bb has a bunch of lazy bums working for them there are many android ports on bb world that work fine so why not take the most popular apk's and port them over to bb world so they dont have to run on the android emulator making them run more efficiently
    If you port your app to bbworld as a bar, it still runs in the emulator. It doesn't make the app more efficient. And apps that depends on Google play services will not port so easily or will have incomplete functionality.

Also, if you're suggesting that BB should take popular apps and port them themselves, that's not even legal. Those apps don't belong to BB.
    12-08-15 04:53 PM
    so an app that has been ported to bb world and is a bar file will still use the emulator ?

If you port your app to bbworld as a bar, it still runs in the emulator. It doesn't make the app more efficient. And apps that depends on Google play services will not port so easily or will have incomplete functionality.

Also, if you're suggesting that BB should take popular apps and port them themselves, that's not even legal. Those apps don't belong to BB.
    12-08-15 04:59 PM
    so an app that has been ported to bb world and is a bar file will still use the emulator ?
    Well I wouldn't call it an emulator. It's a runtime. But I believe that's what you meant.

If it's an android port, then yes it uses the Android runtime.

If it was completely rewritten from scratch as a native BB10 app, then no. This is why real native apps in BB10 you would expect to run faster, launch faster, and use less battery. But many apps on BBWorld are not native.
    12-08-15 05:06 PM
    Well I wouldn't call it an emulator. It's a runtime. But I believe that's what you meant.

If it was completely rewritten from scratch as a native BB10 app, then no. This is why real native apps in BB10 you would expect to run faster, launch faster, and use less battery. But many apps on BBWorld are not native.
    yes the bb runtme, so in essence the ports that are in bb world are apk's meant to run on the runtime itself rather than use whatever it is that the other bar fies use to run
    12-08-15 05:13 PM
    In doing so, you lose LED and sound alerts as well as status bar and panel notifications, don't you? I've not found a way to stop panel notifications while keeping LED and sound, but I'm not using a Priv either.
    No. Works fine. I still get email notification sound and LED from the HUB.
    ubizmo likes this.
    12-08-15 05:46 PM
    yes the bb runtme, so in essence the ports that are in bb world are apk's meant to run on the runtime itself rather than use whatever it is that the other bar fies use to run
    There are apps written in at least 2 languages (formerly 3 - Adobe WebWorx apps are no longer supported) that are considered "native" - they don't rely on the ART (Android Runtime) at all. But BB World also contains many Android apps that have been "repackaged" ("wrapped" in a BAR file), but they require the ART to function, and would not run if the ART was removed. Many people don't realize this, and assume that anything they download from BB World is native, but that is not, in fact, true. Anything that has the "Made For BB10" badge is native, and there are other native apps that, for one reason or another weren't given the badge, but many other apps are converted Android apps running on the ART.

And as app_Developer correctly pointed out, it would be illegal for BB to take apps from another store and put them in BB World. The apps are the property of their respective developers, and it is up to the developers to decide whether or not to put their apps in BB World, whether converted APKs or natively ported.

If there was a simple solution to the app problem (besides moving to Android), BB would have done it long ago, and so would Microsoft, Jolla, Samsung, Firefox, Canonical (Ubuntu) and others. But the fact is that there is no solution to the app problem other than spending many, many billions of dollars trying to build a big userbase, or moving to Android. BB doesn't have tens of billions to spend, so they went Android.
    Elephant_Canyon and Al moon like this.
    12-08-15 06:03 PM
    well thats great why not go write up a manual of everything you know post it somewhere where we can all read it that way we will never have to ask questions about anything anymore
    Al I'm sorry I offended you, I've been more salty than usual lately.

bb has a bunch of lazy bums working for them there are many android ports on bb world that work fine so why not take the most popular apk's and port them over to bb world so they dont have to run on the android emulator making them run more efficiently
    Your post was not framed as a question.
    You called BlackBerry employees lazy bums which may or may not be true, but your reasoning has been thoroughly refuted.
    You talked smack and you got called on it.
    Elephant_Canyon and kbz1960 like this.
    12-08-15 06:04 PM
    At the moment, the HUB does not pull up the file manager, but connects to various locations by itself. We'll see what happens on the 14th.

At the very least, the HUB is a darn good email client for me. With the addition of integrated BBM, that's pretty much all I need.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Hope they do integrate BBM and also SMS (without opening up google's messaging app) into the HUB. I really am raring to pull the trigger on the Priv this Christmas. I know they can eventually add all the features to the Hub but I've been spoiled by BB10 Hub and I think I will get frustrated with the current form of Android Hub.
    12-08-15 06:28 PM
    Thanks for the feedback.

Hope they do integrate BBM and also SMS (without opening up google's messaging app) into the HUB. I really am raring to pull the trigger on the Priv this Christmas. I know they can eventually add all the features to the Hub but I've been spoiled by BB10 Hub and I think I will get frustrated with the current form of Android Hub.
    BBM is integrated. So are phone logs.

SMS, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter are also there - but launch their respective apps when selected.

WhatsApp has already been confirmed for Dec 14th too.
    12-08-15 06:37 PM
    There are apps written in at least 2 languages (formerly 3 - Adobe WebWorx apps are no longer supported) that are considered "native" - they don't rely on the ART (Android Runtime) at all. But BB World also contains many Android apps that have been "repackaged" ("wrapped" in a BAR file), but they require the ART to function, and would not run if the ART was removed. Many people don't realize this, and assume that anything they download from BB World is native, but that is not, in fact, true. Anything that has the "Made For BB10" badge is native, and there are other native apps that, for one reason or another weren't given the badge, but many other apps are converted Android apps running on the ART.

And as app_Developer correctly pointed out, it would be illegal for BB to take apps from another store and put them in BB World. The apps are the property of their respective developers, and it is up to the developers to decide whether or not to put their apps in BB World, whether converted APKs or natively ported.

If there was a simple solution to the app problem (besides moving to Android), BB would have done it long ago, and so would Microsoft, Jolla, Samsung, Firefox, Canonical (Ubuntu) and others. But the fact is that there is no solution to the app problem other than spending many, many billions of dollars trying to build a big userbase, or moving to Android. BB doesn't have tens of billions to spend, so they went Android.
    thanks for explaining in english to me what i did not understand others seem to have nothing better to do than offend other people, quite frankly its pretty sad that coming here to give yourself enjoyment is the highlight of their day
    12-08-15 07:05 PM
    Everyone chill or some people are going to get banned real fast.
    Superfly_FR and ppeters914 like this.
    12-08-15 07:35 PM
    No. Works fine. I still get email notification sound and LED from the HUB.
    So...an email comes in and you get a beep and a light but nothing in the pull-down panel? And you can do the same for any hub-integrated app?
    12-08-15 07:48 PM
    So...an email comes in and you get a beep and a light but nothing in the pull-down panel? And you can do the same for any hub-integrated app?
    Yes. But I get a HUB notification in the pull-down menu as designed. But no Gmail pull-down notice too.

Same for sms.

These drop-down notices get cleared automatically when marked as read in the HUB.
    ubizmo likes this.
    12-08-15 08:41 PM
    I don't understand how there still is an app gap. There isnt!

With the latest 10.3.2 I load any android app on my q10. I go to m.apkpure.com and download the app and then install it.

Done!

Posted via CB10
    I would consider myself a "light" app user. I mainly use few newspaper apps, google maps, a game or two, and a couple tool/utility apps and even I can see that there is an app gap. Some just don't work (or don't work well) with side loading.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    12-08-15 11:32 PM
    "Liquid Smooth OS"

As most have stated already, the driving reason behind John doing this was because of apps. I still think that Blackberry 10 would have fared better if they had just marketed the phones better, and launched phones with high specs and reasonable pricing from the beginning. I hope they'll surprise us and give us at least one Blackberry 10 device in 2016, but I certainly won't hold my breath.
    Wait...Right now BlackBerry is busy enjoying her Android period.
    When BB cared least about BB10 when there was no Priv what can be expected now.
    12-09-15 12:51 AM
    I would consider myself a "light" app user. I mainly use few newspaper apps, google maps, a game or two, and a couple tool/utility apps and even I can see that there is an app gap. Some just don't work (or don't work well) with side loading.
    For Google Maps, if you really can't use an alternative, you can get a native app for that called BeMaps Pro.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    12-09-15 01:02 AM
    LMAO buggies. I love buggies!
    12-09-15 01:06 AM
    BB10 is such a liquid smooth OS. Why would anyone want to abandon it because the app gap?
    For me, it was simple. We use Google apps extensively. Google Docs. Google Sheets. Google Slides. Google Hangouts. And other apps that require Google logins.

My BlackBerry Z10 wouldn't work here because, no matter what I do, i can't legitimately get Google Services to work. Even "Snap" won't help me here ... and I always recommend Snap to BlackBerry 10 users.

Liquid smooth is almost irrelevant if I can't do my job on the phone while traveling.
    12-09-15 06:51 AM

I still "dream" about what BB10 had been without the bloatware of the Android Runtime. All apps natively written..... as I said, a dream.
    12-09-15 01:44 PM
    I'm very used to flying solo on many things I do, including choosing the smartphone that is right for me. I really don't care what some guy 1,000 miles from me is using as a smartphone. I don't care what car he's driving, nor what he had for dinner. What I do works for me and that's all that matters to me.

I have a decent LG Droid 4.4.2 that I use as backup because I need a few apps and want a "fun" phone for weekends. However, it's not my idea of a good business phone nor a great communication device and I would not want to use it full time. As an App-Running device? It's great. It's an awesome play phone for weekends. I use it for streaming music and running apps for Amazon devices, for depositing checks into my bank and for in-flight entertainment. Carriers like United Airlines require you to stream to your own device for in-flight on many of their planes now, and it's only Droid or iPhone apps that can do it. But for my business I choose BB. Both a 9900 and a BB10 device. Nothing beats it. And BB10 is quite simply an amazing OS. It is a shame it did not come along 3 or 4 years before it did. Things would have been different.

So, I still like BlackBerry very much.

And I'm not even Canadian. Go figure.
    12-09-15 02:01 PM
    Nothing missing on Z30. Any more
    Liquid Smooth OS-img_20151209_150511.png

Posted via CB10
    12-09-15 02:06 PM
    How smooth is Priv comparing to a Passport? Anyone?
    12-09-15 03:07 PM
    No one ever said "this mobile OS being liquid smooth is going to save me work and/or make me a lot of money."
    TROOF!
    No one cares about liquid smoove OS
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-09-15 06:53 PM
    Windows was terrible when it started, and no one cared about it in general until applications gave them clearcut use cases. Killer apps came along and Windows took off. Folks didn't by a PC to use Windows. They bought it to run applications.

Same actually goes for BlackBerry. How many folks would have cared without push email? THE killer app. Losing the Signal has a story about how BlackBerry caught on by showing off push email to the power players at various business conferences.

History shows us that platforms and applications that make them up win. Not operating systems.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    SomeoneOrOther likes this.
    12-09-15 07:59 PM
    Every mobile OS is optimized to be liquid smooth. No platform team plays around with a jerky UI and says "OK, it's ready to go!" There may be technical reasons why things hang up now and then but just about any OS can run smoothly. A better test is to see how much animation is built into the transitions because those usually aren't added unless the hardware can keep up with it.

That fact that someone says they feel that OS is smooth is practically meaningless.
    DrBoomBotz and southlander like this.
    12-09-15 08:05 PM
81 1234