What does third even mean, when the front two cars already finished the race an hour ago?
    Other than the obvious fallacy in your analogy (people enter car races all the time even knowing they won't place), you're not saying that there should be only two suppliers in any market? Two car makers, two phone companies? By that logic we shouldn't even have the Keyone, there should just be Samsung and whoever number two is.

If you want to buy products or services based on who is number one or two based on some metric that's your choice. But sometimes there are people who are not well served by the market leaders precisely because of what they have done to their products to become market leaders. Sometimes there are even companies that will cater to the small market because they are able to turn a profit.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    elfabio80 and DetritalGeo like this.
    07-09-17 12:27 PM
    Other than the obvious fallacy in your analogy (people enter car races all the time even knowing they won't place), you're not saying that there should be only two suppliers in any market? Two car makers, two phone companies? By that logic we shouldn't even have the Keyone, there should just be Samsung and whoever number two is.

If you want to buy products or services based on who is number one or two based on some metric that's your choice. But sometimes there are people who are not well served by the market leaders precisely because of what they have done to their products to become market leaders. Sometimes there are even companies that will cater to the small market because they are able to turn a profit.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    Of course. But let's call it an alternative niche offering.

Labelling it "3rd" is a bit strange.
    07-09-17 12:31 PM
    What does third even mean, when the front two cars already finished the race an hour ago?
    One of the most ridicolous reply I have ever seen in CB! I mean, I am not expecting such answer from a CB ambassador, rather from a troll.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-17 03:33 PM
    One of the most ridicolous reply I have ever seen in CB! I mean, I am not expecting such answer from a CB ambassador, rather from a troll.

Posted via CB10
    Huh? I'm discussing terminology.
    eshropshire likes this.
    07-09-17 03:59 PM
    Blackberry is still (and has been for a very long time) popular in what we arrogantly term, "emerging nations".
    It's not and hasn't been for years - it's impossible based on (before they quit hardware) the quarterly unit number sales.
    07-09-17 04:10 PM
    Conite... are you paid to troll or negative press on feelings of BlackBerry fans?? Disgusting to see your comments.

Posted via CB10
    Khai Lang likes this.
    07-09-17 04:52 PM
    Conite... are you paid to troll or negative press on feelings of BlackBerry fans?? Disgusting to see your comments.

Posted via CB10
    I'm I missing something?

I'm the biggest BlackBerry fan of them all!

I'm normally called a BlackBerry shill, so this is new to me.
    eshropshire likes this.
    07-09-17 04:54 PM
    People seem to have difficulty separating their subjective preference for BB10 and an objective discussion surrounding the business case for BB10.
    eshropshire and StephanieMaks like this.
    07-09-17 04:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'll try and provide the post that offended you deeper context...

When the race started, BlackBerry shot out to a lead. There were a few others in the field, while iOS and Android were still busy building their cars. About a quarter into the race BlackBerry fell asleep at the wheel, while iOS and Android passed right by them. Three quarters complete, there were basically just those two still in it. BlackBerry chose to throw a new engine in, with a couple dead cylinders, and continued to get passed every lap. By the time they crossed the line, the crowd had cleared, and even Windows had gone by. They didn't even podium. Fans like me were very disappointed, but it is what it is, and at least using an Android chassis with some tweaks, we're back to race another day.
    Carjackd likes this.
    07-09-17 05:02 PM
    People seem to have difficulty separating their subjective preference for BB10 and an objective discussion surrounding the business case for BB10.
    Well yeah, if one is steeped in nostalgia and subjective preference then bringing economics and reality into the discussion is doubleplusungood crimethink.
    07-09-17 05:10 PM
    It's not and hasn't been for years - it's impossible based on (before they quit hardware) the quarterly unit number sales.
    Here ya go. Admittedly considering a BBerry Curve as a top phone does suggest South Africa is the land that time forgot.

https://phys.org/news/2015-01-blackb...rica-asia.html

https://qz.com/267097/theres-still-o...tphone-market/
    07-09-17 05:21 PM
    Here ya go. Admittedly considering a BBerry Curve as a top phone does suggest South Africa is the land that time forgot.

https://qz.com/267097/theres-still-o...tphone-market/
    Look at the dates on those articles.
    eshropshire likes this.
    07-09-17 05:52 PM
    You're obviously not earning your keep.
    07-09-17 07:42 PM

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    Niche markets can be good, they only work if you can charge a high premium for yor product. You also have to serve those markets better than standard offerings. Right now it's hard to see a niche market served well by BB10.
    07-09-17 11:52 PM

Let's accept for argument sake - that ancient curves are still popular in SA - how does this build a case for BB!0 - answer it doesn't.

Niche markets can be good, they only work if you can charge a high premium for yor product. You also have to serve those markets better than standard offerings. Right now it's hard to see a niche market served well by BB10.
    Niche markets also work best for 'discreet' items - mobile phones need complex ecosystems. You really cannot not have a niche OS...
    07-10-17 02:34 AM
    I'm I missing something?

I'm the biggest BlackBerry fan of them all!

Apparently trolling has been redefined as having a different opinion. Who knew!
    07-10-17 10:44 AM
    You're obviously not earning your keep.
    I think the July 4th holiday pushed back payroll processing. We should get our checks tomorrow.
    07-10-17 10:47 AM
    I think the July 4th holiday pushed back payroll processing. We should get our checks tomorrow.
    If you have ACH set up you can expect to see it tonight. With all the activity last week this pay should be good ;-)
    07-10-17 03:43 PM
    3rd in terms of viability. There are like zero Tizen apps or phones. Windows phone is technically not dead either, like BlackBerry. But (I've got one Windows phone here) the apps situation is MUCH worse than BlackBerry 10. Also while Windows has seen a recent update, this really only brings it on par with BlackBerry 10.0 honestly in terms of reliability. Any prior versions were INCREDIBLY buggy, worse than 10.0 or even PlayBook OS.

I tried the switch to Windows phone but even ignoring the subjective bits about the OS, the app situation and bugginess rendered it a no-go very quickly.
    That's not true, Windows Store have fare more apps and updated apps than BlackBerry World.

On BB10, without Cobalt's Google Play, many services would not be available.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8679041) and xandros9 like this.
    07-11-17 01:55 AM
    3rd in terms of viability. There are like zero Tizen apps or phones. Windows phone is technically not dead either, like BlackBerry. But (I've got one Windows phone here) the apps situation is MUCH worse than BlackBerry 10. Also while Windows has seen a recent update, this really only brings it on par with BlackBerry 10.0 honestly in terms of reliability. Any prior versions were INCREDIBLY buggy, worse than 10.0 or even PlayBook OS.

I tried the switch to Windows phone but even ignoring the subjective bits about the OS, the app situation and bugginess rendered it a no-go very quickly.
    About a week ago Microsoft already announced the end of life for Windows phone. In any case I have not seen anyone in my South East Asia using any Windows phone. It is also not available for sale here too.

So I really have my doubts that windows has a higher user Base if you do not include all the windows tablets and computers.
    07-16-17 05:57 AM
    About a week ago Microsoft already announced the end of life for Windows phone. In any case I have not seen anyone in my South East Asia using any Windows phone. It is also not available for sale here too.

So I really have my doubts that windows has a higher user Base if you do not include all the windows tablets and computers.
    Windows Phone 8.1 is end of support, not 10 which is the current version. Marketshare only includes phones,

Gartner Says Worldwide Sales of Smartphones Grew 7 Percent in the Fourth Quarter of 2016
    07-16-17 11:09 AM
    Well seems people are quite willing to license Android but not make any money...so you never know! :-)
    Seriously, for years, Apple has been taking home about 80% of the _profits_ in the market. Pretty much nobody else in Android land is making money aside from Samsung.

But if you want a reason to license BB10, consider this: Google makes the OS, it has been doing its own phones for years (just like how BlackBerry license TCL to actually make them or Apple with Foxconn), now it has been hiring chip designers. It doesn't take a genius to see where this is headed. If you still want to be in the phone business in 2-4 years time, make a Plan B...(Samsung even tried with Tizen)

The 3rd OS is BB10....Windows, Sailfish, Tizen, etc are in even worse shape.

Posted via CB10
    The the other android makers make money, just not as much. 1% of the global phone profit is still a good chunk of change. Apple's profits are just exceptional.

I would say Windows is in much better shape than BB10, since it seems to be still in development and the surface phone may actually "surface" in the near future. BB10 is dead, no more functionality, no more hardware, and most likely no more updates.
    07-16-17 12:43 PM

That's Windows Phone (8.1). The current product is called Windows 10 Mobile and is still very much in development. They just dropped the word "Phone", probably since most of their market is tablets. The OS fully supports phone functionality however. Apps written for Windows 10 are supposed to work on Windows 10 mobile. Not sure if it will pan out but Microsoft still has cards to play. Blackberry has folded with BB10.
    Last edited by co4nd; 07-16-17 at 01:05 PM.
    07-16-17 12:49 PM
    Changroid.

***Posted via a BB Passport***
    07-21-17 01:34 PM
    That's Windows Phone (8.1). The current product is called Windows 10 Mobile and is still very much in development. They just dropped the word "Phone", probably since most of their market is tablets. The OS fully supports phone functionality however. Apps written for Windows 10 are supposed to work on Windows 10 mobile. Not sure if it will pan out but Microsoft still has cards to play. Blackberry has folded with BB10.
    Windows phone 8 & 8.1 represented about 85% of all Windows phones. Also, Microsoft recently announced they would only support Windows 10 on a limited number of phones. Now Microsoft has stated very clearly that Windows 10 on ARM is for tablets and 2 in 1 devices, they do not plan on using it for phones.

Microsoft's mobile revenue was less than $5 million last quarter. No one at Microsoft even raised red flags. Win 10 Mobile has has been completely not represented at Microsoft events.
    07-21-17 08:16 PM
155 ... 23456 ...