Nope. Google had datamining and advertising to pay for the "free OS". Ignorant (yes ignorant because not even Sergey Brin knows how that data is going to be used against you or him in the future) people who didn't make enough money to afford paying the price of an honest product rushed to use it.
    That's how Google won the market.
    Sure, you can argue they understood human nature, but not that they designed a better product.

Posted via CB10
    A paid model would have never raised enough money.

No one could have afforded the upfront costs necessary to fund billions of dollars in research and development.
    05-28-17 07:21 PM
    I think if Blackberry could get those developers to create, sustain and maintain those main application then this alone should be sufficient to grow the BB10. Unfortunately those people at Blackberry has been running the company in a wrong way. Every Tom, **** and Harry knows that application keeps the OS alive. If you do not have enough application then you should expect people to jump ship. From 2010 they have all the time in the world to populate the dam app store and yet they still fail to do so.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-17 08:10 PM
    From 2010 they have all the time in the world to populate the dam app store and yet they still fail to do so.

Posted via CB10
    They offered cash, free support, and development assistance to many app developers. It was clear that these developers were not interested in a third ecosystem - as they could already reach almost everyone in the world with only two apps.

I always use the Netflix example. Their Android app already worked on BB10, as is. They didn't even make the effort to port their app to BlackBerry World, even when BlackBerry agreed to do it for them.
    BigBadWulf and jmr1015 like this.
    05-28-17 09:48 PM
    A paid model would have never raised enough money.

No one could have afforded the upfront costs necessary to fund billions of dollars in research and development.
    Well, Apple did and still does.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-17 11:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty positive the ROI was incomparable.
    05-28-17 11:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Apple was selling iPods in the tens of millions a year, which supported iOS development. They essentially just added a phone and SMS app to an iPod Touch to make the iPhone.
    05-28-17 11:45 PM
    I'm pretty positive the ROI was incomparable.
    Sure, but Apple still made huge profits selling an honest product, not hiding behind data mining and not providing an option to pay with cash or with your data.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-17 11:57 PM
    Sure, but Apple still made huge profits selling an honest product, not hiding behind data mining and not providing an option to pay with cash or with your data.

Posted via CB10
    No one's hiding.
    05-29-17 12:01 AM
    No one's hiding.
    Google has been repeatedly and continues to do so.
    It has been caught numerous times doing illegal things and has promised not to, only after being caught.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 12:28 AM
    Sure, you can argue they understood human nature, but not that they designed a better product.0
    That's the point: Google did what would make their product successful - understanding that if it was successful, it could be improved later.

BB tried to make an improved product without trying to make it successful first - and now that product is irrelevant.

The results clearly show which was the right strategy.
    05-29-17 02:54 AM
    That's the point: Google did what would make their product successful - understanding that if it was successful, it could be improved later.

BB tried to make an improved product without trying to make it successful first - and now that product is irrelevant.

The results clearly show which was the right strategy.
    Depending on your philosophy.
    Lazaridis cared deeply about the privacy of the user, maybe above company success. Money, obviously wasn't everything for him (and some of us) or else he wouldn't have donated hundreds of millions of dollars to the progress of Canadian theoretical physics research.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat and awakerman like this.
    05-29-17 04:43 AM
    05-29-17 05:28 AM
    Nope. Google had datamining and advertising to pay for the "free OS". Ignorant (yes ignorant because not even Sergey Brin knows how that data is going to be used against you or him in the future) people who didn't make enough money to afford paying the price of an honest product rushed to use it.
    That's how Google won the market.
    Sure, you can argue they understood human nature, but not that they designed a better product.

Posted via CB10
    So what's your excuse for Apple, which across the board sells the most expensive phones on the market?
    05-29-17 06:10 AM
    I am not a supporter of Apple, so I don't have to have any excuses for them. For now, neither Apple nor BlackBerry have data mining for advertising as their main business focus and revenue, like Google has.
    They sell their products for a price.
    Google sells their products in exchage for the user's private data whose value is unknown to the user. The user never knows the price of the products he/she gets from Google "for free."
    That price is not fixed, it evolves over time as society, governments and company values change. It's the most stupid and ignorant decision a user can make.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 06:59 AM
    That price is not fixed, it evolves over time as society, governments and company values change. It's the most stupid and ignorant decision a user can make.

Posted via CB10
    You don't need to insult those of us who consciously use Google knowing full well what the arrangement is.

I'm comfortable with their privacy policy, and their firewalls.

I'm comfortable knowing that the successes of their business model depends on how they respect the privacy of their users.

I'm comfortable with the oversight that third parties and governments provide.
    05-29-17 07:33 AM
    They offered cash, free support, and development assistance to many app developers. It was clear that these developers were not interested in a third ecosystem - as they could already reach almost everyone in the world with only two apps.

I always use the Netflix example. Their Android app already worked on BB10, as is. They didn't even make the effort to port their app to BlackBerry World, even when BlackBerry agreed to do it for them.
    To take the Netflix issue further... when BlackBerry made the deal to include the Amazon App Store in the OS, within a few months Netflix actively sought to have BlackBerry 10 phones blocked from having access to it.

I even wrote to Amazon support about why Netflix no longer shows up, and was told that the developer requested to be removed from the list on BlackBerry phones.

When you have major app developers who harbor that kind of animosity towards a manufacturer, you know something went wrong along the way.

Joel
    05-29-17 11:11 AM
    So what's your excuse for Apple, which across the board sells the most expensive phones on the market?
    No excuse, but smart marketing to gauge the market correctly and generated buzz like left prototype on bar stool and get the police to break the door of reporter's home. Plus good support system that kept the resale value of old product high. So you feel like willing to fork over your kidney.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 11:37 AM
    To take the Netflix issue further... when BlackBerry made the deal to include the https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle35086714/

I even wrote to Amazon support about why Netflix no longer shows up, and was told that the developer requested to be removed from the list on BlackBerry phones.

When you have major app developers who harbor that kind of animosity towards a manufacturer, you know something went wrong along the way.

Joel
    I actually think it's simpler than animosity. It's pure economics.

Why spend resources to support BB10 when the number of users is vanishingly small?
    05-29-17 11:49 AM
    You don't need to insult those of us who consciously use Google knowing full well what the arrangement is.

I'm comfortable with their privacy policy, and their firewalls.

I'm comfortable knowing that the successes of their business model depends on how they respect the privacy of their users.

I'm comfortable with the oversight that third parties and governments provide.
    Sorry. Did not want to insult you or others, but even you cannot guarantee that the data Google collects now will not be used by others in a different way if Google changes CEO, boards, policies in the future, or gets acquired or folds.
    There is no way of telling how data that looks innocuous now can harm you in the future. You may not care now, but you don't know if you'll care about it 5-10 years from now. What is racist and politically incorrect now, was OK and the norm 100 years ago and in some cases even more recently.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 01:45 PM
    I actually think it's simpler than animosity. It's pure economics.

Why spend resources to support BB10 when the number of users is vanishingly small?
    I also remember that Reed Hastings was on Microsoft's board of directors at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if Ballmer had some influence in that decision because really BB10 and Windows phone were heavily competing for 3rd place.
    05-29-17 02:20 PM
    Sorry. Did not want to insult you or others, but even you cannot guarantee that the data Google collects now will not be used by others in a different way if Google changes CEO, boards, policies in the future, or gets acquired or folds.
    There is no way of telling how data that looks innocuous now can harm you in the future. You may not care now, but you don't know if you'll care about it 5-10 years from now. What is racist and politically incorrect now, was OK and the norm 100 years ago and in some cases even more recently.

Posted via CB10
    Life isn't about guarantees. It's about making reasonable judgements based on experience and common sense.

There is far greater risk from a former spouse or business partner making life miserable, or a financial advisor making away with large sums of money. But we still get married, start businesses, and make investments.

As I said, I'm comfortable with letting a black box at Google have my information. I'm not realistically concerned about a military junta taking over in the States, or an abandonment of privacy oversight in the future.
    05-29-17 02:24 PM
    I'm curious to know if the original BlackBerry founders are even using a BlackBerry device that's pure BB. I know I would be vex seeing how a company I built from the ground up is now a servant to a competitor that only wants to spy on your privacy. The mobile market sucks like the NBA. The mobile market reminds me of the NBA. Two top teams dominating the league like Android and Apple dominating the mobile market. There is no good choices out here. Sigh. We need a new mobile competitor with its own OS. It's pretty much comes down to which hardware is better now. They all run the same OS. BB10 over anything don't care how old it is. Still better than Android and Apple.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 02:33 PM
    a competitor that only wants to spy on your privacy.

Posted via CB10
    Google couldn't care less about you. Its business model is to provide services in exchange for targeted ads. It's as simple as that. If you don't like the quid pro quo arrangement, purchase G Suite or don't use it.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    05-29-17 02:48 PM
    BB10 over anything don't care how old it is. Still better than Android and Apple.

Posted via CB10
    Still better than all alive os
    All devices if
    bbos was for Apple or Microsoft or Samsung never die
    never wasnt here
    I understand, bb10 dead
    They want kill it
    Ceo want kill it

Rim could do better but they didn't want
    I think they sell bb to some governments because of high security in 10.3.3 we see

Posted via CB11
    05-29-17 02:57 PM
    I understand, bb10 dead
    They want kill it
    Ceo want kill it

Posted via CB11
    Chen was hired specifically to switch to software and kill BB10 (which was already dead in 2013).

And for the sake of shareholders, thank god.
    app_Developer likes this.
    05-29-17 03:10 PM
314 12345 ...