I know I don't speak on behalf of every CrackBerry member, but with the looming threat of a sale of BlackBerry still in the cards, I wonder what that will mean for those of us invested in BlackBerry 10 devices. What kind of continued support, if any, would the new owners provide? Would OS10 continue to evolve, or would it be dropped as harshly as the PlayBook was? Would they retain the BlackBerry branding? Hopefully not some hyphenated insult like Sony-Ericsson wore for years. I have to admit, the whole thing stinks to high heaven and makes me emotional. I don't want an Android, Apple, or Windows phone. I want BlackBerry to stay in the game, and I want the same class that has accompanied their devices for over a decade. With so much money wasted on things everyday, from several billion dollar Osprey aircrafts that the president most likely will never use to misused campaign funds and NSA resources to spy on old lovers, you figure someone would be able to afford to throw them a life line. They have a gem in BlackBerry 10, it's just a matter of getting the right people and the right backing to put it out in plain sight.

I used my Z10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    V22, moody, LuisCast and 2 others like this.
    08-30-13 07:54 PM
    Its a question on many peoples minds but I think you cant find one answer to fit the question. It will just depend on the buyer if that even ever happens
    08-30-13 08:01 PM
    While BlackBerry is still exploring strategic alternatives, BlackBerry?s India managing director Sunil Lalvani says the company is not for sale, BUT http://blackberryempire.com/blackber...-remain-usual/

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 08:55 PM
    People have been waiting for BlackBerry to die for at least 4 years now. At this point it's reasonable to believe they aren't going anywhere. They are still going business as usual, doing developer conferences and working on the software. When this stops then get worried.

Posted via CB10
    bigjman and moody like this.
    08-31-13 10:04 AM
    I know I don't speak on behalf of every CrackBerry member, but with the looming threat of a sale of BlackBerry still in the cards, I wonder what that will mean for those of us invested in BlackBerry 10 devices. What kind of continued support, if any, would the new owners provide? Would OS10 continue to evolve, or would it be dropped as harshly as the PlayBook was? Would they retain the BlackBerry branding? Hopefully not some hyphenated insult like Sony-Ericsson wore for years. I have to admit, the whole thing stinks to high heaven and makes me emotional. I don't want an Android, Apple, or Windows phone. I want BlackBerry to stay in the game, and I want the same class that has accompanied their devices for over a decade. With so much money wasted on things everyday, from several billion dollar Osprey aircrafts that the president most likely will never use to misused campaign funds and NSA resources to spy on old lovers, you figure someone would be able to afford to throw them a life line. They have a gem in BlackBerry 10, it's just a matter of getting the right people and the right backing to put it out in plain sight.

BlackBerry ain't going anywhere lol. Any change will be to further the company, not break it up. If the unthinkable happens, Jolla sailfish is coming soon so you don't need Apple or Android.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 Uk
    08-31-13 02:36 PM
    I'm by no means a walking billboard for BlackBerry, but I love all of my BlackBerry stuff, past and present (although I put my PlayBook in a corner for time-out) because they have always produced high end and lovable products. The branded accessories have equally been insane, and the list of what I own in accessories is both staggering and stupefying. Can the same be said about Apple, Android, or Windows phones? Not likely. So who would we turn to as a Plan B if BlackBerry was no more? Those are some big *** shoes to fill.

08-31-13 05:34 PM
    I'm by no means a walking billboard for BlackBerry, but I love all of my BlackBerry stuff, past and present (although I put my PlayBook in a corner for time-out) because they have always produced high end and lovable products. The branded accessories have equally been insane, and the list of what I own in accessories is both staggering and stupefying. Can the same be said about Apple, Android, or Windows phones? Not likely. So who would we turn to as a Plan B if BlackBerry was no more? Those are some big *** shoes to fill.

Jolla sailfish, good looking UI, smooth gesture based OS and access to Android apps via QQ. BlackBerry is my preferred device, but Sailfish is my back up plan.

kiddoo24 likes this.
    08-31-13 06:42 PM
    Here's hoping they don't. My employer (bank) is moving to bb10 next month after months of testing. Android and iPhone security still isn't up to BlackBerry standards to protect customer data.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 06:56 PM
    Gonna keep my eye out for Sailfish. Ubuntu Edge was my Plan B if it actually happened, but I knew that was a pipe dream. I will say that Samsung's Tizen and Firefox OS phones are not in line with what BlackBerry users expect. Not to mention Samsung competing against Android is gonna be a HUGE mess. Talk about biting the hand that fed you (billions).

08-31-13 06:57 PM
    Gonna keep my eye out for Sailfish. Ubuntu Edge was my Plan B if it actually happened, but I knew that was a pipe dream. I will say that Samsung's Tizen and Firefox OS phones are not in line with what BlackBerry users expect. Not to mention Samsung competing against Android is gonna be a HUGE mess. Talk about biting the hand that fed you (billions).

I agree. Seriously though, if BlackBerry was going to stop operating, surely they'd halt marketing, R & D, software updates, manufacturing, development of new devices etc. They're fine, they've just been making millions instead of the projected billions and as a result, the share price is in the toilet. The next quarter will be disappointing too, then we should see some growth in the following quarter. Check out this vid.
    Watch this video.
    Shared using FastTube BB10 app!

08-31-13 07:13 PM
    Okay. The way things look right now, BlackBerry Mobile phone manufacturing division may eventually shutter it's doors. We will see the Z30, but that may be the last.

When depends on what point they decide developing new models is no longer worth the cost.

Should this happen, all you can probably expect are OS security updates.

Given that BlackBerry has entered into contracts for the Supply of Mobile Device Management devices for the US Government, they will have to support their devices for whatever period they agreed on the contract.

http://bgr.com/2013/08/08/blackberry...ment-networks/

Other BlackBerry services will continue to expect either under BlackBerry or some other company.

If you are looking at the next two years I think the worse case scenario is:

1. Your current BlackBerry will receive support till the end of 2015.

2. The app development on BlackBerry World will slow down or and eventually stop.

This will happen if BlackBerry stockholders decide to cut their losses and conserve remaining cash, sell off the profitable parts of the business and shutter the rest.

Basically, your device will work for the remainder of its time with you, after which you will need to move to something else on your next contract cycle.

This is not something I would worry about too much. Now if you are the type who needs the latest social apps or games, this platform was a bad bet from the start, and you should not have expected it to hit parity with iOS or Android in the next two years, even if sales had been good.

Or who knows, BlackBerry may decide to do a Apple or Nokia, throw a Hail Mary pass and decide to burn through its cash over the next 2-3 years and go for broke.

Posted from my Zed 10
    Last edited by Robin Lim; 09-05-13 at 12:14 AM.
    rjpawlak likes this.
    08-31-13 09:21 PM
    No. I have owned BlackBerry since 2006. I didn't jump on board for the latest apps. I fell in love with a brand and never read a single review when buying one of their products. No need to. They don't make crappy products. I just look for whatever phone has what I need, make sure it says BlackBerry, and sign on the dotted line. They have earned my trust and my business, and currently there is no other mobile company capable of that.

russworman likes this.
    08-31-13 09:40 PM
    I could see them exiting the full touch business but they would keep the keyboard models alive I think.

If that happens I would hope they make bb10 available for other open devices. Even if it doesn't come out of the box make it available for download for a small fee on a few certified devices.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 11:56 PM
    No. I have owned BlackBerry since 2006. I didn't jump on board for the latest apps. I fell in love with a brand and never read a single review when buying one of their products. No need to. They don't make crappy products. I just look for whatever phone has what I need, make sure it says BlackBerry, and sign on the dotted line. They have earned my trust and my business, and currently there is no other mobile company capable of that.

Let's just enjoy it while we still have it than, and maybe on your next contract renewal you may have to move to something else. Keep your fingers crossed, and maybe we will be having this discussion again in two years time.

Posted from my Zed 10
    09-01-13 07:02 AM
    Just feels like the end of an era with all this pessimistic talk about BlackBerry and their options. I had hoped they would be around long enough for me to be able to give my children their first BlackBerry. My oldest is ten, but that's still too young to really appreciate what owning a BlackBerry means. I am going to stick by their side until the end (I will be buying the Z30 at full retail price), but I hope at some point things even out and eventually we can stop having grim outlook conversations about the fate of BlackBerry. That is what TV news does every day; report less about positive things and more about the negative. The world seems to be driven on fear and sadness. They need a BlackBerry.

09-01-13 07:36 AM

It goes both ways. Samsung helped Google catch up to Apple by increasing Android phone market share and also made billions from Ads.
    09-01-13 08:03 AM
    The Japanese used to be the technology kings of the world. I've noticed that Korea is cranking out automobiles, appliances, and many other types of electronics that are really good. They're very subtle about their progression to a dominating position worldwide, but they still lack the solidity and dependability of products such as BlackBerry. Look up Nexus 7 online for instance. It was successful only because Asus built it. Samsung's mobile offerings are usually acceptable in reviews, with gimmicks to sell them like the Note had. But BlackBerry earned the reputation they have for low failure rates, regular updates, and being something that a serious consumer takes pride in WITHOUT pandering to the trendy crowd. Most BlackBerry owners baby their phones like a classic car. Do you know how many Apple and Android products I've seen that look like they have been beaten to hell as if they were a gambler that owed a loan shark a ton of money? Very seldom is that the case in the BlackBerry universe. We treat our devices as good as we do our women.

robkd likes this.
    09-01-13 12:51 PM
    Kevin, you did a splendid job of keeping the magic alive as long as possible. Being on CB felt like the good old days never ended. I appreciate your candor too when it came to dispensing the truth and exposing some hard to swallow info. Looks like there is an EOL in place, so I guess we just need to hear what that means for us in the long term.

BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    09-04-13 06:25 PM
    The parallels are just sickening. The only other company I saw rise and fall this fast on a reboot did the same damn thing and sold themselves to a larger company only to be snuffed out by said company in an absolutely undignified manner. This is not the way we were meant to be remembered.

BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    09-04-13 06:33 PM
    Btw, it was SonyEricsson not hyphenated. Nor was it an insult because Ericsson made networks completely through and through and platforms for cell phones while Sony did the design work around the hardware. This was very profitable for 4/6yrs. Now it's Sony and their guns blazing - Ericsson got back with inflation every dollar they paid into the partnership.

So it wasn't a fail or insult. Please do research before spreading mis information when it comes to the competition.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 11:40 PM
    Kevin, you did a splendid job of keeping the magic alive as long as possible. Being on CB felt like the good old days never ended. I appreciate your candor too when it came to dispensing the truth and exposing some hard to swallow info. Looks like there is an EOL in place, so I guess we just need to hear what that means for us in the long term.

To be honest, the possibility of a EOL in there foreseeable future should have been apparent to all BlackBerry 10 buyers. I got my Z10 with the knowledge that it would be the first device of a revival or the last BlackBerry I would buy. It's my first BlackBerry. I have no regrets.

Posted from my Zed 10
    09-05-13 12:16 AM
    Yeah but I really thought BlackBerry 10 was a 'going for broke' venture, and instead of an all in push, they half assed it. Look here if you need more proof http://www.webpronews.com/why-didnt-...o-video-2proof . And as for Sony Ericsson (my apologies for the inclusion of a hyphenation; I thought it was a JOINT venture, but it appears it was more of a mash-up) , their phones were ok but ridiculously overpriced, especially the Symbian models. That's why they didn't sell well in the States, and if you do your research, Sony Ericsson spiked for only two years (2006-2007) and then crashed horribly. By 2009, thousands of jobs were lost and facilities were closed under the Sony Ericsson label. Their main market was India, but outside of that, hemorrhaging money all over the place. Sony ended it by purchasing Ericsson s stake in the company (2011-2012) to end the embarrassment and start over as just Sony. That's research. I'm sure you wanted to remember it being better than it really was, and I'll be guilty of the same thing with BlackBerry years from now telling stories to my kids.

09-05-13 05:28 AM

Actually apple and android have probably amounted far more accessories than blackberry. Like said earlier i will wait for the fat lady but blackberry is non existent in the consumer realm when compared to the former two. Its the enterprise that might be worried but with Samsung and their security approved by DoD there are alternatives that's no longer make bes the only solution. The truth is blackberry is a very small company compared to the major players so being a niche Co might allow them to maintain enterprise clients and provide more services without having to pander to consumers whom blackberry is having the hardest time attract...who knows

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    09-05-13 06:48 AM
    Shadow of their former self. It would make a better film than "Jobs" to see what the heck went wrong. Mike Lazaridis could be played by John Goodman, and Jim Balsillie could be played by Kevin Spacey. That would be a DAMN good movie!

09-05-13 08:15 AM
    The impression I got was the stockholders wanted to look at strategic alternatives earlier and Thors was able to negotiate for "let's see if the BlackBerry 10 launch is a success". The target appeared to be about 4 million BlackBerry 10 handsets.

As I understand it while both BlackBerry 10 and Samsung Knox are approved for DoD use, only BlackBerry is approved ad a MDM tool. I think that is what one board member was talking about with BlackBerry going after a niche market .

Posted from my Zed 10
    09-05-13 08:50 AM
76 123 ...