With the recent flurry of changes and announcements to Blackberry World and with WhatsApp & Facebook dropping support to native Blackberry apps - BlackBerry devices are becoming more and more less attractive as a prospective Phone.

Although these changes seem minor in some regards the perception can be huge. Very unlikely to find new customers choosing Blackberry over Apple or Andriod devices with this type of news.

Yes, we know BlackBerry is great for productivity but you know what it's just not enough. Other platforms have less efficient workflows for productivity but it's not a huge obstacle and can be overcome by using different methods and apps. However the overall package available on other platforms; hardware variety, different price points(not apple), regular OS updates, thriving app development ecosystem - all things considered it's a better overall package unless privacy and security is paramount.

So for the regular user, like myself whom loves using the Passport, wishes to see Andriod available to existing BB devices? How likely is this occur and is it even possible? Considering how the device is locked down through encryption. Can a new OS be delivered via OTA or BlackBerry Link?

Posted via CB10
    03-19-16 06:13 PM
    The likelihood, as discussed many times, is zero.
    JeepBB and moyah8 like this.
    03-19-16 06:34 PM
    Again, the likelihood of BlackBerry doing that is about the same as a Jeb! Bush presidency. But, if they do, the user base would split into two camps.

The first camp are people who bite the bullet and install Android. They will realize that since the only difference between their BlackBerry and the other Android devices is that the other phones aren't stuck on hardware from 2012, what draw would their old phone have? Assuming they wanted the physical keyboard, then they'd probably have gotten the Priv already. There might be a small edge case for people wanting an Android Passport, but square screens are the odd one out in a 16:9 world. The rest of the BB10-Android Frankenstein lineup is tepid at best in comparison.

The other camp are the give me BB10 or give me death types. They will, as they are wont to do, spam CB with "DAE Chen = Hitler" threads and refuse to install Android, regardless if it's forced or optional. BB10 slowly withering down to Motorola StarTac levels of functionality still counts as "it's fine for me" for them.

So, really, BlackBerry are better off spending whatever money they'd need to port their Android flavor to the BB10 lineup on anything else.
    JeepBB and ItchyHuman like this.
    03-19-16 08:31 PM
    Don't think this is pie in the sky, there's a video on youtube with Android running a Blackberry Passport dating back to the time the Priv was in development and near release, most likely for testing purposes. Bottom line is, you may not get the full Blackberry Experience on Andriod but the fundamental and essential functionality is there, namely the Hub. Although not in its entirety.

I've ported the priv apk files to a Galaxy Note 4 and it worked a treat - made even easier to install with 'Cobalts Blackberry Manager'. Best'ish of both worlds but it'd be even better if it was in the Blackberry Passport form factor.

I personally love the aspect ratio, superb for Web browsing and reading articles and goes without saying the physical keyboard albeit it's a 2-handed affair.

Alas, it's not meant to be, Passport would still suffer from limited apps due to the screen shape, or am I wrong I'm this regard? Some do seem to scale/fit well. Honestly, I see myself shifting to the Note 4 but that too is very frustrating - over 4 months and going, still no Marshmallow update released from Samsung. This is only reason why I'm still using the Passport, I want to trial Marshmallow on the note 4 before changing allegiance.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 06:41 PM
    The odds of this happening are a jaw dropping infinity to zero. A bet of zero dollars on this happening will pay out infinity dollars if it happens.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 07:58 PM
    This would never happen. BlackBerry 10 is known for its security and many governments use it for that purpose.

The hardware couldn't most likely handle Android itself (excluding Passport and possibly z30 may operate on it)

It was probably considered at one point but would never happen and if it were to, it would deal quite a blow to how many users still use BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 11:20 PM
    this question gets asked every day! sheesh..

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 02:17 AM
    this question gets asked every day! sheesh..
    And it'll keep being asked until someone gives the "right" answer....

Straw clutching at its finest!
    03-21-16 04:16 AM
    Android for existing Blackberry OS10 devices would be a drastic dowgrade!

Posted either via -Passport SQW100-1 or -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    kertong and moyah8 like this.
    03-21-16 04:17 AM
    And it'll keep being asked until someone gives the "right" answer....

Straw clutching at its finest!
    haha - i really didn't like android on the priv, but if android came to the passport/classic and extended its life a bit longer, it'd be pretty sweet.....

but yeah, seems highly unlikely. the fact that this question gets asked almost daily though should be a clear signal to BB if they're listening...
    03-21-16 04:03 PM
    When Barack gets a 3rd term. BlackBerry would rather have people using a dead OS than give people what they want. Dark hub?

Wow.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-16 05:16 AM
    Unless Chen comes out on April 1st and reveals that they have a warehouse full of Passports to move, there is no chance they will spend the time or money creating an Android version for existing devices.

It's one thing to develop an in-house version while developing the PRIV, it's another thing entirely to get that OS up to public consumption standards.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the chances of Android on BB10 devices is about as likely as BB10 on the PlayBook... there are still people out there who hold out that hope!

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-22-16 10:01 AM