So now how do we use the latest android apps??

Posted via CB10
    Let's strike!-480px-twemoji2_1f914.svg.png
    08-02-17 12:21 PM
    You buy an Android phone. BB would prefer that you buy a BB-branded one, but whether you do or not, you're going to need an Android phone to run Android apps.

The BB10 Android Runtime is FOREVER stuck at Android 4.3, and the percentage of active devices using 4.3 or older has fallen below 10% (and is falling fast!), so developers are increasingly requiring newer versions of Android for lots of apps, because raising the minimum version number allows them to use new features and security for all users - at the expense of losing a few who refuse to buy newer devices. But they also realize that most users will accept that it's time to buy a new device and they'll do so, and continue using that developer's app - so, really, the losses are minimal.

The moment BB signed a license for Google Mobile Services and official access to the Google Play Store for their Android offerings, it was inevitable that the BB10 Android Runtime would never be able to be updated again, and that it would eventually become obsolete. Well, that time has arrived.

Of course, you can continue to use BB10 as long as you like, but you'll have to accept its limitations, which will continue to grow as standards change and as developers require newer and newer versions of Android in order to keep running their apps.

BB has left the smartphone business, and now is in the business of enterprise software and security. They have no further interest in BB10, and BB10's security model prevents anyone else from altering the OS or the Runtime - so there are no other options for "upgrades" except to buy a new phone - running Android or iOS. WinPhone is dead. WebOS is dead. Symbian is dead. Ubuntu Phone is dead. Tizen and Sailfish both lack app ecosystems and face the same problem with their ability to run Android apps as BB10 does: they can't use newer Android Runtimes because Google now owns the runtime (it's not the open-source Dalvik engine anymore).

So, if mobile apps matter, you need iOS or you need Android. Period. BB themselves recognized this several years ago, which is why they abandoned BB10 and licensed Android themselves. The market has spoken.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    08-02-17 12:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry would say buy a BlackBerry-branded Android device.
    08-02-17 12:38 PM
    BlackBerry would say buy a BlackBerry-branded Android device.
    And realistically, BlackBerry only officially supports/recommends BB World and the Amazon Appstore for Android apps on BB10 so the runtime version isn't a big issue in that context.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    08-02-17 01:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    If the application uses ANY features that came in after 4.3, you CANNOT use them because they will eventually crash.
    08-02-17 01:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    We use real android phones from various OEM.
    08-02-17 01:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    The KEYone is a nice phone. If that doesn't work for you, the nice thing about Android is that there are dozens of Android phones at all different price points, with different size screens, etc.

If you must have the BB logo on it, the KEYone even has that. And a nice keyboard.
    08-02-17 01:59 PM
    What's ART?
    Art is in the eye of the beholder.
    anon(2313227) and eiruvrav like this.
    08-02-17 03:52 PM
    Someone bought a phone without doing any research......
    08-02-17 03:59 PM
    No. Porting the runtime requires months of development and testing. There's no point for doing that. No new market to win.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-17 04:26 PM
    I know we believe that bb10 is dead, but it isn't confirmed officially. We still have the chance to strike back. Let's bombard the twitter, YouTube and the crackberry site with the request to continue bb10 and give updates to its ART. We join hands, we rule everything. Who's with me??

Posted via CB10

Sounds like another online petition time again......Woof!

Good luck with that, hey I have another idea. Win lotto buy blackberry restart OS 10 go broke............hmmmmmm
    08-02-17 04:34 PM
    What BlackBerry should do is push a BB10 update and remove ART.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    08-02-17 04:38 PM
    What BlackBerry should do is push a BB10 update and remove ART.
    What would that accomplish? It would REMOVE many of the apps that people RELY on - you would be back to ONLY NATIVE APPS. Those are a small and shrinking base.

BB as a whole, including the oft-slagged 'Droid phones, are about 0.01% of the market.
    THERE IS JUST NOT ENOUGH INTEREST IN BB10 FOR THE BIG, POPULAR APPS TO TAKE THE TIME / SPEND THE MONEY TO DEVELOP THE APPS!

Plus which, the BB10 team is DEAD - DISBURSED. They do not work for BB any more.
    So, massive cost to BB to do this, for WHAT BENEFIT TO THEM?

They are not a charity.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    08-02-17 04:44 PM
    So let me get this straight, BB10 is Dead. I can't believe this OMG , how come no one told me.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    08-02-17 04:45 PM
    I know we believe that bb10 is dead, but it isn't confirmed officially. We still have the chance to strike back. Let's bombard the twitter, YouTube and the crackberry site with the request to continue bb10 and give updates to its ART. We join hands, we rule everything. Who's with me??

Posted via CB10
    May the dark side become confused on the way to your home!
    08-02-17 04:54 PM
    Plus which, the BB10 team is DEAD - DISBURSED. They do not work for BB any more.
    I happen to have it on good authority that they are NOT dead! In fact they are being held hostage in an undisclosed location in case TCL produces yet another Launch (on time and as promised) but accidently releases the mysteriously lost 3.3.4 update.

Hey,stranger things HAVE happened.

And while we're on the subject:
    I MISS MY FLICK...

After 9 + years using only blackberrys (I still use my Passport) I purchased a Galaxy S8+.
    Up til the other day, I thought it very absurd when someone would complain about some very simple, hardly noticable thing that they didn't like about their new device compared to the way it was done on BB10.

To anyone that may consider themselves in that category .. Please accept my deepest apologies if I offended you in any way in the past.
    While I find Android to be annoying as an OS... what REALLY annoys me is after weeks of using my S8+ I find myself still "Flicking" the screen to minimise or close a program. That annoys me to no end and makes me want to encourage the guy that freaked out and destroyed his Passport to do the same with his other Passport.
    (and why not? We don't need TWO freaked out, unstable Cracked Berry's running around here)

So, hang in there BB10 team. TCL or the radical group holding 3.3.4 hostage are bound to screw up and we'll be there when they do.
    There's No Such Thing As Impossible.
    It's Just A Matter Of Figuring Out How!
    anon(9742832) and BigBadWulf like this.
    08-02-17 05:37 PM
    I happen to have it on good authority that they are NOT dead! In fact they are being held hostage in an undisclosed location in case TCL produces yet another Launch (on time and as promised) but accidently releases the mysteriously lost 3.3.4 update.

Hey,stranger things HAVE happened.

And while we're on the subject:
    I MISS MY FLICK...

After 9 + years using only blackberrys (I still use my Passport) I purchased a Galaxy S8+.
    Up til the other day, I thought it very absurd when someone would complain about some very simple, hardly noticable thing that they didn't like about their new device compared to the way it was done on BB10.

To anyone that may consider themselves in that category .. Please accept my deepest apologies if I offended you in any way in the past.
    While I find Android to be annoying as an OS... what REALLY annoys me is after weeks of using my S8+ I find myself still "Flicking" the screen to minimise or close a program. That annoys me to no end and makes me want to encourage the guy that freaked out and destroyed his Passport to do the same with his other Passport.
    (and why not? We don't need TWO freaked out, unstable Cracked Berry's running around here)

So, hang in there BB10 team. TCL or the radical group holding 3.3.4 hostage are bound to screw up and we'll be there when they do.
    There's No Such Thing As Impossible.
    It's Just A Matter Of Figuring Out How!
    Drinking again?.........lol
    08-02-17 06:13 PM
    Drinking again?.........lol
    That's him sober.
    08-02-17 06:27 PM
    Even blackberry remove bbm from windows store, of course others do the same thing to BlackBerry. Now a days windows phone is much more better with updated apps.

Post via my BlackBerry Passport
    08-02-17 06:43 PM
    So let me get this straight, BB10 is Dead. I can't believe this OMG , how come no one told me.
    Wait, what? BB10 is dead? When was this? Let me connect to AOL on my 2400 baud modem and see what else is new these days.
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-02-17 07:35 PM
    That's him sober.
    I can honestly say I've never disagreed with you about anything!
    08-02-17 07:43 PM
    I can honestly say I've never disagreed with you about anything!
    I'll have a beer with you!
    08-02-17 07:45 PM
    How able just a browser update and refresh ? I wouldn't think that would be too much to ask but then again who's listening...... Not Blackberry
    08-02-17 07:50 PM
    How able just a browser update and refresh ? I wouldn't think that would be too much to ask but then again who's listening...... Not Blackberry
    That would require a new OS build. The bar file is just a UI.
    08-02-17 07:58 PM
    That would require a new OS build. The bar file is just a UI.
    So are you saying that it would entitle a lot of work? To me they could still do it without resurrecting the entire OS.
    08-02-17 08:08 PM
115 1234 ...