LOVE MY LEAP!
    Love Hub, word flick, swipe delete & battery power.

So how long can I expect to use it for phone,text, email and basic apps. Don't need latest "FART" app
    Hopefully BB Link will not disappear.

Thanks Bob
    11-23-19 06:53 AM
    LOVE MY LEAP!

So how long can I expect to use it for phone,text, email and basic apps. Don't need latest "FART" app

Thanks Bob
    Officially until 12/31/2019 since there’s no official announcement with a specific date. BB updated answer could have been more specific if they really cared
    11-23-19 07:01 AM
    LOVE MY LEAP!

Thanks Bob
    until you are done with it... the only infrastructure it interacts with is BBID/Protect. No way BB would brick millions of devices still used in the wild.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    11-23-19 07:46 AM
    until you are done with it... the only infrastructure it interacts with is BBID/Protect. No way BB would brick millions of devices still used in the wild.
    A few hundred thousand.

But you're right - they won't simply shut it off for no reason. They just won't spend resources fixing things if they break.
    11-23-19 07:49 AM
    The point has never been if BlackBerry would intentionally brick devices. The backend at some physically breaks down. Unless there’s a need to keep it running on the BB end, what incentive do they have to spend actual money to keep it running? As my original comment said, BB very easily could say, we’ll support backend services one year, three years or some other time amount. BB specifically announced EOL date, clarified some discrepancies with some circular statement non-statement.

Basically stated backend will function until it doesn’t. It’s clearly noncommittal. The amount of BB10 hardware sold was in the millions in total. Vast majority of that isn’t being used anymore but again, declaring EOL suggests BB doesn’t care. It’s exited the business three years ago.
    11-23-19 07:56 AM
    A few hundred thousand.

But you're right - they won't simply shut it off for no reason. They just won't spend resources fixing things if they break.
    BB10\bbos im sure there is a couple million of devices?
    11-23-19 09:57 AM
    BB10\bbos im sure there is a couple million of devices?
    The information I have is that there are only a couple hundred thousand of each. And by that, I mean active primary devices.

There are easily more than a million working devices for sure - I have about 7 myself. Lol.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-23-19 09:58 AM
    The point has never been if BlackBerry would intentionally brick devices. The backend at some physically breaks down. Unless there’s a need to keep it running on the BB end, what incentive do they have to spend actual money to keep it running? As my original comment said, BB very easily could say, we’ll support backend services one year, three years or some other time amount. BB specifically announced EOL date, clarified some discrepancies with some circular statement non-statement.

Basically stated backend will function until it doesn’t. It’s clearly noncommittal. The amount of BB10 hardware sold was in the millions in total. Vast majority of that isn’t being used anymore but again, declaring EOL suggests BB doesn’t care. It’s exited the business three years ago.
    they did not specifically say that the end of 2019 would be the end.

"We want to reward your loyalty by committing to providing you with at least two full years of additional support for BB10 and at least two full years of BlackBerry network access for BBOS devices"
    11-23-19 09:59 AM
    The information I have is that there are only a couple hundred thousand of each. And by that, I mean active primary devices.

There are easily more than a million working devices for sure - I have about 7 myself. Lol.
    dunno in their press release where they said there would be atleast two more years of support they claimed there are still "millions" of people actively using BB10 and BBOS devices.... could easily be a PR spin I guess..
    11-23-19 10:06 AM
    dunno in their press release where they said there would be atleast two more years of support they claimed there are still "millions" of people actively using BB10 and BBOS devices.... could easily be a PR spin I guess..
    BB10 will officially be EOL on 12-31-19. That has not changed. BlackBerry Limited said they would keep some backend services still running for some unspecified time. As to numbers, there might be over a million if you add BB10 and BB0s together. I am sure the vast majority of the number is older BBOS phones. The remaining BBOS will fall dramatically as 2G and 3G networks are shut down and most providers stop offering BIS.

I assume BlackBerry decided keeping the services running was less expensive than releasing an EOL BB10 update to break the reliance on the backend services.

The update route had a lot of challenges. The testing requirements alone was going to be very expensive. If they missed a bug, lots of bad PR. The current plan is not very expensive and can let everything just quietly fade away as usage declines.
    Last edited by eshropshire; 11-23-19 at 03:22 PM.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-23-19 02:55 PM

There are many legacy Enterprise services more complex than BBID/Blackberry Protect that companies maintain for years and years because they essentially cost nothing to maintain. BB10 has been static for years, so other than hardware failure or some untested load scenario, it's unclear what would disrupt it. The most likely loss scenario would be either accidental disruption or collateral damage from some larger cyber event. Either might spell the end for those services.

I also think it's possible we may see a final OS update that allows users to bypass the BBID requirements on their handsets. At one point a final OS update for BB10 was on a road map I saw for this year, and I assumed it was for exactly that purpose.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    11-23-19 03:21 PM
    Don't need latest "FART" app
    Your joke wasn’t funny 10 years ago, and it’s still not funny now.
    11-23-19 03:57 PM
    There are many legacy Enterprise services more complex than BBID/Blackberry Protect that companies maintain for years and years because they essentially cost nothing to maintain. BB10 has been static for years, so other than hardware failure or some untested load scenario, it's unclear what would disrupt it. The most likely loss scenario would be either accidental disruption or collateral damage from some larger cyber event. Either might spell the end for those services.

I also think it's possible we may see a final OS update that allows users to bypass the BBID requirements on their handsets. At one point a final OS update for BB10 was on a road map I saw for this year, and I assumed it was for exactly that purpose.

The BB10/PlayBook BBID infrastructure failed 3 times this year alone - the last of which took over a week to fix.
    11-23-19 03:58 PM

I have 8 different BB10 hardware.
    11-23-19 03:59 PM
    The BB10/PlayBook BBID infrastructure failed 3 times this year alone - the last of which took over a week to fix.
    I only remember a single event affecting BB10, the first I can ever recalls. The PlayBook ones were subsequent to the BB10 fix. Am I misremembering?

In any case, my point was the cost of maintenance assuming no breakage. If the system is fragile, I agree it won't be maintained for very long.

11-23-19 04:06 PM
    Actually the last Playbook took over 4 weeks to fix and was only acknowledged once midway through and no fix was promised.
    11-23-19 04:10 PM
    isnt bbid used for BBMe too?
    11-23-19 04:47 PM
    BB10 will officially be EOL on 12-31-19. That has not changed. BlackBerry Limited said they would keep some backend services still running for some unspecified time. As to numbers, there might be over a million if you add BB10 and BB0s together. I am sure the vast majority of the number is older BBOS phones. The remaining BBOS will fall dramatically as 2G and 3G networks are shut down and most providers stop offering BIS.

I assume BlackBerry decided keeping the services running was less expensive than releasing an EOL BB10 update to break the reliance on the backend services.

The update route had a lot of challenges. The testing requirements alone was going to be very expensive. If they missed a bug, lots of bad PR. The current plan is not very expensive and can let everything just quietly fade away as usage declines.

How does at least two full years of additional support for BB10 compute to BB10 will officially be EOL on 12-31-19...... you and I have different understandings of at least.
    11-23-19 04:49 PM
    isnt bbid used for BBMe too?
    Yes. But clearly there are delineations in its infrastructure. It has gone down for some platforms independent of the others.
    11-23-19 05:03 PM
    How does at least two full years of additional support for BB10 compute to BB10 will officially be EOL on 12-31-19...... you and I have different understandings of at least.
    That was written in Dec 2017.

BlackBerry announces at least another two years of support for BB10 and BBOS users https://www.crackberry.com/blackberr...and-bbos-users
    11-23-19 05:03 PM
    That was written in Dec 2017.

BlackBerry announces at least another two years of support for BB10 and BBOS users https://www.crackberry.com/blackberr...and-bbos-users
    [IMG=540x810]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191123/bcb0ffaa593b338f6bf8d8fa1ce0e0b2.jpg[/url]
    I'm aware... At least does not mean does not mean BB10 will officially be EOL on 12-31-19... it means it will be in support at least until 12-31-19 could be 5 years longer or could be 01-10-20. If they make any kind of money from it I would assume it would live on.
    11-23-19 05:08 PM
    I'm aware... At least does not mean does not mean BB10 will officially be EOL on 12-31-19... it means it will be in support at least until 12-31-19 could be 5 years longer or could be 01-10-20. If they make any kind of money from it I would assume it would live on.
    No. Look at my photo from the BlackBerry support website. EOL Dec 2019.

Back end services will not be shut down immediately however.
    11-23-19 05:11 PM
    I stand corrected.

However this does "seem" indicate that the operation of bb10 will continue:

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/sup...ort-life-cycle

* The EOL designation only applies to the operating system software and applications contained within. It is not intended to indicate that the back-end infrastructure that provides services to these devices are in an EOL state.
    11-23-19 05:17 PM
    I stand corrected.

However this does "seem" indicate that the operation of bb10 will continue:

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/sup...ort-life-cycle

* The EOL designation only applies to the operating system software and applications contained within. It is not intended to indicate that the back-end infrastructure that provides services to these devices are in an EOL state.
    Yes. That's what we've been discussing. Clearly the back-end services won't be shut down at midnight. But without an actual commitment, what does that mean? Like I said, services will likely continue until major issues are encountered, employment contracts expire, or 3rd party vendor commitments expire.
    11-23-19 05:24 PM
    It's important to note that, as far as we know, there is no new revenue associated with support for BB10, though there may be some extended licensing for BB's legacy enterprise services to provide business justification for continued back-end service support.

But, in the absence of significant revenue, if it becomes a hassle to support the back end of BB10, BlackBerry Limited may shut it down.

On the other hand, if it's stable, low-risk and inexpensive, we could enjoy a long slow ride into the sunset of BB10.

I can see myself using BB10 until the radio bands no longer work or batteries are no longer available. It's that good for me.

bb9900user2018 and dmlis like this.
    11-23-19 06:00 PM
63 123