From what I've read, the Privs were built in a single batch of 500k phones. I don't recall the batch size for the Leap, but neither phone is in current production.
    Blackberry was claiming 600K were sold in the fourth quarter.
    04-23-16 04:57 PM
    I'm not talking about me, I'm talking about the masses. And I understand why people want good cameras now that I've had one.

I'm not saying the modern photography obsession is healthy, but it would have been smart include decent cameras in BB10 phones (especially at the beginning) in order to attract more customers. People's number one feature is often a good camera module. Why give people easy deal-breakers?
    Ok I understand your feelings but it's not great camera quality only what attract people towards any phone. Most of them need lots of apps easily available and accessible to use so their life could become easy. This is where BlackBerry lacks otherwise the os is too great.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-16 05:07 PM
    Blackberry was claiming 600K were sold in the fourth quarter.
    That number includes BB10 and BBOS phones.
    04-23-16 05:30 PM
    BB10 is just another face to QNX.
    BB10 is ~1000 dev years of RnD on top of QNX.

So you don't think multitasking, memory protected, scheduler driven and POSIX compliant(Linux is almost POSIX compliant) is not close? If you want to say the kernel scheduler is different I'll give you that, but the API to the programmer is very close.
    I don't think it is similar.
    Linux is a monolithic kernel optimized for bulk throughput.
    QNX is a micro kernel optimized for hard realtime.
    Linux "strives" for POSIX and QNX is POSIX compliant.
    Yes the POSIX parts should be the same but Windows NT has a POSIX subsystem too.
    So is QNX substantially similar to Windows NT?
    A Terex Titan and a Honda Civic have a steering wheel, gas pedal and break pedal etc. in common but I doubt many people would accidentally put their groceries in the back of the TT at the supermarket.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 04-23-16 at 06:26 PM.
    Uzi and JeepBB like this.
    04-23-16 05:48 PM
    I'm loving my passport. Been back on BlackBerry for a week or so. After a two year droid hiatus I gotta say I love BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    04-23-16 06:37 PM
    A Terex Titan and a Honda Civic have a steering wheel, gas pedal and break pedal etc. in common but I doubt many people would accidentally put their groceries in the back of the TT at the supermarket.
    Like I said, interfaces are not trivial but the OS drives everything including the drivers for the interface.
    System interface guys will constantly be changing things which is why there is so much dev time is on
    that part of the system. BB10 is attached at the hip to QNX and works or does not work because of it.

As for Linux being monolithic, your right. But what does it really mean? It means the OS will try and lock the
    application out of everything keeping drivers, files systems and everything else within the kernel. QNX
    is considered micro-kernel but on a modern processor has the same memory protection. Drivers will run in the
    programs memory space which to some is forbidden, but allows programs easier access to modifying drivers.

If both Linux and QNX are running on the same model quad core ARM with the same video capability, are
    they really a Titian and a Civic? I would equate them more to something along the lines of hatchback
    and a station wagon. Both are produced to appeal to different segments and both have loyal followings
    based on their track record of uses. One will utilize the MMU more and there will be differences in
    the way the scheduler decides witch program to run.

Could you use QNX on a server? Sure. Could you run a version of Linux in a car Nav system? I'm sure they
    already do.

Gotta go find my hatchback now...
    04-23-16 08:08 PM
    Like I said, interfaces are not trivial but the OS drives everything including the drivers for the interface.
    System interface guys will constantly be changing things which is why there is so much dev time is on
    that part of the system. BB10 is attached at the hip to QNX and works or does not work because of it.

As for Linux being monolithic, your right. But what does it really mean? It means the OS will try and lock the
    application out of everything keeping drivers, files systems and everything else within the kernel. QNX
    is considered micro-kernel but on a modern processor has the same memory protection. Drivers will run in the
    programs memory space which to some is forbidden, but allows programs easier access to modifying drivers.

If both Linux and QNX are running on the same model quad core ARM with the same video capability, are
    they really a Titian and a Civic? I would equate them more to something along the lines of hatchback
    and a station wagon. Both are produced to appeal to different segments and both have loyal followings
    based on their track record of uses. One will utilize the MMU more and there will be differences in
    the way the scheduler decides witch program to run.

Could you use QNX on a server? Sure. Could you run a version of Linux in a car Nav system? I'm sure they
    already do.

Gotta go find my hatchback now...
    You hand-wave away the differences but that don't make it so.

Linux is a monolithic kernel.
    BB10 is built on top of QNX which has a micro-kernel.
    The architecture at the kernel level is very different.
    Saying they are similar is equivalent to saying all modern production OS's are similar.
    If that is what you are saying I can grudgingly agree.
    If you are saying that within the scope of modern production OS's QNX and Linux are similar then I just have stop and smile.
    04-24-16 09:36 AM
    You hand-wave away the differences but that don't make it so.

Linux is a monolithic kernel.
    BB10 is built on top of QNX which has a micro-kernel.
    The architecture at the kernel level is very different.
    Saying they are similar is equivalent to saying all modern production OS's are similar.
    If that is what you are saying I can grudgingly agree.
    If you are saying that within the scope of modern production OS's QNX and Linux are similar then I just have stop and smile.
    I'm not handwaving, just trying to look at things from a slightly higher operational level. If you want to say that the
    coding is different, one is open source and one is not, then I agree. The architecture of how a scheduler runs is
    different. But ask yourself which scheduler? The one in RTLinux, which is considered a microkernel. They still call it Linux. Will you tell them it's not Linux because it is a microkernel? I try not to debate with Linux people because they all have thier own little camps. You can also build the Linux kernel with or without a lot of different components based on your needs.

How about we agree that on the same ARM processor, RTLinux and QNX OS's are operationally similar?
    04-24-16 11:31 AM
    I'm loving my passport. Been back on BlackBerry for a week or so. After a two year droid hiatus I gotta say I love BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Had my Passport for about 6 months(had the Z30 before) and I have to say the keyboard, wide screen, blend, and hub make a combination I really like. I don't do video or a lot of Android apps so that is not an issue to me. The only thing I'd like is a back button(take me directly to the home screen) vs. the swipe. Beyond that is the perfect phone for me.
    04-24-16 11:38 AM
    This thread...

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    04-24-16 06:01 PM
    Not sure why I post in these forums anymore. Its amazing how if you go to a car or gun forum everyone is polite and respectful but everyone here is a ****.

Posted via CB10
    Cars, guns, and BlackBerry's?

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    04-24-16 06:36 PM

Perhaps a mass tweet with hashtag #BB10fornewphones
    Done! (and I'm not even a BB10 user but I came close to buying one once)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-24-16 06:37 PM
    ok this is sad.....I'm the ONLY one to tweet it. See you in Twitter

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-24-16 06:41 PM
    This thread...

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    They all seem to end up in the same place.
    04-24-16 07:30 PM
    BlackBerry10 and QNX are 16bit but have yet to evolve to 32 bit to take full advantage of latest processors...

BlackBerry has done nothing to make them grow

Posted via CB10
    04-24-16 07:37 PM
    Not sure why I post in these forums anymore. Its amazing how if you go to a car or gun forum everyone is polite and respectful but everyone here is a ****.

Posted via CB10
    Seriously though - I feel where you're coming from. I call it internet courage, some people just go off on folks in here for no good reason at all.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    04-24-16 07:49 PM
    BlackBerry10 and QNX are 16bit but have yet to evolve to 32 bit to take full advantage of latest processors...

BlackBerry has done nothing to make them grow

Posted via CB10
    Can't tell if you are serious.
    04-24-16 07:53 PM
67 123