The browsers are opensource. Why not pay to a fundation as Mozilla for a port? Or opera for its chromium fork? Even I am sure that there opensource developers who can port a browser for a not so expensive amount of money (as far as the code still public)

Posted via CB10
    The core functions of the BB10 browser are baked into the OS itself. The app is mostly a UI.
    08-01-17 01:17 PM
    That's 10,000 people willing to pay $3000-$5000 per device. This represents about 1/10th the cost of full-blown OS development - so a very, very conservative estimate indeed.
    I am not suggesting full blown OS development.

I am suggesting open sourcing the Android Player and making it an optional app to download from BlackBerry World. Much of the work could have already been done. Is it possible that the delay in delivery of 10.3.3 could have been the need to replace workarounds for the Android Player with hardened solutions that make it run as an app?

Once this is done the only continued development would be periodically upgrading the native browser or replacing its implementation entirely.
    08-01-17 01:28 PM

I am suggesting open sourcing the Android Player and making it an optional app to download from BlackBerry World. Much of the work could have already been done. Is it possible that the delay in delivery of 10.3.3 could have been the need to replace workarounds for the Android Player with hardened solutions that make it run as an app?

Once this is done the only continued development would be periodically upgrading the native browser or replacing its implementation entirely.
    Why is BB going to do anything for BB10 ever again that doesn't produce significant profit? If people want things from Android like Android Player, there's you know, Android OS....
    08-01-17 01:31 PM

Nor am I, which is why my $3000 to $5000 per device fee is already only 1/10th the cost of full blown development.

And as we all have meticulously explained, the Android Runtime will not, can not, and will NEVER be open source, so please stop that nonsense.
    08-01-17 01:32 PM
    Nor am I, which is why my $3000 to $5000 per device fee is already only 1/10th the cost of full blown development.

And as we all have meticulously explained, the Android Runtime will not, can not, and will NEVER be open source, so please stop that nonsense.
    You meticulously jumped to conclusions backed up with nothing as are the numbers you suggested.
    08-01-17 01:36 PM
    You meticulously jumped to conclusions backed up with nothing as are the numbers you suggested.
    /blackberry-10-os-f269/like-see-one-more-bb10-device-1101450-post12898840/

/blackberry-10-os-f269/like-see-one-more-bb10-device-1101450-post12902655/
    08-01-17 01:46 PM
    I suppose I should have said the same of Troy Tiscareno.

Have either of you spoken to an implementer or seen the code?
    08-01-17 01:48 PM
    NO keys need to be given we are talking about source. New keys would be acquired by the developer like any other app. As part of the existing Cascades API certain app features need to be authorized by BlackBerry and the needed APIs may already exist, but are undocumented as part the 10.3.3 release.
    Last edited by DonHB; 08-01-17 at 02:05 PM.
    08-01-17 01:55 PM
    So BlackBerry has security contracts they should keep developing BB10 for, and they should hand over the keys to their party developers. SMH
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    08-01-17 02:00 PM
    NO keys need to be given we are talking about source. New keys would be acquired by the developer like any other app.
    We've gone over all of this before!

The Android Runtime has and needs deep access to BB10. It's a major security issue to hand that off to a third party.

Besides, once again, the job of extricating the Runtime is monumental - even harder to do without ANY BB10 resources, infrastructure, or developers.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    08-01-17 02:06 PM
    The Android Runtime has and needs deep access to BB10. It's a major security issue to hand that off to a third party
    This is not necessarily so.

You have spoken to an implementer or seen the code?
    08-01-17 02:08 PM
    What in heaven's name do I need to speak to a BB10 developer (who no longer exists btw)?! These issues are self-evident.
    08-01-17 02:15 PM
    In what way does an Android app need more access to the system then a native app?
    08-01-17 02:19 PM
    This is not necessarily so.

I'll make the call if you'll give me their name and phone number.
    08-01-17 02:19 PM
    In what way does an Android app need more access to the system then a native app?
    Omg. We're talking about the Android Runtime - a low-level VM that is integral with BB10.
    08-01-17 02:20 PM
    Omg. We're talking about the Android Runtime - a low-level VM that is integral with BB10.
    You didn't answer the question.
    08-01-17 02:21 PM
    You didn't answer the question.
    An app doesn't, but the environment in which they need to run does. Absolutely.
    08-01-17 02:23 PM
    Please suggest a case where it does.
    08-01-17 02:26 PM
    Please suggest a case where it does.
    It's a low level VM. Why do you think it's locked out of most EMM solutions?
    @app_Developer, would you like to tag in?
    08-01-17 02:28 PM
    We will go there once you answer the question. The issue is why the the Player can't be made an app.
    08-01-17 02:31 PM
    We will go there once you answer the question. The issue is why the the Player can't be made an app.
    Because you would be talking about replacing a low-level jellybean VM with a simple marshmallow emulator on 2014 hardware.

And that's after you spent ungodly amounts of money extracting and plugging all the holes in the existing Runtime with non-existent developers.
    08-01-17 02:34 PM
    Because you would be talking about replacing a low-level jellybean VM with a simple marshmallow emulator on 2014 hardware.

And that's after you spent ungodly amounts of money extracting and plugging all the holes in the existing Runtime with non-existent developers.
    How do you know the existence of holes and what native code relies on the Player?
    08-01-17 02:36 PM
    How do you know the existence of holes and what native code relies on the Player?
    Sigh. I give up. We don't seem to have a common knowledge base to work from. Cheers.
    08-01-17 02:40 PM
    Sigh. I give up. We don't seem to have a common knowledge base to work from. Cheers.
    Conjecture vs fact.

You may be right about the implementation of the Player what I am asking is how you know it is so and why you believe it has to be that way.
    08-01-17 02:41 PM
    Conjecture vs fact.

You may be right about the implementation of the Player what I am asking is how you know it is so and why you believe it has to be that way.
    One of those common frames of reference I speak of is that it is up to the one forwarding the hypothesis (you) to provide the required facts. Despite all of the issues raised, you have responded to none, and have proven nothing. Otherwise it is pure conjecture.
    08-01-17 02:48 PM
314 ... 910111213