I would also like to know what you consider long boot time. Mine boots in 2 mins or less which is acceptable to me

STL-4. 10.3.0.1130
    09-16-14 11:42 AM
    You guys are ridiculous! Just because you haven't rebooted your phone in x amount of months doesn't mean the OP should be OK with long boot times. My phone would freeze up while using maps on a clean OS (no leaks) and I'd have to wait up to 5 minutes to use maps again. I'm not knocking blackberry for having it this way but the way you guys "ganged up" on the OP was wack.

Posted via CB10
    Should the OP be OK with an insecure OS that can be rooted? You can either have a fast bootup that leaves your phone vulnerable or a slow boot that checks the integrity of your phones and keeps it secure. I think that is why he is getting grief. He wants his BB10 device to be hackable.
    09-16-14 12:15 PM
    OP, are you using a password on the SIM? There was a boot issue with that.

Otherwise, I think my Z30 boots in less than a minute. It's been surprisingly fast and I can't wait to see if it gets faster with 10.3

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 12:25 PM
    I hardly ever reboot my phone and don't mind the reboot time when I do. The larger issue seems to me to be the problems occuring with the OP's phone and why the are happening and not the reboot time. I am many others haven't had those kinds of problems so its probably not normal.
    09-16-14 12:42 PM
    Just saying, none of the mobile OSes are designed for you to be restarted or shut off at all. They're designed to be left on standby the whole time.
    09-16-14 02:22 PM
    Should the OP be OK with an insecure OS that can be rooted? You can either have a fast bootup that leaves your phone vulnerable or a slow boot that checks the integrity of your phones and keeps it secure. I think that is why he is getting grief. He wants his BB10 device to be hackable.
    "He wants his BB10 device to be hackable".....
    Emphasis on the "his" part. It is not your device nor mine so what difference does it make whether it secure or not when he is accepting of that fact?? He was a little frustrated and asked why boot times took so long on our platform as opposes to others and instead of simply answering the question every one decided to give him grief about it like high schoolers. Reread some of these responses and you tell me I'm not on point. Like I stayed earlier sometimes it can be frustrating when you need to reboot when you really need your phone but I understand why and I'm okay with that.

Posted via CB10
    swapnilsj likes this.
    09-16-14 05:32 PM
    Wait a minute! I never said I want hackable phone...please reread. I'm just frustrated with the number of times I have to reboot my phone. And gets even worse when I needed it greatly. And rebooting just take lot of juice out of battery...
    I have experienced above listed issues on my phone: securely erased and OS reloaded. I have reloaded OS thrice and these issues have kept on showing up...now I'm not sure if this is a problem with my Z10 model (stl1)...as some of you are using z30 with very less time of reboot!!

Does anyone know the root cause of these issues? I hate android apps on BlackBerry so have very less number of android apps.

------ On Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    09-16-14 10:55 PM
    OP, get a Z30. Boots much faster.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.3
    09-16-14 11:16 PM
    Time to load the 10.3 OS.
    How fast is it?

I'm on Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2228(myver) and it takes around 2-3 min.

Visit GTR Lifestyle @ C001247FA
    09-16-14 11:58 PM
    How about we get some context first about the OP's issue. What's loooooong?

Posted from my super duper Z30!
    09-17-14 12:59 AM
    The reason why I am happy with BlackBerry (PlayBook and 10) OS boot times is once it is done it is fully usable. Other operating systems (Windows and Android to name two) can boot quickly, but then once you are at the home screen you have to wait another minute or two (if not more) until it is responsive. Ultimately it is a choice between showing the home screen once everything has loaded or showing it before the OS is fully loaded to appear to be faster.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 01:40 AM
    I observed that the time my device takes for booting goes up with the number of media files on your device. I have an additional card in my q10 full of music, and without it my device comes up pretty fast. Still wondering though why all this checking and indexing needs to be done in foreground...

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    09-17-14 01:48 AM
    Why does BlackBerry OSes have so slow boot sw? It takes ages to boot my Z10 once restarted! Earlier BlackBerry Torch would also take hell lot of time ...why can't BlackBerry implement faster boot sw with small footprint????

Posted via CB10
    If you have a to enter a security pin for your sim on startup then that doubles loading time

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    09-17-14 01:59 AM
    I reboot my phone daily because I do the battery swap on my Z10. It does take a while to come back connected to my cellular server etc.

I've always wondered why does the BlackBerry logo go to 100% when in fact it takes another minute if not longer for my cell to be functional again. Should 100% not be ready to use?? Not a huge biggie but something that is strange, to me at least.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    swapnilsj likes this.
    09-17-14 09:58 AM
    The reason why I am happy with BlackBerry (PlayBook and 10) OS boot times is once it is done it is fully usable. Other operating systems (Windows and Android to name two) can boot quickly, but then once you are at the home screen you have to wait another minute or two (if not more) until it is responsive. Ultimately it is a choice between showing the home screen once everything has loaded or showing it before the OS is fully loaded to appear to be faster.

Posted via CB10
    That's not true...even BlackBerry takes some time to settle up hub and other settings. it doesn't allow me to place a call immediately after boot. Hub takes some time to refresh after boot.

09-17-14 10:39 AM
    If you have a to enter a security pin for your sim on startup then that doubles loading time

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    No such thing required for my phone...

09-17-14 10:40 AM
    Wait a minute! I never said I want hackable phone...please reread. I'm just frustrated with the number of times I have to reboot my phone. And gets even worse when I needed it greatly. And rebooting just take lot of juice out of battery...
    I have experienced above listed issues on my phone: securely erased and OS reloaded. I have reloaded OS thrice and these issues have kept on showing up...now I'm not sure if this is a problem with my Z10 model (stl1)...as some of you are using z30 with very less time of reboot!!

Does anyone know the root cause of these issues? I hate android apps on BlackBerry so have very less number of android apps.

I honestly don't think you understand the difference between BB10 and an iPhone, and iPhone doesn't really shut down like a Blackberry does when you "turn it off," it goes into standby, so it "turns on" quicker. If you actually do a reset on an iPhone, like our reboot, it takes just as long, sometimes longer. My wife's S4 also takes a while to reboot, if you are truly doing a reboot and not just turning it on.
    09-17-14 10:55 AM
    To be fair, the OP raises a legitimate question - could boot time be significantly reduced?

It's a documented fact that of the "rated" internal storage capacity of a smartphone, BB10 takes up the most space vs Android and iOS (7, at least) - which suggests there is a lot more "going on" behind the scenes in BB10. That means there is more to be loaded for the OS to operate. Period.

That said are a number of ways to improve the situation - I have no idea if BlackBerry is, or even could be, doing some of these or not.

1) Remove certain items from boot-up, do them later.

Remember the 10.1 hub boot delay? After the phone booted, the hub took several seconds to boot. Later updates changed how the hub indexed itself, so now it's faster. Maybe other components could benefit from the same treatment? I do, however, suspect some of the hub loading happens during boot up, since the phone will make notification sounds occasionally near the end of the boot screen sequence.

2) Store system files sequentially according to boot order.

3) Store system files in a separate flash storage chip that is faster than the general on board storage.

4) Eliminate unnecessary system files. BB10 carries input language files for pretty much every major language on earth, regardless of where the phone is activated, purchased, used, whatever. Ditto voice recognition files for dictation. Maybe after some amount of usage, the user could go into a "system optimization" utility, that analyzes what files have been accessed over the device's history, then give the option to delete any that haven't been used.

Just a few random thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CarbonKevin; 09-17-14 at 12:20 PM.
    swapnilsj likes this.
    09-17-14 12:10 PM
    "He wants his BB10 device to be hackable".....
    Emphasis on the "his" part. It is not your device nor mine so what difference does it make whether it secure or not when he is accepting of that fact?? He was a little frustrated and asked why boot times took so long on our platform as opposes to others and instead of simply answering the question every one decided to give him grief about it like high schoolers. Reread some of these responses and you tell me I'm not on point. Like I stayed earlier sometimes it can be frustrating when you need to reboot when you really need your phone but I understand why and I'm okay with that.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, post number 5 explained why it took so long. He didn't like the answer and wanted a fast boot option along with a slow one. That would only allow for a rootable phone.
    09-17-14 12:44 PM

That is about reasons why you reboot your phone, yet your post was about how long it took. Most people never have the problems you have and hardly ever reboot the phone. Sorry for your problems, but long boot times are required to check the integrity of the phone's OS.
    09-17-14 12:47 PM
    To be fair, the OP raises a legitimate question - could boot time be significantly reduced?

It's a documented fact that of the "rated" internal storage capacity of a smartphone, BB10 takes up the most space vs Android and iOS (7, at least) - which suggests there is a lot more "going on" behind the scenes in BB10. That means there is more to be loaded for the OS to operate. Period.

That said are a number of ways to improve the situation - I have no idea if BlackBerry is, or even could be, doing some of these or not.

1) Remove certain items from boot-up, do them later.

Remember the 10.1 hub boot delay? After the phone booted, the hub took several seconds to boot. Later updates changed how the hub indexed itself, so now it's faster. Maybe other components could benefit from the same treatment? I do, however, suspect some of the hub loading happens during boot up, since the phone will make notification sounds occasionally near the end of the boot screen sequence.

2) Store system files sequentially according to boot order.

3) Store system files in a separate flash storage chip that is faster than the general on board storage.

4) Eliminate unnecessary system files. BB10 carries input language files for pretty much every major language on earth, regardless of where the phone is activated, purchased, used, whatever. Ditto voice recognition files for dictation. Maybe after some amount of usage, the user could go into a "system optimization" utility, that analyzes what files have been accessed over the device's history, then give the option to delete any that haven't been used.

Just a few random thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    The big this is that each file needs to be checked (checksum) to make sure it is of the size and contents of what it should be. This takes time to read each and every OS file.
    09-17-14 12:50 PM
    Has the OP ever stated just how long the phone actually takes to reboot?

Mine takes about 1:45 from screen-off to up-and-running, ready to make a phone call.

Compare that to my old OS 6 Torch 9800. It would take all of 4 whole minutes to boot up.

That, I consider to be a long time.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 01:51 PM
    Has the OP ever stated just how long the phone actually takes to reboot?

Posted via CB10
    No they haven't, which is why I asked. Reset an iPhone and see how long it takes. They all take time, BB10 just does it every time it is shut down.
    09-18-14 03:50 AM
    Ok. It takes 3-4 min for my phone from powering up till usable condition.

09-18-14 04:08 AM
    Ok. It takes 3-4 min for my phone from powering up till usable condition.

You can't rush the Hub

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 04:10 AM
64 123