This . . .

Apple Shows Signs a Major Interface Overhaul Is Coming | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

It appears that there is evidence that apple is going to rebuild ios from the ground up. Among the statements in this report are "of course this will not happen overnight" . . Fair enough, but I wonder if they will gets dogged and pestered and lambasted as much as rim did, constantly demanding progress and pressured to hurry up and show us the goods . . .we'll see.

(btw I posted this here because it is related to the process bb10 went through)
    02-04-13 01:17 PM
    it depends on how apple does during the "rebuild" period
    02-04-13 01:19 PM
    I don't think it'll be as big as you think. I've owned a Mac since 2007, and the OS looks the exact same as it was back then with some tweaking. If you show me a picture of Mac OS X from 2005 or something, it has obviously improved, but not in a crazy way. It's not a bad or good thing. I'm just saying, they'll probably move a few things around, change some icons, and textures. That's all I'm expecting...
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    02-04-13 01:23 PM
    Does not matter... with Apple's marketing machine and market cred.... it could crash twice a day and as with attenna gate... Apple will announce it is a user issue
    02-04-13 01:25 PM
    I would think that both Apple and Google both have highly secret labs working on replacement OSes, they would be crazy not to learn from the lessons of pass failures in the mobile sector.
    02-04-13 01:29 PM
    If they keep current functionality and build off of it, then they will be applauded. If they take steps back in functionality then they will get some.negative press...simple as that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    h20work likes this.
    02-04-13 03:23 PM
    Eh ok, well they finally change their tired interface. I think they are somewhat to late, even android has evolved faster. Apple took android's pull down notification bar, so now they need to overhaul. I used and iphone for a year and after the initial "OOH" of having one, it was a nice phone, but the interface is so old fashion. I guess Apple will steal other's ideas and then be the awesome phone makers again? Lol
    02-04-13 03:26 PM
    with $146bn in the bank Apple can probably afford to take their time. Whether they will do a good job or not is anyone's guess.
    jakie55 likes this.
    02-04-13 03:36 PM
    I don't think it's that hard to realize that Apple is going to have to do it sooner or later. And they probably learned from what RIM did, which was take waayy to long. I'd like to see Apple go through what RIM did, but it's not going to happen. They have lots of momentum, and huge HUGE amounts of money. I think what apple is doing now, would be like RIM having started working on BB10 in 07 or 08, not 2010 or 11. If RIM had of started then, everything would have been different.
    02-04-13 04:16 PM
    They won't drop that hard. There's just to many people with awesome ideas out there to be stolen er uh I mean Requisitioned (bought off and or otherwise bankrupted into selling)
    They're like M$, they're firmly rooted into our very fabric of society. Like Samsung, they'll do what Google is doing and diversify so much that they're in EVERYTHING we do at some level.
    02-04-13 04:24 PM
    Eh ok, well they finally change their tired interface. I think they are somewhat to late, even android has evolved faster. Apple took android's pull down notification bar, so now they need to overhaul. I used and iphone for a year and after the initial "OOH" of having one, it was a nice phone, but the interface is so old fashion. I guess Apple will steal other's ideas and then be the awesome phone makers again? Lol
    They most certainly are not too late as long as they can get something out in the next 12-18 months. Their ecosystem is robust and there is corporate buy in at every level. They don't need to convince anyone. App developers are making money, corporations are earning loyalty though apps. Their user base only started demanding "fresh interface" in the last 6 months. This is in stark contrast to the landscape Blackberry faces on this product launch. You are right, their interface is stale now, they have stolen most of their good ideas in the last 2 -3 years. But they have remained realtively unscathed in that process which you can chalk up to marketing. But either way, they are definitely not too late.
    02-04-13 04:32 PM
    lol we only went into odin sleep for 2 years.We release a phone and everyone making changes too funny.
    02-04-13 06:12 PM
    They most certainly are not too late as long as they can get something out in the next 12-18 months. Their ecosystem is robust and there is corporate buy in at every level. They don't need to convince anyone. App developers are making money, corporations are earning loyalty though apps. Their user base only started demanding "fresh interface" in the last 6 months. This is in stark contrast to the landscape Blackberry faces on this product launch. You are right, their interface is stale now, they have stolen most of their good ideas in the last 2 -3 years. But they have remained realtively unscathed in that process which you can chalk up to marketing. But either way, they are definitely not too late.
    I agree.

At least Apple is recognizing it. Unlike RIM, it is actually moving with preferences instead of resisting change.
    02-04-13 06:14 PM