I have seen several reports of RIM licensing BB10 to companies like Samsung and HTC.

Sounds great except that it has been tried multiple times and has never worked.
    It has never worked for a company that makes an integrated hardware/software product to licence the software to direct competitor.

Apple tried it in the mid 90s and they almost went bankrupt.

Palm tried it and failed.

Now Microsoft is trying it from the other side and it is too early to tell if it will fail, but already competing OEMs are not happy.

What would make sense is limited licensing of not only the os, but the logic boards as well to special industries.
    FOr instance, a few months ago I installed wireless POS devices based on an iPod touch at a retail store. It required the iPod to be placed inside of a special case with a barcode scanner and credit card reader.
    This is an area where BB10 would be great. They could sell the system board and the OS to the company that would build the entire unit in a seamless fashion. This would allow the spread of the platform without causing direct competition to RIM when you walk into Verizon store.

They could license to Garmin and TomTom for dedicated GPS devices. In other words. licensing to anything that would not create competition to the core product, the smartphones an individual would buy.
    12-31-12 11:08 AM
    Agreed...not much being said about how or where they will license but I would think your comments would (should) be top of their list.
    12-31-12 11:33 AM
    When I hear Thorsten speak of licencing I hear him speak of using BB10 in ways it's not being currently used like on medical devices, or in cars etc. He never uses as an example licensing the OS to another smartphone manufacturer. I will believe it when I see it I do not think you will see BB10 on a phone that isn't made by BlackBerry.
    12-31-12 02:32 PM
    When I hear Thorsten speak of licencing I hear him speak of using BB10 in ways it's not being currently used like on medical devices, or in cars etc. He never uses as an example licensing the OS to another smartphone manufacturer. I will believe it when I see it I do not think you will see BB10 on a phone that isn't made by BlackBerry.
    I agree 100% with you. I think everyone heard the word "licensing" and assumed he meant to other handset manufacturers. There are many applications that could benefit from this new OS so lets wait and see what pans out.
    12-31-12 03:40 PM