BB10 is such a liquid smooth OS. Why would anyone want to abandon it because the app gap? They should at least give it a try. I've used Android and it sucks...same for iOS. I hate to see BB10 just die because of lack of apps or games.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 07:10 PM
    If you need an app, you need an app. Even for business, there is a massive portfolio of critical apps that are missing now, and the situation is getting worse by the day.

I love BB10 too, but the Priv is impressive. I was able to customise it to my needs and it absolutely flies now.
    Joao Oliveira and JRF_1986 like this.
    12-07-15 07:15 PM
    No one ever said "this mobile OS being liquid smooth is going to save me work and/or make me a lot of money." Tens of millions of people have said "this app being available on my phone is going to save me work and/or make me a lot of money."

Will you trade your car for a horse and buggy, even if the buggy was handcrafted of the finest materials? Probably not - because no matter what materials were used, and no matter how much skill the builder used, a horse and buggy doesn't have the functionality most people need in today's world. The coach builder can go on and on about how robots build cars while his buggy is hand-built using the utmost care, but most people are going to realize that they don't have time to care for horses, or a place to put them, and that the buggy isn't going to get them down the freeway at 70 MPH. While a tiny minority are willing to buy buggies and will appreciate his craftsmanship, there's no chance that buggies will ever be mainstream again.
    12-07-15 07:48 PM
    If you need an app, you need an app. Even for business, there is a massive portfolio of critical apps that are missing now, and the situation is getting worse by the day.

I love BB10 too, but the Priv is impressive. I was able to customise it to my needs and it absolutely flies now.
    Conite. Does the priv hub work as well as your old bb10? Close enough?

Posted on CB10 using my Z30 STA 100-5 on OS 10.3.2.2813
    igor10000 and theGUNNER like this.
    12-07-15 07:49 PM
    Conite. Does the priv hub work as well as your old bb10? Close enough?

It's not "always there" in the background like BB10, but a quick swipe up from the bottom, from anywhere, pulls it up very quickly.

I use BBM and email 99% of the time, so for me it is very good. I've set it up to swipe right across an email to toggle read status, and swipe left to toggle flag status. Very slick.

It may not be quite as good as the BB10 HUB yet, but everything else is much better - voice assistant (google now), file manager (solid explorer), browser (chrome, Firefox, opera, etc), music player (doubletwist), picture viewer (quickpic), picture editor (aviary), camera, and sharing between apps. Tailor to suit.
    12-07-15 08:17 PM
    It's not "always there" in the background like BB10, but a quick swipe up from the bottom, from anywhere, pulls it up very quickly.

I use BBM and email 99% of the time, so for me it is very good. I've set it up to swipe right across an email to toggle read status, and swipe left to toggle flag status. Very slick.

It may not be quite as good as the BB10 HUB yet, but everything else is much better - voice assistant (google now), file manager (solid explorer), browser (chrome, Firefox, opera, etc), music player (doubletwist), picture viewer (quickpic), picture editor (aviary), camera, and sharing between apps. Tailor to suit.
    Does solid Explorer play nicely with Dropbox like the BB10 file explorer? Can you attach multiple files to emails from the Priv hub from SD card and Dropbox? Thanks Conite. I respect your input.

12-07-15 09:09 PM
    Does solid Explorer play nicely with Dropbox like the BB10 file explorer? Can you attach multiple files to emails from the Priv hub from SD card and Dropbox? Thanks Conite. I respect your input.

It plays very, very well. In addition to integrating all of the cloud storage options, you can add an ftp address, webdav, and more. I can have my home synology server as an integrated drive in my file manager. Awesome.

The OS update from last week allows me to attach files from the SD card without issue.

If you rotate sideways, you can have a split screen and drag files back and forth between them.

I actually set up my file manager to launch with a swipe up and to the left from anywhere.
    Last edited by conite; 12-07-15 at 09:28 PM.
    12-07-15 09:16 PM
    It plays very, very well. In addition to integrating all of the cloud storage options, you can add an ftp address, webdav, and more. I can have my home synology server as an integrated drive in my file manager. Awesome.

The OS update from last week allows me to attach files from the SD card without issue.

If you rotate sideways, you can have a split screen and drag files back and forth between them.

I actually set up my file manager to launch with a swipe up and to the left from anywhere.
    I think file access is important to you like it is to me. One last question. On my friend's Priv I couldn't attach files to emails from Dropbox when composing from the hub. Have you gotten this to work?

12-07-15 09:33 PM
    I think file access is important to you like it is to me. One last question. On my friend's Priv I couldn't attach files to emails from Dropbox when composing from the hub. Have you gotten this to work?

At the moment, you can only grab files from internal memory, SD card, Google Drive, and (believe it or not) a webdav address (my home server - where I actually mirror my Dropbox files).

We'll see what goodies are in store with the hub update coming on the 14th.
    12-07-15 09:45 PM
    At the moment, you can only grab files from internal memory, SD card, Google Drive, and (believe it or not) a webdav address (my home server - where I actually mirror my Dropbox files).

We'll see what goodies are in store with the hub update coming on the 14th.
    Miss your Z30?

12-07-15 09:58 PM
    Miss your Z30?

I used a Passport SE for a few months in between.

I have nostalgia for my BB10 devices, but it seems like I can do so much more now. The horsepower in this Priv is something else.

My son uses my Z30, so I get to pick it up every now and then. Although nice, I have to admit it feels a bit old.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-07-15 10:07 PM

I modded the Sony Walkman app, if you'd like to give it a go. And check out the Piktures app, a 1000x's better than quick pic/aviary apps
    12-07-15 10:35 PM
    I modded the Sony Walkman app, if you'd like to give it a go. And check out the Piktures app, a 1000x's better than quick pic/aviary apps
    I will check out Piktures. Thanks!

I paid for doubleTwist. I like it because it syncs wirelessly with my iTunes library.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-07-15 10:49 PM
    So, Conite, how should I setup a new Priv? I don't need to transfer as all my calendars and contacts are associated with my three exchange accounts. I want to use the hub and don't want double notifications or have double calendars and contacts. Thanks.

12-07-15 11:11 PM
    So, Conite, how should I setup a new Priv? I don't need to transfer as all my calendars and contacts are associated with my three exchange accounts. I want to use the hub and don't want double notifications or have double calendars and contacts. Thanks.

With your exchange accounts, you should be fine.

I use Gmail. I had to disable notifications from the Gmail app to avoid duplicate notifications.
    12-07-15 11:26 PM
    With your exchange accounts, you should be fine.

I use Gmail. I had to disable notifications from the Gmail app to avoid duplicate notifications.
    Thanks.

12-07-15 11:49 PM
    I don't understand how there still is an app gap. There isnt!

With the latest 10.3.2 I load any android app on my q10. I go to m.apkpure.com and download the app and then install it.

Done!

Posted via CB10
    themightyshark and R3d13 like this.
    12-08-15 05:40 AM
    I don't understand how there still is an app gap. There isnt!

With the latest 10.3.2 I load any android app on my q10. I go to m.apkpure.com and download the app and then install it.

Done!

Posted via CB10
    Not all android app work however. And slowly the update of more commonly used apps is starting to show in the form of GPS requirements or extremely slow and buggy performance. For example, I recently had to rollback to an older version of Instagram on my Z30 because all the new updates were causing pictures to take several minutes to load. Luckily, I was able to find a site that maintains older versions of commonly used apks, so that I could revert back but have to use work arounds is becoming an annoyance.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    12-08-15 06:57 AM

Hi Conite,

Good to hear that the updates fixed some of the issues initially posted in CB. I have another question, does the HUB's File Picker get the drives you attached/configured through Solid Explorer? Or can the Solid Explorer be used in lieu of the Hub's own File Picker? I would prefer the former but if not possible then the latter will do.

Am really interested in the Priv but the Hub's functionality is what is giving me second thoughts. Also the lack of Blend which I use extensively.

Been looking at youtube reviews of the Priv and the Hub and most reviewers dismiss the Hub as redundant or cluttered or don't feature it a lot in their reviews.

Thanks in Advance.
    12-08-15 09:42 AM
    Hi Conite,

Good to hear that the updates fixed some of the issues initially posted in CB. I have another question, does the HUB's File Picker get the drives you attached/configured through Solid Explorer? Or can the Solid Explorer be used in lieu of the Hub's own File Picker? I would prefer the former but if not possible then the latter will do.

Thanks in Advance.
    At the moment, the HUB does not pull up the file manager, but connects to various locations by itself. We'll see what happens on the 14th.

At the very least, the HUB is a darn good email client for me. With the addition of integrated BBM, that's pretty much all I need.
    12-08-15 01:27 PM
    "Liquid Smooth OS"

As most have stated already, the driving reason behind John doing this was because of apps. I still think that Blackberry 10 would have fared better if they had just marketed the phones better, and launched phones with high specs and reasonable pricing from the beginning. I hope they'll surprise us and give us at least one Blackberry 10 device in 2016, but I certainly won't hold my breath.
    ppeters914 and SomeoneOrOther like this.
    12-08-15 03:24 PM
    Not all android app work however. And slowly the update of more commonly used apps is starting to show in the form of GPS requirements or extremely slow and buggy performance. For example, I recently had to rollback to an older version of Instagram on my Z30 because all the new updates were causing pictures to take several minutes to load. Luckily, I was able to find a site that maintains older versions of commonly used apks, so that I could revert back but have to use work arounds is becoming an annoyance.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    Just as not all droid apps work on every droid phone

Posted via CB10
    Vistaus likes this.
    12-08-15 04:01 PM
    "BB10 is such a liquid smooth OS."
    You sound like a wine snob or even worse an audiophile.
    BB10 finishes with a subtle hint of oak.
    Witmen and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    12-08-15 04:02 PM
    In doing so, you lose LED and sound alerts as well as status bar and panel notifications, don't you? I've not found a way to stop panel notifications while keeping LED and sound, but I'm not using a Priv either.
    12-08-15 04:27 PM
    bb has a bunch of lazy bums working for them there are many android ports on bb world that work fine so why not take the most popular apk's and port them over to bb world so they dont have to run on the android emulator making them run more efficiently
    12-08-15 04:47 PM
81 123 ...