, don't have it on speaker when dialling? Seems simple enough to me.
    Launch the phone app and start dialing and it has nothing to do with the speaker being on or not.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    07-05-15 04:44 PM
    Launch the phone app and start dialing and it has nothing to do with the speaker being on or not.

Posted via CB10
    Didn't know that, I barely use the phone and when I do it's mostly answering calls. Most communication I do is via text, email and BBM. But if it does happen without the speaker then I've not noticed it, surely it can't be that annoying?
    07-05-15 05:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think he meant connect headset so its not going out speakers.
    07-05-15 05:00 PM
    I think he meant connect headset so its not going out speakers.
    Actually, you're sort of correct. I only use the phone using a headset.
    07-05-15 05:04 PM
    The thread title is very apt for some of us. Being annoyed at them is judgemental outpour.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 06:40 PM
    Your kidding right? Oooooomigawd of all things. Next you will be ******** that BlackBerry is contributing to Global Warming or Cancer...

Go back to your Apple Forums.

Lovingly created by my Z30
    07-05-15 06:46 PM
    Childish might be a bit over the top but yes it is embarrassing when I'm pounding on the dial pad in an elevator with multiple people around me all standing silently and someone throws a comment such as a 'dial tone really? ' (of course in a joking manner). The dial tone is anything but low!
    I hate when people decide to make a phone call while on a crowded elevator.
    But yes, the option to silence such a feature is always nice.
    07-05-15 07:42 PM
    I hate when people decide to make a phone call while on a crowded elevator.
    But yes, the option to silence such a feature is always nice.

NO ONE needs to be on the phone THAT much.
    Carjackd likes this.
    07-05-15 08:03 PM
    Your kidding right? Oooooomigawd of all things. Next you will be ******** that BlackBerry is contributing to Global Warming or Cancer...

Global Warming and Cancer?
    I knew they were up to something.I just KNEW it!
    I mean, so what if BB10 is still a very new OS system.. The nerve of BlackBerry not to get it right in such a short time.

I'll bet most of you whiners have never used a dial phone or even know what a public coin phone looks like.

But There's your answer, OP!
    BlackBerry has been too busy to work on everyone's issues.

So, in the meantime, why not just ENJOY all the good things on your mobile device and over look the few minor irritations.

07-05-15 08:17 PM
    Obviously not many talk on their phones these days as many are not using the dial pad and that nuisance tone it makes is not a bother for most people. People prefer to play with their phones instead, that part I understand. But then again without that irritating dial tone, no one will know Blackberry is still around, yes it is backward but you don't have a choice really.
    07-05-15 10:10 PM
    Actually, I'm on my phone (voice calls) a good part of the day, but I very rarely dial from the pad. As someone else said, I generally dial from my phone book, or from a phone # link.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 10:17 PM
    If I see a number I need to call to make an inquiry, I simply dial it. And I don't add that number to my contacts just to create an "impressive" list. I don't swipe my phone to act real busy or look important to hunt for that phone number that is right in front of me. I still have to put up with that irritating dial tone and call that number. But like some before me already said, I created a notification profile to mask this tone, at least until Blackberry fix this very simple thing.
    07-05-15 10:37 PM
    Obviously not many talk on their phones these days as many are not using the dial pad and that nuisance tone it makes is not a bother for most people. People prefer to play with their phones instead, that part I understand. But then again without that irritating dial tone, no one will know Blackberry is still around, yes it is backward but you don't have a choice really.
    Actually, consumers do have a choice. The dial tone sound wasn't high on my list of things I disliked about BB10, but it was definitely on it. That annoying sound was also one reason the Z10 was never on one of my main lines, as every other major mobile OS gives the user the option to silence the dial tones, an option that I always take.
    07-05-15 10:58 PM
    One could also type the name using the keypad and you will get the names filtered out quickly and will be displayed through the drop down arrow.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 11:00 PM
    This is one of the stupidest threads I've ever seen.

Not because of the thread title or the original post, but because of the reaction of many posters to it.

I agree 100% with the OP. This is such a basic, essential feature which should have been on every "smartphone" going back years.

It is just plain idiotic that BlackBerry did not include this simple option from the start of BB10.

I find it absolutely stunning that anyone would defend such a basic error by BB. Clearly the OP posted this at a moment of exasperation - and I understand why they're in that state if they're having to do a lot of dialing with a ridiculous keypad which you cannot silence. Workarounds are all very well (and once again demonstrate the persistence and helpfulness of Crackberrians) but BB really, at this stage, need to A) Include basic features that anyone could reasonably expect to be on an expensive smartphone,
    and B) Stop pissing off loyal customers who actually want BB to succeed.

And as for all of you people out there taking a pop at the OP - come back to Planet Earth please.

Just to save anyone tempted to respond by galloping on their horse even further towards the illogical horizon, I will not be posting further on this thread, which, after the first post, increasingly becomes a contender for "Thread Which Most Demonstrates Just How Much BS Consumers Will Accept From Companies Not Doing Basic Things Correctly".
    07-06-15 05:09 AM
    For those of you who are not bothered with this issue, then please feel free to leave this thread. I understand it's an open forum and an open discussion but I have an issue with it and as it appears several other members have an issue with it as well. Again it might not be an issue for you but having to silence my phone so I can dial numbers peacefully and then un silence my phone so I can hear my phone ring IS an issue for me.

Childish might be a bit over the top but yes it is embarrassing when I'm pounding on the dial pad in an elevator with multiple people around me all standing silently and someone throws a comment such as a 'dial tone really? ' (of course in a joking manner). The dial tone is anything but low!

I also prefer to not tell them that 'BlackBerry decided to not give us the basic option to remove the dial pad tone' and add to BlackBerry's already tarnished image.

Posted via CB10
    This is an absolute non issue, your post is way over the top, and choose to stay and post in this thread to tell you exactly that. I prefer not to move on, thank you. Get a grip.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 05:34 AM

Not because of the thread title or the original post, but because of the reaction of many posters to it.

I agree 100% with the OP. This is such a basic, essential feature which should have been on every "smartphone" going back years.

It is just plain idiotic that BlackBerry did not include this simple option from the start of BB10.

I find it absolutely stunning that anyone would defend such a basic error by BB. Clearly the OP posted this at a moment of exasperation - and I understand why they're in that state if they're having to do a lot of dialing with a ridiculous keypad which you cannot silence. Workarounds are all very well (and once again demonstrate the persistence and helpfulness of Crackberrians) but BB really, at this stage, need to A) Include basic features that anyone could reasonably expect to be on an expensive smartphone,

And as for all of you people out there taking a pop at the OP - come back to Planet Earth please.

Just to save anyone tempted to respond by galloping on their horse even further towards the illogical horizon, I will not be posting further on this thread, which, after the first post, increasingly becomes a contender for "Thread Which Most Demonstrates Just How Much BS Consumers Will Accept From Companies Not Doing Basic Things Correctly".
    And thank you for this post, as everything you wrote is spot on...even concerning the moment I actually wrote this post.

With that said, I'm done posting in this thread after this as it proves there are multiple people who actually are irritated by this tone and even more so frustrated from BlackBerry's inability to respond to such a simple option.

I must admit though, I did find find it amusing how these type of threads always bring out the BlackBerry Defense Battalion coming to the rescue.

Thanks for the chuckle folks and a genuine thank you for those who offered workarounds.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    07-06-15 08:53 AM

Essential feature?

Amazingly enough, my phone actually works despite the fact it makes a sound when I touch a number on the dial pad.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 12:34 PM
    And thank you for this post, as everything you wrote is spot on...even concerning the moment I actually wrote this post.

With that said, I'm done posting in this thread after this as it proves there are multiple people who actually are irritated by this tone and even more so frustrated from BlackBerry's inability to respond to such a simple option.

I must admit though, I did find find it amusing how these type of threads always bring out the BlackBerry Defense Battalion coming to the rescue.

Thanks for the chuckle folks and a genuine thank you for those who offered workarounds.

Posted via CB10
    A Work-a-round? Why didn't you say so in the first place.

Use a landline phone and a computer for a week .
    You won't be so quick to complain about the few "irritations" on your mobile device after that! (IMO, of course!)

Oh, and just as a foot note.... I'm pretty sure your god had nothing to do with this!

07-06-15 12:38 PM

This is whining/******** thread. There is even a 2 second work around.

Feature requests are made directly with BlackBerry. OP did not indicate that he requested this feature through any Official method. What is BlackBerry supposed to acknowledge? I didn't see a link to the "numerous posts" on BlackBerry site. They might exist, but should be included in OP.

This is the Internet. Someone gives an extreme opinion and people disagree. People are responding accordingly. Given this issue is the first time I'm hearing of it in 2.5 years (I'll skim over topics that don't interest me, but I think I'd check out a thread with tons of views), I think the OP is in the minority of demand of such feature.

I am a QA Manager. When someone adds a feature request to mantis with a well written explanation of what should be changed, why it should be changed, what it impacts and how much effort it will take, it will get assigned. Emotional rants go no where. It was only in post 28 where OP explained he has to enter something like 34 characters instead of the typical 10. That should be posted in the OP, not post 28 after everyone is wtf because he is a corner case, not typical.

Our mantis database includes TONS of stuff, big and small, new and old. There are entries to add simple aliases to make commands more powerful and shorter. There are entries to change wording. The thing is, they need to be assigned to someone, tested by someone, and then documented. So things are prioritized and assigned accordingly. Crashes and showstoppers trump everything. Revenue generating features are next. Little things might be worked on the day before a developer takes vacation rather than taking on a new bug/feature that takes time. They'll get fit in where time allows, or when it affects a developer who just goes and fixes it themselves if it was really that trivial.

So I think the appropriate place would be to comment on the feature request on BlackBerry forums/beta app so that BlackBerry can better understand the severity and impact and prioritize accordingly.

Links to the feature request, please. Then it can be commented up and you'll probably see action on it. Don't whine about it here without referencing the feature request with BlackBerry or you'll get little sympathy from CB members, as you can see.
    anon(9169048) and howards like this.
    07-06-15 05:10 PM
    My issue would be when typing in codes, or recharging the phone via credit card, etc., this could be seen as a (potential) privacy issue, data leak or exposure to a low-tech hack... *

That would be MY issue with it. But we have the workaround of temporarily silencing the phone. :-)

(*all it needs is someone to record it with his/her own phone, and play it back or run it through some utility software, there goes your credit card number, validity date and CCV security code)

�   Chendroid or not? - QNoX powered ftw...?   �
    Bishkin likes this.
    07-06-15 05:20 PM

Even if the OP is right, the level of importance to which he raises his complaint is absurd and unwarranted. That is the issue.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 07:02 PM
    To silence the Dial Pad tone I just go to Settings - Notifications - Manually Select the Profile I am Going to Use from the 'Profiles' header and then slide the sound OFF under the subheader 'App Exceptions'... No annoying tones when I use the dial pad... I edited all my profiles to reflect such...

For The Love of God - Remove the Dial pad tone!-img_20150706_201832.png

Posted via CB10
    anon(3732391) and BCITMike like this.
    07-06-15 07:21 PM
    Even if the OP is right, the level of importance to which he raises his complaint is absurd and unwarranted. That is the issue.
    Sure, let's just buried it somewhere or simply sweep it under the carpet. We all only want to hear good things about Blackberry.
    passport1 likes this.
    07-06-15 08:38 PM
    This is the Internet. Someone gives an extreme opinion and people disagree. People are responding accordingly. Given this issue is the first time I'm hearing of it in 2.5 years (I'll skim over topics that don't interest me, but I think I'd check out a thread with tons of views), I think the OP is in the minority of demand of such feature.
    Spoken with authority. 2.5 years and this is the first time you hear about this, BB10 must be perfect since day 1 then. How do you know OP is in the minority, other than something that you magically manufactured.

I am a QA Manager. When someone adds a feature request to mantis with a well written explanation of what should be changed, why it should be changed, what it impacts and how much effort it will take, it will get assigned. Emotional rants go no where. It was only in post 28 where OP explained he has to enter something like 34 characters instead of the typical 10. That should be posted in the OP, not post 28 after everyone is wtf because he is a corner case, not typical.

So I think the appropriate place would be to comment on the feature request on BlackBerry forums/beta app so that BlackBerry can better understand the severity and impact and prioritize accordingly.

Links to the feature request, please. Then it can be commented up and you'll probably see action on it. Don't whine about it here without referencing the feature request with BlackBerry or you'll get little sympathy from CB members, as you can see.
    More than a year ago, there was this bug of text correction brought up by another forumer. I added to those postings. And you know what, someone did ask me to spec out that problem for him otherwise he won't consider that a bug (who the hell is he anyway?). I did and pointed out I made that in an earlier post and of course he did not want to read about that. And then he ask for test results and some of us posted that for him. You know what is the next thing he ask for as part of his denial of the bug, he ask for a VIDEO.

You been a QA Manager, I sure can understand why you want to kick the can further down the road. Some people are just not interested in problems that concerned others, but that is fine with me.
    passport1 likes this.
    07-06-15 09:03 PM
190 12345 ...