So far, no one has answered what is absent from Cascades that would prevent it being used to implement an Android run time?
    Because that's a vague question? Do you mean making an Android runtime in C/C++ with a QML frontend (which is irrelevant)? Or are you just parroting "Cascades" for no reason?

Give this a read: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11..._than_android/
    Laura Knotek and BigBadWulf like this.
    05-31-17 04:55 PM
    Because that's a vague question? Do you mean making an Android runtime in C/C++ with a QML frontend (which is irrelevant)? Or are you just parroting "Cascades" for no reason?

Give this a read: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11..._than_android/
    I think his mean was an app like bluestack on windows for qnx !?

Yes,before they started making bb10 they could do something like this but it would disaster everytime we want use an android app need to run that first then run....so far

Posted via CB11
    05-31-17 06:04 PM
    If we are going to dream.....then the Passport as an all touch. Get rid of the keyboard. FTR....i love the Passport as is.
    05-31-17 06:09 PM
    I think his mean was an app like bluestack on windows for qnx !?
    Yes.

Yes,before they started making bb10 they could do something like this but it would disaster everytime we want use an android app need to run that first then run....so far
    No, it would work as the Android Player does now. How is it that a browser link on the home screen opens the browser? It would work the same way when you click on a link to an APK.
    05-31-17 08:01 PM
    You can substitute Cascades for Native SDK and QML is optional as is an executable with a GUI.

I never said I liked Android or how it works inside, but it has become a standard. So much so, that more people use it to access the Web than Windows. More important for BB10 it happens to have the SDK most used in mobile.
    05-31-17 08:23 PM
    Yes.

No, it would work as the Android Player does now. How is it that a browser link on the home screen opens the browser? It would work the same way when you click on a link to an APK.
    You're missing a fundamental point. It's not an app, it's an operating system, running within an operating system, and intertwined with it, so that BB10 controls the ART. System apps have to be signed by BlackBerry, or they won't install. A security design built into BB10. It's also the basis for GooBerry being a securer Android than the rest.
    05-31-17 10:45 PM
    Sorry. Did not want to insult you or others, but even you cannot guarantee that the data Google collects now will not be used by others in a different way if Google changes CEO, boards, policies in the future, or gets acquired or folds.
    There is no way of telling how data that looks innocuous now can harm you in the future.

<snip>
    I can see Conite's point that if you're happy with what Google provides in return for using its 'free' services, then so be it.

The counter-argument is that Google and FaceBook et al are developing more ways to correlate personal data across every facet of personal life, from tying Android Pay credit card purchases to clicked-on ads, linked to location tracking, and BlueTooth footfall tracking in shopping malls etc etc.

Add in Google voice tracking in the home/office, children being given Android devices as toys, web-tracking, contact tracking, location tracking, voice-print tracking, automated calendar sweeps, automated email data-gathering and all the rest of it, and the point has now arrived for some of us to draw the line on what personal and professional info we donate to a profit making and largely un-accountable company(s) in the USA.

One way of stemming much this autonomous and constant data-vacuuming is by using a BB10 device (and an outgoing firewall/VPN) but millions of Android users mostly don't see the point of limiting the functionality of their phones in return for personal privacy, which many now regard as an outdated concept. Until you ask them for their name, home address, birthdate, social security number, phone number, and credit card details. Nothing to hide?

So trying to stay on topic here, BB10 devices still have an important place for those of us who don't want yet more info fed to Google etc, and still find enough functionality in BB10 to run a business or a busy life.

Blackberry have said that they try and maintain a 'Never say never' stance over licensing agreements, so we don't know what's in the pipeline, and privacy aspects apart, Android becomes more secure with every release. So we may never see another BB10 device. Or, we might.

The constant background nag of Google's personal data-slurping and identity matching irritates many, and for them, BB10 is one still-viable privacy solution, at the moment.

~~~
    hamed ghorbani likes this.
    06-01-17 01:56 AM
    You're missing a fundamental point. It's not an app, it's an operating system, running within an operating system, and intertwined with it, so that BB10 controls the ART. System apps have to be signed by BlackBerry, or they won't install. A security design built into BB10. It's also the basis for GooBerry being a securer Android than the rest.
    Actually, Dalvik, not ART, does not do what VMs like Virtual Box do. It does not completely virtualize the hardware, but hands off OS chores to QNX. On other platforms, whether Dalvik or ART, it is usually GNU/Linux whereas with BlueStacks it is Windows. The reason for choosing (Google bought it) an OS with a VM was so that most apps could run on any processor. I think it is more like VM/CMS.
    Last edited by DonHB; 06-01-17 at 10:16 AM.
    06-01-17 10:01 AM
    I am not software background, but IMHO, if bb10 want to survive, you need to jump few generation and divorce from the Droid run time and utilize the next gen 5g network speed and focus on Web only rather than app, if I were bb, utilizing the auto enfortainment.system, go back door or go next gen... the current bb10 got too much restrictions and dependency on others, chip dependency is necessary, Qualcomm or Intel, possibly Qualcomm is more than willing to get back some of their 940 million. Day dream here. Ideally, incorporating the AI chip would be good... too bad no body answered the door when years ago when ibm knock on the door. Sad. History is made by all the choice made by key player, that not necessarily on the map...

Posted via CB10
    06-01-17 10:36 AM
    I think Wulf's use of "ART", was short for the "Android Runtime" within the BlackBerry OS. Not the other ART part of the Android OS.

Joel
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-01-17 10:41 AM
    I can see Conite's point that if you're happy with what Google provides in return for using its 'free' services, then so be it.

...the point has now arrived for some of us to draw the line on what personal and professional info we donate to a profit making and largely un-accountable company(s) in the USA.

One way of stemming much this autonomous and constant data-vacuuming is by using a BB10 device (and an outgoing firewall/VPN) but millions of Android users mostly don't see the point of limiting the functionality of their phones in return for personal privacy, which many now regard as an outdated concept. Until you ask them for their name, home address, birthdate, social security number, phone number, and credit card details. Nothing to hide?

So trying to stay on topic here, BB10 devices still have an important place for those of us who don't want yet more info fed to Google etc, and still find enough functionality in BB10 to run a business or a busy life...
    You have described why I am interested in seeing BB10 continue. With Windows 10, Microsoft has become too much like Google. So, you can add them to the list that includes Google and Facebook. Apple is likely to follow judging from the services they are providing and that research into cars hasn't ended as we were lead to believe.

Having an up-to-date device and Android run time (at least 4.4.4) may help generate developer interest. Maybe BB10 on Aurora is a solution.
    06-01-17 11:56 AM
    I'm afraid nothing will encourage developers for BB10
    06-01-17 01:01 PM
    I am not software background, but IMHO, if bb10 want to survive....
    Posted via CB10
    Blackberry does not want bb10 to survive. And apparently no other device company in the world wants bb10 to survive.
    stlabrat likes this.
    06-01-17 01:04 PM
    Actually, Dalvik, not ART, does not do what VMs like Virtual Box do. It does not completely virtualize the hardware, but hands off OS chores to QNX. On other platforms, whether Dalvik or ART, it is usually GNU/Linux whereas with BlueStacks it is Windows. The reason for choosing (Google bought it) an OS with a VM was so that most apps could run on any processor. I think it is more like VM/CMS.
    You might as well stop bothering. Not one penny of resources at BlackBerry is going to be allocated to expunge the Android runtime from bb10. Nor would it be an easy thing to do anyways.
    06-01-17 01:06 PM
    Yes they could do it in a lot of type
    But all way was very difficult
    I started a thread some week ago
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1108815
    About one of these way but there was a lot of trap

After that I research a lot and understand
    If you notice carefully you will see ,They couldn't made it better
    Run time was a best way. They made it very good
    Qnx beside android is fantastic
    Although it have bugs, but they made it with less money less time
    All way you said in world of computers is possible but how?how much time
    Or money it needs?
    Bb10 hadn't app and apps that make for it was expensive and un useful , no free good app except cb10 in past wasn't,
    They need very fast add a bank of app to save their market ,their money, their users...

Posted via CB11
    Last edited by hamed ghorbani; 06-01-17 at 01:41 PM.
    06-01-17 01:28 PM
    You have described why I am interested in seeing BB10 continue. With Windows 10, Microsoft has become too much like Google. So, you can add them to the list that includes Google and Facebook. Apple is likely to follow judging from the services they are providing and that research into cars hasn't ended as we were lead to believe.

Having an up-to-date device and Android run time (at least 4.4.4) may help generate developer interest. Maybe BB10 on Aurora is a solution.
    Windows and Microsoft never be like Google
    If they was like Google china never wanted Microsoft make a special win10 for their government , we can trust Microsoft but they never be like blackberry

No ,aurora is bad choice, it never be succeed, I never buy that,isnt beautiful

Posted via CB11
    06-01-17 01:35 PM
    No ,aurora is bad choice, it never be succeed, I never buy that,isnt beautiful

Posted via CB11
    KEYone is more interesting, but the Aurora is a better match to existing BB10 devices' displays. So, there is less work to do to get BB10 working on it.
    06-01-17 01:44 PM
    You might as well stop bothering. Not one penny of resources at BlackBerry is going to be allocated to expunge the Android runtime from bb10. Nor would it be an easy thing to do anyways.
    You seem to have a vested interest in this or anything BB10 not happening.
    06-01-17 01:44 PM
    You seem to have a vested interest in this not happening.
    As a shareholder, I sure hope it doesn't.

As someone with common sense, I know it won't.
    06-01-17 01:45 PM

Yes you right it never be happen just now

Maybe next month next year next century
    But bbos must back

I said once they can't rely Google for long time
    other os need even windows mobile

Just sit and see when I said it

Posted via CB11
    06-01-17 01:53 PM
    Yes you right it never be happen just now

Maybe next month next year next century
    But bbos must back

I said once they can't rely Google for long time
    other os need even windows mobile

Just sit and see when I said it

Posted via CB11
    If BlackBerry Android fails with the licencees, that will be THE END for device software from BlackBerry. Period. They will never, ever invest in another platform or bring BB10 back.
    kbz1960 and anon(9803228) like this.
    06-01-17 01:57 PM
    If BlackBerry Android fails with the licencees, that will be THE END for device software from BlackBerry. Period. They will never, ever invest in another platform or bring BB10 back.
    Maybe they never fails but they cant received success much
    They now have Positive financial Season
    It will continue for a year,two years, short time,they
    Cant earn money for long
    Can tcl make new blackberry phone like note 8, iphone 8 htc u11 or legendary surface phone?
    The future market is very very different from now
    Tcl shows they could make good phone but no revolutionary phone!
    A revolutionary phone need a new os new bbos new mind, just everything new,android never be new never can make blackberry phone as revolutionary ,
    Keyone with bb10 could be a revolutionary phone
    Because best abilities in same os on a lot of phone never seen ,but in bb10 all of the keyone abilities could seen
    You can see iphone, must of abilities were in
    android, was introduced as new in iPhone as a revolutionary phone, because it wasn't android, was ios

They need qnx also need bb10
    Bb10 will back but with new strategy
    Posted via CB11
    Last edited by hamed ghorbani; 06-01-17 at 02:22 PM.
    06-01-17 02:07 PM
    Just got notice that my banking app (Android) will stop functioning soon. They are moving to Android 5.0 and up. I'm not sure about the "native" BlackBerry one, but can't do photo cheque deposits with the BlackBerry anyways.

I have another device at home I can use for now, but the banking app was the big one to drop.

If it was in the budget I'd pick up a KeyONE. May look online for a PRIV cheap in the coming months. I may be able to hold out for KeyONE to drop the early adopter tax, but the usefulness of BB10 took a big hit today.

No way I'd buy another BB10 device now, despite loving the Passport. It's mid-2017 now and 2014 called and wants their device and OS back.

As much as we loved it, it's now behind the times for what a device should do.

Posted via CB10
    hamed ghorbani and BigBadWulf like this.
    06-01-17 02:24 PM

As a small shareholder, I sure it does. Someone with a dream but shattered. Lost >80% in value.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-17 02:50 PM
    As a small shareholder, I sure it does. Someone with a dream but shattered. Lost >80% in value.

Posted via CB10
    And you think bringing back BB10 will save the day? Lol.

They almost didn't get rid of it fast enough before they went bankrupt.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-01-17 02:51 PM
314 ... 45678 ...