So, many signs show that BB10 is on its last leg, I'm sure Chen is not going to pull the plug any time soon but the slow down in BB10 development and receiving updates that doesn't add any new features to BB10 is, at least to me means BB10 is dead.

What I was wondering about, when that time comes, will Blackberry provide poor souls with BB10 hardware to replace BB10 with Android?

We've already seen a leaked video with the Passport SE running Android before, is it possible or are we going to live the Playbook days again?

I'm asking simply because BB H\W is tough enough to outlive BB10's slow and painful death and I'm sure many of us are going to want a way out.

Cheers.
    02-18-16 11:29 AM
    It will never happen. There is no return on that investment.
    JeepBB and Rello like this.
    02-18-16 11:36 AM
    I understand that they need to shift more devices and services to maintain a healthy business but giving us the finger is gonna sting.
    02-18-16 11:55 AM
    I understand that they need to shift more devices and services to maintain a healthy business but giving us the finger is gonna sting.
    Our BB10 devices will continue to work as designed.

You just can't fit a square peg into a round hole.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-18-16 12:09 PM
    Our BB10 devices will continue to work as designed.

You just can't fit a square peg into a round hole.
    Or a rectangular OS onto a square screen. Not many Devs, even existing Android Devs, would be willing to recode for a new aspect ratio with practically no ROI.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    02-18-16 12:49 PM
    Or a rectangular OS onto a square screen. Not many Devs, even existing Android Devs, would be willing to recode for a new aspect ratio with practically no ROI.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    According to the Project Lead for Material Design, MD is supposed to take of that so devs don't have to worry about.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-16 01:27 PM
    I'd like to keep my bb10 and android apps working as they are doing now but if supposing that the worst disaster scenario could happen.

Maybe the community should organize a project to port CYANOGEN MOD, UBUNTU or sailfish(probably this one is not a big advance).

I'd be glad to support with money this type of alternative, so crownfunding could help us to keep our devices updated.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by dpgo; 02-19-16 at 07:52 AM.
    02-18-16 04:15 PM
    It would be great if nobody posted about bb10 being dead until it is actually dead. Otherwise I end up reading threads that contain no facts.

I have all the apps I need on my Z10. I need band 12 LTE on Tmobile. Give me the Z50. I want a slab of plastic that I can put a tranform case around and a tempered glass protector. Paratek antenna.

Posted via CB10
    McPato007 and skinnymike1 like this.
    02-18-16 07:55 PM
    According to the Project Lead for Material Design, MD is supposed to take of that so devs don't have to worry about.
    Even before MD, Android's app development environment had good ways of managing different resolutions and screen shape issues. That doesn't change the fact that that virtually all apps are laid out for a rectangular screen and that they won't fit properly on a square screen. Sure, the screen can scroll and technically function in most cases, but that's not the same thing, by far, as being optimized to work on a square screen. That would require different layouts and, often, different app designs to accommodate the reduced screen area.
    02-18-16 09:54 PM
    It would be great if nobody posted about bb10 being dead until it is actually dead. Otherwise I end up reading threads that contain no facts.

I have all the apps I need on my Z10. I need band 12 LTE on Tmobile. Give me the Z50. I want a slab of plastic that I can put a tranform case around and a tempered glass protector. Paratek antenna.

Posted via CB10
    Not gonna happen because... BB10 is dead.
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/02...share-gartner/

*A3-A20
    02-18-16 11:55 PM
    Not gonna happen because... BB10 is dead.
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/02...share-gartner/

*A3-A20
    Except that isn't information from BlackBerry. Do you understand how hard it is to kill a product? AOL dialup still exists. MySpace still exists. QNX isn't going away.

Again, predicts are really just opinions, which like bodily orifices, everybody has one. But opinions/predictions are not the same as someone speaking with authority.

Again, these life after bb10 threads are useless.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-16 03:47 AM
    Except that isn't information from BlackBerry. Do you understand how hard it is to kill a product? AOL dialup still exists. MySpace still exists. QNX isn't going away.

Again, predicts are really just opinions, which like bodily orifices, everybody has one. But opinions/predictions are not the same as someone speaking with authority.

Posted via CB10
    Except that the original source is quite credible and aren't based on opinions/predictions.

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3215217

Numbers don't lie.

*C5303
    02-19-16 04:42 AM
    I am confident people will be using their BlackBerry phones up to the point that they meet the individual's requirements. I recently purchased my BlackBerry Passport SE knowing full well the current state of BB10. My workplace supports iPhones and BB10 devices, and after buying a 6S for my daughter went with the Passport. I am getting use to the physical keyboard again after a year on the Z30. The touch sensitive nature of the keyboard is fantastic and I am glad that I can swipe up to select words.

The screen width makes it easier to look at engineering drawings and pdfs as well as simplifies editing documents. This is the best device I have owned since my Newton MessagePad 2000!

Posted via CB10
    McPato007 and FF22 like this.
    02-19-16 06:30 AM
    I am happy with bb10 os and I will keep using it.
    However I think having alternatives is always good, so my question for the BlackBerry hackers is.

Could the rom/firmware be written with other OS?
    How complex would be to have Cyanogen Mod or Ubuntu ported to BB10 hardware?

As BlackBerry Hardware is limited in number, the amount of drivers to support is not so huge than supporting all android device brands. Anyway I wish BlackBerry supporting BB10 os for a long time because companies spent too much money buying their corporative devices.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-16 07:58 AM
    I am happy with bb10 os and I will keep using it.
    However I think having alternatives is always good, so my question for the BlackBerry hackers is.

Could the rom/firmware be written with other OS?
    How complex would be to have Cyanogen Mod or Ubuntu ported to BB10 hardware?

As BlackBerry Hardware is limited in number, the amount of drivers to support is not so huge than supporting all android device brands. Anyway I wish BlackBerry supporting BB10 os for a long time because companies spent too much money buying their corporative devices.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry hardware is encoded to only accept software signed by BlackBerry.
    02-19-16 08:09 AM
    I am confident people will be using their BlackBerry phones up to the point that they meet the individual's requirements. I recently purchased my BlackBerry Passport SE knowing full well the current state of BB10. My workplace supports iPhones and BB10 devices, and after buying a 6S for my daughter went with the Passport. I am getting use to the physical keyboard again after a year on the Z30. The touch sensitive nature of the keyboard is fantastic and I am glad that I can swipe up to select words.

The screen width makes it easier to look at engineering drawings and pdfs as well as simplifies editing documents. This is the best device I have owned since my Newton MessagePad 2000!

Posted via CB10
    BBOS has continued to existing for a number of years without much in the way of support....

But I doubt BB10 will last as long... in general. The guys that say that don't need apps will be fine with BB10 until technology changes like G5 networks come into play in a few years. But for the App users.... eventually developer will remove support for per 4.3 Android devices and /or we may loose access to Google Play outright. Anyone hoping to get 3 years out of a smartphone is taking a change with a BB10 device today.

Many here are hoping the Passport makes it to Android....
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-19-16 01:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    lol I don't know man....If you have to resort to comparing it to AOL, its definitely dead. It may not be discontinued, but its definitely dead unless we get lucky and Chen announces new BB10 hardware next year
    02-19-16 01:20 PM
    Even before MD, Android's app development environment had good ways of managing different resolutions and screen shape issues. That doesn't change the fact that that virtually all apps are laid out for a rectangular screen and that they won't fit properly on a square screen. Sure, the screen can scroll and technically function in most cases, but that's not the same thing, by far, as being optimized to work on a square screen. That would require different layouts and, often, different app designs to accommodate the reduced screen area.
    All one has to consider here is the fact that Google can't even get Android apps working right on their own hardware. See: Pixel C. They still flip flop from being a phone app to a tablet app lol.
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    02-19-16 02:09 PM
    lol I don't know man....If you have to resort to comparing it to AOL, its definitely dead. It may not be discontinued, but its definitely dead unless we get lucky and Chen announces new BB10 hardware next year
    I kinda missed that old "you've got mail", after I spent 10 minutes booting my pc, then connecting with dial-up to AOL.
    xtremeled likes this.
    02-19-16 02:47 PM
    I kinda missed that old "you've got mail", after I spent 10 minutes booting my pc, then connecting with dial-up to AOL.
    Don't you miss:

middbrew and anon(8063781) like this.
    02-19-16 03:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    .2% If you had .2% of a heartbeat, You'd be dead. It's dead. It'll never be anything close to what it was.The missteps this company made should be criminal. Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. Congratulations Blackberry, You screwed to pooch.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-19-16 08:52 PM
    .2% If you had .2% of a heartbeat, You'd be dead. It's dead. It'll never be anything close to what it was.The missteps this company made should be criminal. Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. Congratulations Blackberry, You screwed to pooch.
    There isn't much you can do if the carriers won't sell your phones. But the question isn't market share as much as the base. That is, the smart phone market keeps increasing, and for the most part, those are Android phones. But can BlackBerry make a go of it as a small piece of the market?

Do you realize there are still programs running in. Cobol and Fortran? It is really hard to outright kill any technology. Now Palm and Symbian are gone, but the didn't have something like QNX to kee them going.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-16 10:50 PM
    There isn't much you can do if the carriers won't sell your phones. But the question isn't market share as much as the base. That is, the smart phone market keeps increasing, and for the most part, those are Android phones. But can BlackBerry make a go of it as a small piece of the market?

Do you realize there are still programs running in. Cobol and Fortran? It is really hard to outright kill any technology. Now Palm and Symbian are gone, but the didn't have something like QNX to kee them going.

Posted via CB10
    I hate to tell you this cause you sound like a BB die hard fan. .2% is not a small piece of the market. .2% is a margin of error. I know people that have XP but they'll switch. The next time they have a problem or it crashes. They'll switch because there is no support.
    02-20-16 12:05 AM
    Don't you miss:

I just want to punch the 1990's in the face.
    02-20-16 02:37 AM
    The BB10 devices are working properly and shall continue to work as long as service support is available . Blackberry will support OS10 through 2016 and we have to see what happens next. I am not too much bothered about what happens next . The words of wisdom by Bill Keane is quite evident "Yesterday is history , tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift and it is called present."
    02-20-16 03:26 AM
43 12