You won't get any sympathy on here for BB10 love. Be very, very careful what you say and who you disagree with.
    This!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 04:04 AM
    I would love to see more BB 10 devices. I can not be convinced that sharing everything on my phone with Google is privacy.
    No one is stopping you from turning off all the data sharing with Google and using replacement apps and services - though you'd likely just end up sharing your data with a bunch of other companies instead (just like you'd have done with BB10). But it's quite possible to use Android without sending data to Google - it's just that many of the Google-related features won't work, and there are a lot of very useful, productive features that are hard to replace.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-02-17 03:53 PM
    Could you please detail that? I do have a android tablet for tests. For example if you connect it to your network it will actively scan the network to discover devices. Every single thing it does collects info. What can you do with it if you disable all the services doing data mining? Android is built for data mining trying to stop that is too much of a bother and will destroy too much functionality and is almost pointless.
    I am running Windows 3.1 inside my win 10 machine but is just for the heck of it, to show that I can. The same goes to disabling data mining in Android, as far as I have been able to determine. I would like to see proof that I am wrong.
    03-03-17 12:37 AM
    Could you please detail that? I do have a android tablet for tests. For example if you connect it to your network it will actively scan the network to discover devices. Every single thing it does collects info. What can you do with it if you disable all the services doing data mining? Android is built for data mining trying to stop that is too much of a bother and will destroy too much functionality and is almost pointless.
    I am running Windows 3.1 inside my win 10 machine but is just for the heck of it, to show that I can. The same goes to disabling data mining in Android, as far as I have been able to determine. I would like to see proof that I am wrong.
    Data mining doesn't actually happen on an android device, but on the google server when you use their services.

For example, if you use another browser other than Chrome (Firefox for example), Google will not get access to your browsing history. Same thing if you use a 3rd party contacts/photos/mail app.

Google only has access to the data from within their own apps and services, not 3rd party apps.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-03-17 04:01 AM
    Data mining doesn't actually happen on an android device, but on the google server when you use their services.

For example, if you use another browser other than Chrome (Firefox for example), Google will not get access to your browsing history. Same thing if you use a 3rd party contacts/photos/mail app.

Google only has access to the data from within their own apps and services, not 3rd party apps.
    This.

And you can stop almost nothing that is sent to google via the data collection options, just a fraction of what is sent.
    But the good thing about google is that they tell you quite honestly that they collect everything , and their services are very handy.

Even when taking that to account, I will never use an operating system made by a advertising company, never, ever, ever.
    03-03-17 06:01 AM
    Yea and I'd like to see it having hypervisor

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 06:37 AM
    All my children, partner and close family use BB10. So will I till it effects my productivity.
    Android is a mess. WebOS was pretty cool. BB7 is even more secure than BB10.
    No bookface no android. No ios.
    Yes to blackberry, Linux and old school windows up to 7 pro.
    dpgo likes this.
    05-20-17 03:12 AM
    What about being protected from Google?
    Any android device need these crap from google, and every new version of android is worse.

Even in bb10 when you install google services(cobalts) this google crap is running always even when there is not apps requiring it.

Between security and freedom/control, I will chose the second, with bb10 and clean android apps I am quite happy but a bad OS let bad wrong developers/companies create the **** they want, and this is android world

So how do you reconcile these two statements?

I believe that existing EMM solutions can lock down iOS and hardened-Android well enough for even 99% of this group. Hence why there was little interest in BB10.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-17 08:16 AM
    What about being protected from Google?
    Any android device need these crap from google, and every new version of android is worse.

Even in bb10 when you install google services(cobalts) this google crap is running always even when there is not apps requiring it.

Between security and freedom/control, I will chose the second, with bb10 and clean android apps I am quite happy but a bad OS let bad wrong developers/companies create the **** they want, and this is android world

Posted via CB10
    If you pay for G Suite, Google will not use your information for directed advertising.
    05-20-17 08:32 AM
    Me too!

Posted via CB10
    05-21-17 09:47 PM
    This is not only about using my data, but also about controlling which apps are running and stop what I don't like.
    In conclusion it is about having the control of the device.
    I remember the complete lack of control regarding permissions and apps in previous android versions, they corrected but probably only because ios has it.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 09:20 AM
    This is not only about using my data, but also about controlling which apps are running and stop what I don't like.
    In conclusion it is about having the control of the device.
    I remember the complete lack of control regarding permissions and apps in previous android versions, they corrected but probably only because ios has it.

Posted via CB10
    Your "control" is whether to install a particular app or not. It's fair enough to allow it to function as the developer intended. If you don't like it, uninstall it, and choose something else that better fits your needs.
    05-22-17 05:01 PM
    they corrected but probably only because ios has it.
    Is the why really relevant?
    05-22-17 08:38 PM
    Then I guess the whole security angle is sort of cooked? Is that what you are saying? Does everyone really use an EMM like Good? What about intrusion through apps and the like?
    BlackBerry themselves are out there selling MDM as good enough security for most uses in govt and regulated industries. They are saying "buy our software and then your iOS and Android devices will be secure"
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-22-17 08:48 PM
    BlackBerry themselves are out there selling MDM as good enough security for most uses in govt and regulated industries. They are saying "buy our software and then your iOS and Android devices will be secure"
    Considering the app requirements of everything but the most super secure installations, is there any other option?
    05-22-17 10:30 PM
    Considering the app requirements of everything but the most super secure installations, is there any other option?
    No, I think BlackBerry is doing the right thing leaving BB10 in the past and applying their security experience to other things.

Investors are voting with their $ in enthusiastic support for where they are headed.
    BigBadWulf and anon(9803228) like this.
    05-22-17 10:34 PM
    Yes! Bolster by buying KEYᵒⁿᵉ devices from BlackBerry Mobile!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-22-17 10:34 PM
    Yes! Bolster by buying KEYᵒⁿᵉ devices from BlackBerry Mobile!

I think AD and I were talking beyond general public, and your response was to...
    05-22-17 10:37 PM
    This.

And you can stop almost nothing that is sent to google via the data collection options, just a fraction of what is sent.
    But the good thing about google is that they tell you quite honestly that they collect everything , and their services are very handy.

Even when taking that to account, I will never use an operating system made by a advertising company, never, ever, ever.
    +1

Its possible to block almost everything sent to Google, and from other apps with a VPN firewall like NetGuard, which can block out-going data to the point of de-Googling Android devices. But it takes some configuring, and for most users it's a faff. (No paid VPN service is needed.)

If you look at your Google Dashboard (or the NetGuard logs) you can see some of what is being collected. I drew the line at both Microsoft and Google plonking Amazon deliveries and medical appointments in my calendar by scanning my email. (It can be disabled in Google and Outlook calendars.)

There is supposed to be one more BB10 update in 2017, and sure, I agree that a new secure BB10 dual-sim tough-phone would be great for us die-hards who don't want their entire lives trawled by profit making companies (and the tabloid media.)

But two billion FaceBook and 1.2 billion WhatsApp users disagree. :-)

Till a new BB10 device arrives sometime never, there's plenty of people on here stockpiling Passports and Q/Z phones. They're mocked even on CrackBerry for being 'tin-foil hatters ' but those devices are still very useful for enterprise and security-aware users even without MDM.

So I'd also buy a new BB10 phone, but not a BlackDroid.

NetGuard for Android victims is in the Play Store. Developer spiel here:

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard
    dmlis likes this.
    05-23-17 01:50 AM
    A true successor of the Z30 would be nice. A 5.5 4k amoled display fortified with gorilla glass 5, IP68 rating, dust proff and oleophobic coated. Two front facing stereo speakers with dolby. Dual camera set up included. Battery of at least 3500mv. Snapdragon 835 with Bluetooth v5, NFC etc. Software wise the phone must run on the promised BB10.3.4 out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-17 07:01 AM
    A true successor of the Z30 would be nice. A 5.5 4k amoled display fortified with gorilla glass 5, IP68 rating, dust proff and oleophobic coated. Two front facing stereo speakers with dolby. Dual camera set up included. Battery of at least 3500mv. Snapdragon 835 with Bluetooth v5, NFC etc. Software wise the phone must run on the promised BB10.3.4 out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    That looks like a lot like a Dtek60.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    05-23-17 08:04 AM
    OP, that is a Jesus phone. It is amazing to see all of cry wolf about lack of apps few years back, and now everyone on Google play with all the apps to your hearts desire, but a lot just want back to accept the lack of apps without ads day. It is like you just finished buffet dinner, with all the regrets. A bit too late for all the good BB engineering team that put out the fantastic job, but all got handed pink slips. Give the customer what they want as Chen did, (not S. Jobs, he gave them something they don't even know they wish for it), maybe not a good thing. Lesson learned for new BBM.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-17 10:08 AM
    IMHO is a key point.
    The lack of control of permissions on previous android versions shows how incomplete or bad designed was the OS that now is ruling

In that way BB was much more profesional or just fair with customers/users.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-17 04:46 AM
    IMHO is a key point.
    The lack of control of permissions on previous android versions shows how incomplete or bad designed was the OS that now is ruling

In that way BB was much more profesional or just fair with customers/users.
    Or... maybe it showed that Google much better understood the priorities needed to make a platform successful FIRST, and improving security later. BB's method of securing first and seeking success second didn't seem to work out very well for them. The security of an unsuccessful platform is irrelevant - relevance comes with success.
    05-28-17 05:24 PM
    Nope. Google had datamining and advertising to pay for the "free OS". Ignorant (yes ignorant because not even Sergey Brin knows how that data is going to be used against you or him in the future) people who didn't make enough money to afford paying the price of an honest product rushed to use it.
    That's how Google won the market.
    Sure, you can argue they understood human nature, but not that they designed a better product.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat and dmlis like this.
    05-28-17 07:03 PM
314 1234 ...