First of all i should state that this is not a plead for "zomg pls do not kill bb10 its great i still use it".
    We understand, its dead.

But as someone who is concerned with all the e-waste that is about to be introduced to environment by people throwing away their Blackberry 10 devices, and a tinkerer, i have some rather easy suggestions for the proper handling of this EOL devices. Also, by utilizing any of the approaches below, Blackberry brand would get great valuable publicity from News outlets, Environmentalist circles(think reddit) and Tinkerer sites(think HackADay, MakeUseOf etc).

Easy Route :

Provide means for unlocking bootloader.
    This is the lowest effort and best thing you could do, as DIY'ers would go crazy with this. This route also comes with the benefit of least "invasive" thing you can do, as you do not need to introduce any Intellectual Property to free use.
    If you have doubts about this routes effectiveness and benefits, please check https://www.rockbox.org. These guys made completely custom and awesome firmware for a music player that is size of a thumb, and that has fell out of production 6 years ago. And it is absolutely cherished among the DIY community.

Medium route :

Produce a software update that;
    • Strips Android environment (Since you are bounded by Google's terms to not maintain it anymore)
    • Strips Blackberry World and Blackberry Networking
    • Provides a way for loading native applications directly in device, like current android applications

This comes with the added benefit of taking the burden of keeping Blackberry 10 services up off or reducing its server loads.
    Two of your software developers literally could wrap this up and push it IN A SINGLE DAY.
    Native Blackberry Applications SDK is already open source, and available for anyone to produce new apps.
    This device which features a hardware keyboard and long battery life would be cherished by DIY tinkerers for various use cases, such as but definitely not limited to music players and email clients, thus reducing e-waste.

Hard Route :
    Make amends with the -God knows who- and re-release full BB10 as open source.
    It would be cool, i guess.

Some extra thoughts :
    As the upper management, you might think this would break the secure image of Blackberry products. Well, it would not. Any of the routes above requires full device wipe, by design. No devices data would not be and can not be compromised by this approaches.
    01-14-18 05:57 PM
    They'll be rolling out a trade up program soon for BB10 devices, from an environmental standpoint that should help reduce e-waste. There are also a few threads on why BB10 likely won't be open sourced.

BB10 as is still has a lot of value from a hobbyist perspective IMO, especially for those who want a "consumer" facing QNX platform to play around with.
    kvndoom likes this.
    01-14-18 06:24 PM
    What happens to old Android or any other old phone? Most consumers ditch their old phones in less than 2 years & they usually just toss it to the electronics recycler at best because it's so beat up. If people were so environmentally conscious, the upgrade rate on new phones would be far slower.
    How old are the newest BlackBerry phones? Even older than that. I think most people will just toss 'em

Posted via CB10
    01-15-18 05:51 PM
    I think the point is, for everyone of us who love the device for what it is, a route to keep on using it beyond 2019? For a portable Linux or netbsd terminal?

But yeah, most people will just ditch it.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-18 07:04 AM
    First of all i should state that this is not a plead for "zomg pls do not kill bb10 its great i still use it".
    We understand, its dead.

But as someone who is concerned with all the e-waste that is about to be introduced to environment by people throwing away their Blackberry 10 devices, and a tinkerer, i have some rather easy suggestions for the proper handling of this EOL devices. Also, by utilizing any of the approaches below, Blackberry brand would get great valuable publicity from News outlets, Environmentalist circles(think reddit) and Tinkerer sites(think HackADay, MakeUseOf etc).

Easy Route :

Provide means for unlocking bootloader.
    This is the lowest effort and best thing you could do, as DIY'ers would go crazy with this. This route also comes with the benefit of least "invasive" thing you can do, as you do not need to introduce any Intellectual Property to free use.
    If you have doubts about this routes effectiveness and benefits, please check https://www.rockbox.org. These guys made completely custom and awesome firmware for a music player that is size of a thumb, and that has fell out of production 6 years ago. And it is absolutely cherished among the DIY community.

Medium route :

Produce a software update that;
    • Strips Android environment (Since you are bounded by Google's terms to not maintain it anymore)
    • Strips Blackberry World and Blackberry Networking
    • Provides a way for loading native applications directly in device, like current android applications

This comes with the added benefit of taking the burden of keeping Blackberry 10 services up off or reducing its server loads.
    Two of your software developers literally could wrap this up and push it IN A SINGLE DAY.
    Native Blackberry Applications SDK is already open source, and available for anyone to produce new apps.
    This device which features a hardware keyboard and long battery life would be cherished by DIY tinkerers for various use cases, such as but definitely not limited to music players and email clients, thus reducing e-waste.

Hard Route :
    Make amends with the -God knows who- and re-release full BB10 as open source.
    It would be cool, i guess.

Some extra thoughts :
    As the upper management, you might think this would break the secure image of Blackberry products. Well, it would not. Any of the routes above requires full device wipe, by design. No devices data would not be and can not be compromised by this approaches.
    BlackBerry is not going to give up its signing keys, so there is no point to unlocking the bootloader - you won't be able to install anything on the device anyway.

Stripping the Runtime would cost tens of millions of dollars. It's integral to the OS and would require massive development from a team that no longer exists.

Open-source: same answer as unlocking bootloader. Plus QNX is proprietary, and used on many current products.
    01-17-18 07:13 AM
    If TCL took the trade-ins, stripped out BB10 and loaded Android, then re-sold them I'd buy a Passport SE without hesitation.

But I have a feeling they'll wind up in the desert with the Atari E.T. cartridges.
    01-17-18 07:38 AM