And you think bringing back BB10 will save the day? Lol.

They almost didn't get rid of it fast enough before they went bankrupt.
    Bb has no debt at the time, the 1 billion debt plus Chen is the game play for get rid of it fast enough to transform to something else. It is useless to look back now, what is the lost of dream...
    hamed ghorbani likes this.
    06-01-17 02:59 PM
    Bb has no debt at the time, the 1 billion debt plus Chen is the game play for get rid of it fast enough to transform to something else. It is useless to look back now, what is the lost of dream...
    Chen was hired AFTER BB10 was deemed a failure by the board of directors, AFTER the company went up for sale and no one was interested. He was hired to save the company by moving out of devices.
    06-01-17 03:02 PM
    https://techcrunch.com/2013/10/10/bl...k-the-company/
    T H sold bb and took 10 million in the process. Bb was not without suitors, just the combine force of TH and Chen 's boss were won the board game. The history (after 10 - 20 years) might have a fair judgment later. IMHO. By the way, did you attend any share holder meetings or listened in on telephone? Just curious.
    Last edited by stlabrat; 06-01-17 at 04:39 PM.
    06-01-17 03:15 PM
    Very interesting thread. FWIW, I loved the BB10 OS. It was so slick and had so many nuanced advantages over Android from a productivity standpoint. I used to proudly tell people that I had the best of both worlds with the awesomeness of BB10 productivity with access to any Android app I wanted via sideloaded apks.

And then the apks slowly stopped working. And then my company terminated its BES contract so I could no longer get my work emails on my phone. And then 3rd party vendors stopped supporting the little things that make having a BB so fun like cases.

Fast forward to today, I feel like I'm in a much better place as a BlackBerry user. With the move to Android, I've got my apps, I've got my work email and hopefully, 3rd party vendors will be back on board with their accessories (Incipio has been good... Otterbox: come back to BlackBerry!).

To address the original topic... would I like to see one more BB10 device? From a business standpoint, it wouldn't make much sense. I would much rather the software focus be on growing the BB/Android experience. Now if for some odd reason, BlackBerry were to announce a new BB10 device, you better believe I would buy it up in a second! But that would only be as a collector... it wouldn't knock off my KEYone as my daily driver.
    hamed ghorbani and BigBadWulf like this.
    06-01-17 03:18 PM
    Chen was hired AFTER BB10 was deemed a failure by the board of directors, AFTER the company went up for sale and no one was interested. He was hired to save the company by moving out of devices.
    Save for how long?
    For ever? In this crowded market for how long?
    He isn't Young
    Oneday he will retire if he was celever he again start developing bb10
    They Accept lose and its good
    but escape is worst idea, they must continue with patient like Microsoft and make a better device
    I hope when chen end
    Finally a good person bring bbos again

Posted via CB11
    06-01-17 03:22 PM
    Save for how long?
    For ever? In this crowded market for how long?
    He isn't Young
    Oneday he will retire if he was celever he again start developing bb10
    They Accept lose and its good
    but escape is worst idea, they must continue with patient like Microsoft and make a better device
    I hope when chen end
    Finally a good person bring bbos again

Posted via CB11
    There's no money in devices. That's why they've moved on.

They are only licencing BlackBerry Android because it's there, and people are willing to pay just enough to make it worth the time.
    06-01-17 03:28 PM
    There's no money in devices. That's why they've moved on.

They are only licencing BlackBerry Android because it's there, and people are willing to pay just enough to make it worth the time.
    I know I just speak about future ,about to one year or two years or finally 3 year later,

Blackberry isn't a little android provider that licencing profits convince them in future, they need more money its clear soon they change their strategy with chen or another again for earn more money !

They will back to hardware when they want more money
    That time they need their os

Posted via CB11
    06-01-17 03:43 PM
    I know I just speak about future ,about to one year or two years or finally 3 year later,

Blackberry isn't a little android provider that licencing profits convince them in future, they need more money its clear soon they change their strategy with chen or another again for earn more money !

They will back to hardware when they want more money

Posted via CB11
    I'm trying to say that BlackBerry has no more interest in devices in the future. They have plenty better growth businesses to pursue.
    06-01-17 03:47 PM
    Where are all of the other OSs that everyone was sure would be successful?

- Tizen? Only available in a couple of countries and only on entry-level "burner" phones. No apps, no support.
    - WebOS? LG put it in TVs, but no one is putting it in phones. I doubt it will last in TVs either.
    - Ubuntu Phone? They abandoned the project - they realized that no one actually wanted what they were offering.
    - Sailfish? Jolla has made many announcements, but after 4+ years, there's been no actual traction, and there are only around 400 apps, which is beyond pathetic. There is no system for paid apps, and so developers don't care.
    - WinPhone? MS has effectively abandoned it. They're not even making their own apps available for it in some cases, and when they do, WinPhone is their lowest priority.

The truth is that developers don't want to support a bunch of different OSs, which is why there are only 2 commercially-successful OSs for the desktop: Windows and MacOS. Several companies have tried to break into the desktop OS business, but without wide developer support, they have no chance.

That's what's happened in mobile as well (as lots of people predicted). Developers chose the 2 platforms that gave them the best support and the greatest return, and all the others have been abandoned to die. Without third-party app developers, you can't have a successful platform, which is one of the main reason that BB10 was a NET LOSS of around $9-10 Billion for BB. Imagine having $9B in your bank account, and in 5 years, you were broke - all that money evaporated. That's what BB10 brought BB. Every phone was sold at a loss, because the development and other costs (beyond the cost of the hardware itself) were more than the gross profits on the devices - a LOT more. BB essentially subsidized the price of every BB10 phone - but BB isn't a charity, and their money wasn't infinite. At some point, the hemorrhaging had to end, and it has. No one at BB has any desire to go back to that poisoned well and start drinking again.

The quality and goodness of the OS are absolutely irrelevant - as a commercial product, BB10 was an enormous, colossal failure, and its prospects have only gotten much, much worse today as iOS and Android have consolidated their grip on the market and squeezed everyone else out.
    06-01-17 03:54 PM
    I'm trying to say that BlackBerry has no more interest in devices in the future. They have plenty better growth businesses to pursue.
    Yes dear friend you right
    Yes they have a plenty growth business but those have no effect for us,we use mobile, we are in tree called blackberry devices not security products selling,other actions isn't important for us
    Do they go to virtual reality?, or augmented reality?growth business?

If they want use blackberry name must make device, or not use rim better , why you think they has no more interest in devices? You said they sell License, it shows they have interest in mobile market
    Maybe for now true, they have no plan but
    not forever they must be stupid if they leave it for ever

Again if you want accept or not
    Finally they must back to market with all power
    We will see bbos device in future

Posted via CB11
    06-01-17 04:07 PM
    Where are all of the other OSs that everyone was sure would be successful?

- Tizen? Only available in a couple of countries and only on entry-level "burner" phones. No apps, no support.
    - WebOS? LG put it in TVs, but no one is putting it in phones. I doubt it will last in TVs either.
    - Ubuntu Phone? They abandoned the project - they realized that no one actually wanted what they were offering.
    - Sailfish? Jolla has made many announcements, but after 4+ years, there's been no actual traction, and there are only around 400 apps, which is beyond pathetic. There is no system for paid apps, and so developers don't care.
    - WinPhone? MS has effectively abandoned it. They're not even making their own apps available for it in some cases, and when they do, WinPhone is their lowest priority.

The truth is that developers don't want to support a bunch of different OSs, which is why there are only 2 commercially-successful OSs for the desktop: Windows and MacOS. Several companies have tried to break into the desktop OS business, but without wide developer support, they have no chance.

That's what's happened in mobile as well (as lots of people predicted). Developers chose the 2 platforms that gave them the best support and the greatest return, and all the others have been abandoned to die. Without third-party app developers, you can't have a successful platform, which is one of the main reason that BB10 was a NET LOSS of around $9-10 Billion for BB. Imagine having $9B in your bank account, and in 5 years, you were broke - all that money evaporated. That's what BB10 brought BB. Every phone was sold at a loss, because the development and other costs (beyond the cost of the hardware itself) were more than the gross profits on the devices - a LOT more. BB essentially subsidized the price of every BB10 phone - but BB isn't a charity, and their money wasn't infinite. At some point, the hemorrhaging had to end, and it has. No one at BB has any desire to go back to that poisoned well and start drinking again.

The quality and goodness of the OS are absolutely irrelevant - as a commercial product, BB10 was an enormous, colossal failure, and its prospects have only gotten much, much worse today as iOS and Android have consolidated their grip on the market and squeezed everyone else out.
    If they could easy compile their source
    Qnx never be failure
    Then they would accept new os ok,!!

Tizen will grow you can sit and see,
    Microsoft Windows Mobile never abandoned you can sit and see surface phone they just update their os to developer easily bring their apps from ios to Windows
    Qnx must be a new os that developers can easily develop their apps,

Tizen have good core ,devloper in future can ports windows 10 universal apps without big change to tizen

If they continue providing qnx, it can be like tizen

All bb old fan have a dark idea about other os and future just think android and ios winner for ever and nobody can fight with them :/

Qnx must change its easy its unix base and its possible just need clever men clever ceo...

Posted via CB11
    06-01-17 04:17 PM
    The people who are developing tizen and Windows are clever and give teach from past
    They never be failure
    Tizen burn because Samsung Afraid from relying more to. Google

When Samsung afraid, all other companies that make android phone must afraid, bb must afraid and continue their os,
    Your speaks are logical but you dont see future logical
    You have a dark idea about all future of bb

Posted via CB11
    06-01-17 04:28 PM
    - Sailfish? Jolla has made many announcements, but after 4+ years, there's been no actual traction...
    Hands On: Jolla's Sailfish OS on a Sony Xperia X | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

No hardware root of trust, but this may be my BB10 alternative.

BB10 was a NET LOSS of around $9-10 Billion for BB.
    Would you be so kind as to provide some links for this? Would like to read about it.
    06-01-17 04:44 PM
    Sailfish OS running on a Sony Xperia Device... | Jolla Users Blog

Would you be so kind as to provide some links for this? Would like to read about it.
    Its same for Ubuntu phone but
    It continue developing by some third party groups I forget their names but they work better than conical
    They make ubuntu very better than before

Posted via CB11
    06-01-17 04:53 PM

You can do that on the Oneplus X as well. Just thought you may be interested.
    06-01-17 05:16 PM

You are welcome to make that choice, but you will be right back on the "hacks, work-arounds, and old app versions" merry-go-round that you are dealing with on BB10.

And I wouldn't count on Sony to support this for long. It won't really make them money, and right now it is costing them money to support Jolla, who hasn't made a cent.

BB's quarterly reports are available online. Start in 2010 and work your way through 2015. Quarter after quarter of losses and asset sales are right there in black and white.
    06-01-17 07:52 PM
    not forever they must be stupid if they leave it for ever
    all other companies that make android phone must afraid
    Guys, do you really want to keep debating, against this logic?

You have a dark idea about all future of bb
    On the contrary, I think I can speak for all those you've replied to, that they are very positive about the future of BlackBerry, and were dark on it a few short years ago.
    06-01-17 08:24 PM
    As a shareholder...
    Would you be opposed to BlackBerry open sourcing the Android Player?
    06-02-17 11:00 AM
    I would be opposed to any expenditure of resources on BB10.

But it can't be done anyway. System files on BB10 MUST be signed by BlackBerry. The hardware would not allow it to be installed otherwise. BlackBerry is not going to give away its keys.
    stlabrat likes this.
    06-02-17 11:07 AM
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...eee7c76b60c726
    Bad idea. As both shareholder and love of Bb (both hardware and software) no! Hell, NO!

Posted via CB10
    06-02-17 11:21 AM
    I would be opposed to any expenditure of resources on BB10.
    Presumably, most of it is from the AOSP and what IP they added is unlikely to be in the OS they are licensing to their partners, but it would cost some to do it.

But it can't be done anyway. System files on BB10 MUST be signed by BlackBerry.
    It does not need to be a system file. So, the signature can be removed. BlackBerry authored apps are available on BBW.
    Last edited by DonHB; 06-02-17 at 12:02 PM.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-02-17 11:43 AM
    Depending on your philosophy.
    Lazaridis cared deeply about the privacy of the user, maybe above company success. Money, obviously wasn't everything for him (and some of us) or else he wouldn't have donated hundreds of millions of dollars to the progress of Canadian theoretical physics research.
    I wonder what solace that gives to the thousands of people who lost their jobs as BBRY wound down the smartphone business.

Or the shareholders who saw billions of dollars in value evaporate.

Or the fans who want a BB operating system which is no longer viable.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    06-02-17 11:52 AM
    It does not need to be a system file.
    But it IS.

With hooks into BB10 all over the place.
    stlabrat and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    06-02-17 11:57 AM
    Please, please no more BB10 devices! I would not like to see more BB10 devices cause it will mean money down the drain!
    06-02-17 11:59 AM
    With hooks into BB10 all over the place.
    Conjecture?
    06-02-17 12:10 PM
314 ... 56789 ...