From what I gather the current Android Runtime will not be updated to later versions but is suppose to be "supported". So in that vein I suggest we list our problems in the hope that some one is reading and can fix the problems with it.

Please list the phone/OS version you are using and the problems/apps.
    Last edited by pokacat; 12-20-15 at 04:44 PM.
    12-20-15 04:34 PM
    None actually.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    12-20-15 04:51 PM
    None other than they continue running background when you close them.
    A quick taskmanager session shuts them down.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-15 06:15 PM
    Spotify hit a new low. On the Z10 the music stutters. Maybe they added some CPU heavy DRM BS? In other words it's unusable.

Apps which don't load or install proper.

Apps that keep whining over Google Play Service even when I remove it with GPatcher.
    12-21-15 05:49 AM
    Spotify stutters and lags if it's not front and center.

Really irritating since I typically listen to music while texting or browsing the internet.

This would be a great time to have a native BlackBerry spotify app..

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 05:56 AM
    Videos don't always play well on Android apps in the Z10-1

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 07:01 AM
    From what I gather the current Android Runtime will not be updated to later versions but is suppose to be "supported". So in that vein I suggest we list our problems in the hope that some one is reading and can fix the problems with it.

Please list the phone/OS version you are using and the problems/apps.
    If the runtime is not getting updated how is going to be fixed?
    12-23-15 09:07 AM
    If the runtime is not getting updated how is going to be fixed?
    Semantics.

It was updated in the latest OS release. But there are no plans to update support to a later version of Android. Indeed, since the release of the Priv BlackBerry may not be allowed to do that, but they can still fix problems with the current software.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    12-23-15 10:47 AM
    Semantics.

It was updated in the latest OS release. But there are no plans to update support to a later version of Android. Indeed, since the release of the Priv BlackBerry may not be allowed to do that, but they can still fix problems with the current software.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    So they can add their add fixes to their own branch but they can't pull from Google?
    1raygin likes this.
    12-23-15 10:53 AM
    So they can add their add fixes to their own branch but they can't pull from Google?
    Essentially correct, however Android code is open source, no need to pull from Google. Anyone who is not otherwise preclude by contractual agreement can use the Android code base to produce products. These agreements are rarely public, but it seems reasonable that since BlackBerry is now selling a device with Google Play Services installed they can not in future offer devices with forked Android, but apparently are able to continue to maintain products already released.

This was all discussed at length on CB prior to the release of the Priv.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    12-23-15 11:43 AM
    Essentially correct, however Android code is open source, no need to pull from Google. Anyone who is not otherwise preclude by contractual agreement can use the Android code base to produce products. These agreements are rarely public, but it seems reasonable that since BlackBerry is now selling a device with Google Play Services installed they can not in future offer devices with forked Android, but apparently are able to continue to maintain products already released.

This was all discussed at length on CB prior to the release of the Priv.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I am a bit surprised that they can update the runtime at all. It's not technical issue. It's the agreement between Google and BlackBerry that I should thinking of.
    12-23-15 12:09 PM
    Most android 'experts' on this forum said BlackBerry would have to remove the android runtime from bb10 as soon as the Priv was released.

I'm glad they weren't as expert as they thought.

Getting fixes for the runtime will do for a while, but eventually it will become less and less useful as apps start using api's/features only available on later android releases.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 12:23 PM
    Most android 'experts' on this forum said BlackBerry would have to remove the android runtime from bb10 as soon as the Priv was released.

Getting fixes for the runtime will do for a while, but eventually it will become less and less useful as apps start using api's/features only available on later android releases.

Posted via CB10
    Not an expert but I said it and I was wrong.
    Actually I thought it would be the first BB10 update after the release of Priv would give the owner a hard choice, but close enough.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 12-23-15 at 01:43 PM.
    12-23-15 12:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think anyone suggested that BlackBerry would send Stormtroopers to your house to forcibly remove the Runtime from existing devices.

But by putting the Runtime out to pasture by keeping it at Jellybean for all time, has effectively done the same thing.

I would argue that if future BB10 updates were any more than simple maintenance releases, they would probably have to remove the Runtime. But since that is not the case, it's a moot point.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-23-15 01:07 PM
    I'm DEFINITELY not an expert in any of these subjucts, but wouldn't it be likely that by updating the runtime to a higher version, it would create more problems for the rest of the device / OS?

People already experience issues such as battery drain and lag when running any number of certain Android apps. How could one think that this problem wouldn't be even worse if we had a higher powered runtime? Especially on devices like the Z10 or the Q10 / Classic. I don't think it would be worth it to sacrifice other areas for a more 'improved' runtime.

It seems to work as good as most need it to. Other apps that don't work are not runtime issues at all (Snapchat being one).
    12-23-15 01:53 PM
    I'm DEFINITELY not an expert in any of these subjucts, but wouldn't it be likely that by updating the runtime to a higher version, it would create more problems for the rest of the device / OS?

People already experience issues such as battery drain and lag when running any number of certain Android apps. How could one think that this problem wouldn't be even worse if we had a higher powered runtime? Especially on devices like the Z10 or the Q10 / Classic. I don't think it would be worth it to sacrifice other areas for a more 'improved' runtime.

It seems to work as good as most need it to. Other apps that don't work are not runtime issues at all (Snapchat being one).
    Newer versions of the runtime compile the apps at installation instead of "just in time" which would make the apps faster and more efficient.
    Newer versions would be more likely to solve problems but yes there is a chance that things could get worse depending on your particular usage model.
    12-23-15 01:58 PM
    Newer versions of the runtime compile the apps at installation instead of "just in time" which would make the apps faster and more efficient.
    Newer versions would be more likely to solve problems but yes there is a chance that things could get worse depending on your particular usage model.
    I'm not an Android expert either but I believe that the platform has been optimising Dalvik code to the capabilities of the device a program is installed on since before Jellybean. That said improvement would be nice, but don't expect it.

However it is clear that the current BlackBerry runtime is primarily aimed at supporting the Amazon ecosystem. In that respect being stuck on Jellybean is not that much of a drawback. The solution for those who need access to a larger ecosystem has been and remains, running a different OS. And now you can even buy that OS from BlackBerry.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    12-23-15 02:21 PM
    I'm not an Android expert either but I believe that the platform has been optimising Dalvik code to the capabilities of the device a program is installed on since before Jellybean. That said improvement would be nice, but don't expect it.

However it is clear that the current BlackBerry runtime is primarily aimed at supporting the Amazon ecosystem. In that respect being stuck on Jellybean is not that much of a drawback. The solution for those who need access to a larger ecosystem has been and remains, running a different OS. And now you can even buy that OS from BlackBerry.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    From the reading I done recently. Dalvik is jit(just in time) which has the benefit of smaller ram footprint. It was replaced by art which was an option in 4.4 and standard thereafter. The art compiled to native binary aot(ahead of time) which has the benefit of better performance.
    12-23-15 02:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well most BB10 experts said the Priv would have a BB10 variant, or be dual-boot, or not even be Android at all. Two sides to a coin.

It's all speculation until proven.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    12-23-15 03:09 PM
    WWE Network still crashes when loading a video. Pain in the arse.
    12-23-15 05:00 PM
    WWE Network still crashes when loading a video. Pain in the arse.
    Your holding it wrong
    12-23-15 05:07 PM
    My problem is there is too many choices, too many apps, I feel like an East German citizen after the fall of the Berlin Wall...

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-23-15 06:09 PM
    My problem is there is too many choices, too many apps, I feel like an East German citizen after the fall of the Berlin Wall...

Posted via CB10
    LOL!
    12-23-15 06:41 PM
    From the reading I done recently. Dalvik is jit(just in time) which has the benefit of smaller ram footprint. It was replaced by art which was an option in 4.4 and standard thereafter. The art compiled to native binary aot(ahead of time) which has the benefit of better performance.
    Dalvik has a JIT cache where stores code compiled into native from byte codes. Not as advanced or as effective as ART, but still Dalvik isn't pure byte code interpretation or JIT compilation.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    12-23-15 06:59 PM
    Hi. I'm new on crackberry. Last week i bought the z30. I also installed snap to use Play store and Android apps. But now after installing KingsRoad from play store it always close after loadingscreen. Has anybody an idea why it does? And how i can fix it.
    And also has anybody a solution how i can clear my cache (Ram) cause it's always used (1,4Gb/2Gb)?
    Thx for answers.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 01:56 PM
29 12