The field would be very crowded. Including this one... Google not just get into pixel, (which I do not think much of it with the Droid baggage) , but this is different kettle of fish. Android co-founder reveals new smartphone to take on Apple and Samsung
    http://a.mynews.ly/!DcD.F41AQ

Posted via CB10
    Yes A fantastic phone by Andi Robin
    Android market is very crowded
    specialy some companies how are famous in security make android phone and Android every day will become more secure, blackberry just for his brand name will sell tcl android phone no other thing or security ,people buy Android not for security, buy just because its android,

Posted via CB11
    05-30-17 11:50 AM
    Still hashing this out. No surprise. You know CB has all your info and what you post about. I'd be more afraid of them.
    DrBoomBotz, BigBadWulf and Witmen like this.
    05-30-17 11:56 AM
    Reminder: discuss the post, not other members.
    05-30-17 01:15 PM
    In 10.3.2.2879
    Android runtime was available in appworld

Posted via CB11
    Only as a bug-fix to the existing runtime for that specific build (and maybe the previous build). It wasn't an outright update.

Joel
    05-30-17 01:53 PM
    Why is it foolish when everyone one else ignored it, too.

Foolishness is to continue doing something no one else cares about.

Joel
    I guess damn near everything everyone does is foolish by your definition then. The objective is to make money doing what no-one else is doing. Blackberry has always been missing the 1 ingredient - marketing- to really make their ideas successful.

I believe Blackberry should strive to lead the industry rather than follow. This is how Apple and Google both came to power. Create a product and make everyone think they NEED it. As soon as it has the android bug on it people clump it into a "non Samsung android" category. Hiding the blackberry logo just keeps it from being laughed at completely.
    05-30-17 02:30 PM
    Still I think I want to see a bb10 device with logical price
    One of the causes for bb10 or even amazon fire os that became unsuccessful, it was the price,phones in same range was very cheaper than blackberry devices or amazon fire , blackberry wanted be luxury brand like Apple in past(now apple isn't luxuries ,my mind ) with high device costs,but this reason, killed all our dreams for bb & bb10
    .... if they want make new bb10 phone
    Must make a phone with logical price
    If amazon fire or passport or z30 had a better price surly ,they would sell a lot

Posted via CB11
    05-30-17 03:10 PM
    In 10.3.2.2879
    Android runtime was available in appworld
    I intended to suggest that BB10.3.4 would not include the Android player, but would allow you to download it from BlackBerry World as an option.
    05-30-17 03:33 PM
    I intended to suggest that BB10.3.4 would not include the Android player, but would allow you to download it from BlackBerry World as an option.
    Why? It takes very little storage and zero resources if not used.

Either way, in the microscopic chance they develop 10.3.4, they wouldn't put in the effort.
    05-30-17 03:45 PM
    That is brilliant, bb10 is saved. One way or the other.
    TCL formed BlackBerry Mobile and has an exclusive license for making BlackBerry devices in most of the world. If another company was found who was interested in BB10 it would have to be on a Non BlackBerry branded device.
    05-30-17 04:05 PM
    TCL formed BlackBerry Mobile and has an exclusive license for making BlackBerry devices in most of the world. If another company was found who was interested in BB10 it would have to be on a Non BlackBerry branded device.
    Bb10 on a cc device? (after bb). That even better, hopefully, Mike L still got energy to see another his baby born to the world. No baggage from Droid. Get rid of run time, start 5G fresh.
    05-30-17 04:12 PM
    Of course, my comment was in response to the earlier comment that BlackBerry was foolish to abandon BB10. I said it would be foolish for BlackBerry to continue working on an OS that nobody wanted anymore.
    BlackBerry could have rethought what they had rather than abandon it which is what adding Amazon's App Store signaled.

As I wrote in an earlier post CEO John Chen could have decided to make Android the primary SDK and added full support for the Flow UX (Hub, etc.) as was suggested when BBX was being planned.

The suggestion was to do what Amazon did with Android, but build a new UX utilizing QNX as the OS instead of GNU/Linux. This idea for the SDK was likely nixed because of what happened with previous OSes that provided runtime support for other OSes. OS2 and Windows was the likely example.

The difference is with open source Android, BlackBerry could chose to take Android in a direction different from Google while deciding just how source and app compatible it would be over time. Should make you wonder why they chose to constrain their future by licensing Google Play Services (or maybe the terms have changed since the license was revealed years ago).

Bb10 on a cc device? (after bb). That even better, hopefully, Mike L still got energy to see another his baby born to the world. No baggage from Droid. Get rid of run time, start 5G fresh.
    I am more concerned about Google baggage than Android baggage. And lots of developer's know Android and supporting the SDK may lower barriers for entry to a another mobile platform.
    05-30-17 04:22 PM
    You got valid point about sdk. Bb10 sdk compare to swift is inferior (that is very generous statement) . Plus nobody, actually, NO body teach qnx in university, unlike swift was taught by Stanford and put on open course in YouTube. If you want to lower the barrier for dev, either you need a superior sdk that utilize both hardware and software strength, such as look up ta le for some common tasks, or good education for the elite. Apple is doing both.
    05-30-17 04:52 PM
    Most things can be done with Cascades, but takes more work. That the Android Player is stuck on 4.3 instead of 4.4 shows how much BlackBerry disregards their customers. They could have upgraded the run time without supporting ART (Dalvik only) before licensing GPS. 4.4 was released before John Chen became CEO. Kit Kat is still being patched.
    05-30-17 08:08 PM
    AI incorporate into sdk would be the way to go. :-).

Posted via CB10
    05-30-17 08:32 PM
    Nice, but if it is not part of an existing (third-party) adoptable SDK would require too much investment for a "dead" platform.

I would prefer what would likely be a smaller investment in making the Android Player into an optional download from BBW in 10.3.4. It would ingratiate the purists while making an up-to-date run-time easier to side load.
    05-31-17 02:41 PM
    Nice, but if it is not part of an existing (third-party) adoptable SDK would require too much investment for a "dead" platform.

I would prefer what would likely be a smaller investment in making the Android Player into an optional download from BBW in 10.3.4. It would ingratiate the purists while making an up-to-date run-time easier to side load.
    How would you obtain this "updated Runtime" containing official BlackBerry signing keys?
    05-31-17 02:42 PM
    I wrote side load, like Snap is side loaded, but there is a chance BlackBerry would approve it for BBW. Snap violates Googles rules regarding their app store. A third party runtime doesn't if it does not attempt to use Google's store and should run apps from the likes of Amazon and F-Droid.
    05-31-17 03:10 PM
    I wrote side load, like Snap is side loaded.
    It still has to be signed by BlackBerry.
    05-31-17 03:12 PM
    Blackberry stopped issuing developer keys? If that is the case then BB10 is dead.
    05-31-17 03:19 PM
    Blackberry stopped issuing developer keys? If that is the case then BB10 is dead.
    BlackBerry themselves have to sign system software.
    05-31-17 03:34 PM
    What functionality is missing from Cascades that is required by an Android run time?
    05-31-17 03:42 PM
    What functionality is missing from Cascades that is required by an Android run time?
    Reasons to develop for it?

It's still on Qt4 (dead) and TAT/BlackBerry Sweden have dissolved. Unlike developing for Android or even HTML5, a Cascades app cannot be easily potted to/from other platforms.
    05-31-17 03:48 PM
    That is an entirely different question, but what prevents an Android run time from being an app written in Cascades?
    05-31-17 04:14 PM
    It would take a very large and expensive effort to make the Android Runtime optional, given that BB10 was built with it from the beginning. If you ripped it out, there would be all kinds of holes that would need to be dealt with, and you'd still need to keep the hooks for those who reinstalled it.

It would take a team of 100 people or more the better part of a year to do this without breaking anything, and then it would need to be recertified.

I suspect the current BB10 team is well under 10 people, so where would these man-hours come from and who would pay for it?

As it is, there is no reason to expect that a 10.3.4 is EVER coming, but if it does, you can bet it will be nothing but bug fixes. BB certainly won't be paying for any major development at this stage of the game. The aren't even in the device business anymore.
    05-31-17 04:23 PM
    It would take a very large and expensive effort to make the Android Run time optional, given that BB10 was built with it from the beginning...
    You are sure that the Android Player is not like any other app? You can't delete the Calendar either and what functionality of BB10 is dependent upon it like the Calendar?

So far, no one has answered what is absent from Cascades that would prevent it being used to implement an Android run time?

...no reason to expect that a 10.3.4 is EVER coming, but if it does, you can bet it will be nothing but bug fixes...The[ey] aren't even in the device business anymore.
    Well, BlackBerry could arrange to use the Aurora. The KEYone would be a more interesting choice, but its display resolution doesn't match that of any existing BB10 device nor is its resolution a useful multiple of any of them.
    Last edited by DonHB; 05-31-17 at 06:39 PM.
    05-31-17 04:53 PM
314 ... 34567 ...