Hello everyone

Being away at the moment on holiday, I'm 100% on LTE all day. So I decided to do a little experiment.

1) I ran an iPhone 6 plus for 2 days and went through my daily routine. The battery was great but what really got me is that I used 700mb of data in 48 hours.

2) I picked up my trusty z30 that I carry around all the time and inserted my smicard in using an adapter. I used the phone for.2 days doing about the same thing and even a little more. Amazingly I only used 189 mb of data.

It's not the first time I notice a discrepancy on data usage between the BlackBerry and the iPhone. I quickly looked over some.of my employees that have switched between the 2 phones recently and there's a definitive increase when they're on ios.

Either BlackBerry is amazing at managing its data or ios has a big big issues at doing so! Anyways, just thought I'd share the story. I will always make sure I use the BlackBerry on the road for now on!

Ps: for the ios haters, I use the phone I need based on which project I'm working on and the clients requirements. Sorry ,but ios is still a huge part of the market that need to get supported and you do have better apps support and integration on ios even is BlackBerry has the amazon store and Snap. This said, nothing beats the hub on 10.3 for managing mail and sending a quick twitter responses on the road.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 08:19 AM
    Interesting. I know BBOS used to compress data. I wonder if BB10 does as well. Or is it a case of the apps on iOS being more plentiful & requiring more resources?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 11:00 AM
    Maybe some app of the iOS is the culprit. Like the Stocks app and their auto sync to whatever cloud they have.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 11:11 AM
    Maybe some app of the iOS is the culprit. Like the Stocks app and their auto sync to whatever cloud they have.

Posted via CB10
    I think this is part of the story. I think another part is that iOS is designed with the carriers interests in mind so efficient data use is probably not a priority for Apple unless it reduces battery drain significantly. BB10 is designed with enterprise and developing markets in mind where efficient data usage is a much larger concern.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 11:22 AM
    Probably due to icloud syncing etc. Do you sync your bb with any cloud services?
    12-28-14 11:26 AM
    I sync my BlackBerry with my iCloud account using caldav and carddav and imap idle for the mail. Works fine.

One thing I noticed is that bb10 is using imap idle and will only do a full account sync every 10 mins (my setting choice) which ios mail does a full sync everytime you open the app.

I'm guessing that the hub facebook and twitter services are more efficient than the notification service on ios.

I use BBM on both phones so there shouldn't be a huge difference there again unless apple's notification service pools the server continuously to check for new messages....

Even if the front end of bb10 is not quite up to the ios front-end in terms of look and feel, I'm suspecting that the backend services are a lot better integrated together and that the data management is better optimized.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 11:49 AM
    There's no mystery. There's obviously some data consuming apps running on iOS that aren't running on the BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 12:06 PM
    Pics and video on iOS sync to the cloud...maybe that's it?...let us know...

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10 on10.3.1.1154
    12-29-14 01:39 AM
    Hello everyone

Being away at the moment on holiday, I'm 100% on LTE all day. So I decided to do a little experiment.

1) I ran an iPhone 6 plus for 2 days and went through my daily routine. The battery was great but what really got me is that I used 700mb of data in 48 hours.

2) I picked up my trusty z30 that I carry around all the time and inserted my smicard in using an adapter. I used the phone for.2 days doing about the same thing and even a little more. Amazingly I only used 189 mb of data.

It's not the first time I notice a discrepancy on data usage between the BlackBerry and the iPhone. I quickly looked over some.of my employees that have switched between the 2 phones recently and there's a definitive increase when they're on ios.

Either BlackBerry is amazing at managing its data or ios has a big big issues at doing so! Anyways, just thought I'd share the story. I will always make sure I use the BlackBerry on the road for now on!

Ps: for the ios haters, I use the phone I need based on which project I'm working on and the clients requirements. Sorry ,but ios is still a huge part of the market that need to get supported and you do have better apps support and integration on ios even is BlackBerry has the amazon store and Snap. This said, nothing beats the hub on 10.3 for managing mail and sending a quick twitter responses on the road.

Posted via CB10
    It's a self fulfilling prophecy. Same thing happens to me. I use an iPhone 6 and a Q10. As you mentioned, you need both OS's for different projects and mentioned app availability. You're more than likely doing more work that requires data on your iPhone while doing more just communicating while using the Z30. It's just natural. My example would be that I tend to stream a lot of video when I have the iPhone 6 activated, but would never watch a video on my Q10.
    12-29-14 01:58 AM
    i believe the facebook app is constantly refreshing the news feed, downloading all pics automatically on every other platform. i had same on android and the facebook app was using 120% of my monthly limit....
    12-29-14 02:51 AM
    It could be the reason why BlackBerry doesn't fully develop their Facebook app.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 03:18 AM
    BlackBerry's Facebook app also cache the photos. I'm not sure if iOS does this but if you notice even if you don't have data connection you still can see previously loaded content on BlackBerry's Facebook app.

this saves a lot of data when you constantly use Facebook in the long run.

BlackBerry's Facebook app is as not good but it has its own perks.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 06:05 AM

Even if the front end of bb10 is not quite up to the ios front-end in terms of look and feel,

Posted via CB10
    Isn't Beauty in the eyes of the beholder? There are complaints about "smoothness" that I might agree with but I'm interested to find out what you find so much prettier in IOS.

I find the BB10 UI quite attractive myself. I just wish it could be fully themed.
    12-29-14 10:13 AM