I rely heavily on GPS navigation, as I'm directionally challenged.. and I've noticed every time I've used the Blackberry Maps it seems to lose my GPS signal and then I'm left without voice guidance or updated turn-by-turn navigation. It seems to do this both when trying to start the navigation for a route or while en route at any given time and for any extended period of time. It's quite frustrating and can be also very nerve-racking when driving in unfamiliar places and on a time schedule. So has anyone else experienced this??? Any solutions??

+-keystroke queen-+
    08-21-14 02:59 AM
    What model is your phone? Where do you put it when you are navigating?

One reason it may falter at the start is most applications use hybrid location data, the phone starts with cell site or wi-fi location. This is pretty course but it is fast. If you start moving before the GPS is fully started it can cause erratic position information and confuse the navigation system.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 05:12 AM
    What model is your phone? Where do you put it when you are navigating?

One reason it may falter at the start is most applications use hybrid location data, the phone starts with cell site or wi-fi location. This is pretty course but it is fast. If you start moving before the GPS is fully started it can cause erratic position information and confuse the navigation system.

Posted via CB10
    I have model number SQN100-1 running software release 10.2.1.2179

+-keystroke queen-+
    08-22-14 06:58 AM
    There's like a cubbie shelf right below my radio and AC controls, sort of in front of my gear shift and parking break.. and that's usually where I set my phone while driving although it sometimes migrates to my lap

+-keystroke queen-+
    08-22-14 07:00 AM
    It may be that the shelf has too much electronic noise for the GPS. I have a similar place in my car. My old Garmin GPS can't hold a signal there for very long. My Z10 does OK, but I'm mostly in rural or suburban areas. It sounds like you could be driving in a more urban setting. Tall buildings and overpasses make life tough for GPSs. The shelf might be too much in that case.

If I'm using the GPS in my Z10 I tend to put it in a cup holder behind the shift leaver and parking brake. It seems to do well there. Be careful not to spill coffee on it.

If you want, I have written a tool that may help you find a good spot. It shows all the data on GPS signal quality as it is being received. You can get it from BlackBerry World free. You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/128442

Just promise not to stare at it when driving.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 06:36 PM
    It may be that the shelf has too much electronic noise for the GPS. I have a similar place in my car. My old Garmin GPS can't hold a signal there for very long. My Z10 does OK, but I'm mostly in rural or suburban areas. It sounds like you could be driving in a more urban setting. Tall buildings and overpasses make life tough for GPSs. The shelf might be too much in that case.

If I'm using the GPS in my Z10 I tend to put it in a cup holder behind the shift leaver and parking brake. It seems to do well there. Be careful not to spill coffee on it.

If you want, I have written a tool that may help you find a good spot. It shows all the data on GPS signal quality as it is being received. You can get it from BlackBerry World free. You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/128442

Just promise not to stare at it when driving.

Posted via CB10
    Cool! Thanks so much!

+-keystroke queen-+
    08-22-14 09:05 PM