I found the word predictions that appeared on my keyboard to be helpful, mainly when typing with one hand. But this morning, I got creeped-out. Here's what happened; I found out the 1st MLB game next year will be in Australia. I texted my buddy, asking him if he knew where the 1st game would be, and he replied, that he didn't. I began to type the word Australia in my next text, and after I put thw capital A, the word "Australia" showed up in my keyboard! #1 that involves considering the conversation thread before suggesting a word, #2 that somehow eliminated any number of places that begin with the letter A, like Arizona, Alaska, Arkansas, Antarctica, etc. FYI, Australia is not a learned word, as I don't think I've ever even typed it before.

Here's my question: is the intelligence that figured that out and suggested that word on my Z10, or on a Blackberry server somewhere? Also, if it's on a server, that would imply there's a log of all my keystrokes, which I find unacceptable. Anyone have some insight into this?

Via Z10 & CB10
    06-13-13 08:22 AM
    This has nothing to do with your post, but I had to reply. I saw your name and THAT was creepy That's my brother's name, and he's also in Australia!! Wow, what a small world!

Have a good one, fellow Pisano!
    Eric Shapiro likes this.
    06-13-13 08:31 AM
    They can't log keystrokes of a word you have never typed before. Not sure how it implies that your keystrokes are logged anywhere. The keyboard is just guessing what you will type basically. Word prediction would suck if it only suggested words you typed before.

Posted via CB10
    SK122387 likes this.
    06-13-13 09:58 AM
    how did you find out that the game was in Austrailia??? from a text or site on phone???
    06-13-13 10:24 AM
    If every keystroke were logged, my phone wouldn't still suggest "wombat" (a word I've never had a use for typing on my phone before) instead of "woman," which I've typed regularly.
    06-13-13 11:08 AM
    Here's my question: is the intelligence that figured that out and suggested that word on my Z10, or on a Blackberry server somewhere? Also, if it's on a server, that would imply there's a log of all my keystrokes, which I find unacceptable. Anyone have some insight into this?
    It's all local. On-device only.
    06-13-13 11:41 AM
    I found something like this as well on my Z, but found it pretty awesome and not creepy. And I think it has more to do with what's actually displayed recently and not just written.

My experience was with paying an online bill on my phone, through the browser on my bank's website (no app yet). I had the window open to my bank stuff, and swiped out of the browser to open my Rogers app to check the actual balance. I checked, and it was a hundred and some odd dollars, swiped out of that, reopened the browser frame and clicked on pay bills, scrolled down to the Rogers line, clicked into the text bar and pressed the 1, and all of a sudden a single bubble appeared dead center of the screen with the balance I had just checked in another app, exact to the decimal and cents. I clicked the bubble and there it was in the text box.

First time I saw that and I thought it was pretty wicked. And this is BlackBerry after all, so I'm not really worried about the security aspects of any of it.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 01:09 PM
    And I might want to add, after opening the app and clicking on the 'balance' tab, I didn't even click on any part of the screen at all, let alone cut and paste anything. Just looked at the balance, and swiped out.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 01:11 PM
    Seawarrior- MLB announcers mentioned iy during a game.

Via Z10 & CB10
    06-13-13 08:35 PM
    It's all local. On-device only.
    Ok, that was my concern. i guess you're sure? How do you know?

Via Z10 & CB10
    06-13-13 08:37 PM
    This has nothing to do with your post, but I had to reply. I saw your name and THAT was creepy That's my brother's name, and he's also in Australia!! Wow, what a small world!

Have a good one, fellow Pisano!
    Hey! Apparently, Pisano is an extraordinarily conmon name in Italy. Thanks for posting.

Via Z10 & CB10
    npisano likes this.
    06-13-13 08:39 PM
    Ok, that was my concern. i guess you're sure? How do you know?
    It's swift key. I checked the bar and I also use the same software on Symbian and Android.
    You can turn off internet and it is still learning
    06-14-13 01:03 AM
    James pisano, MLB is having games in Australia. That is why you get the "Australia " prediction. It is known by the predictive text program. That is the beauty of the program itself. Pretty neat huh? BTW, great question. Z10's rock!!!

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 04:16 AM
    James pisano, MLB is having games in Australia. That is why you get the "Australia " prediction. It is known by the predictive text program. That is the beauty of the program itself. Pretty neat huh? BTW, great question. Z10's rock!!!

Posted via CB10
    That's what I figured, Gearheadaddy. So knowing there is software gathering data from my own keystrokes and the internet, I figured it would have to reside on a server somewhere, which makes me think that somewhere, all my keystrokes are stored; everything I've typed on my Z10, even things I've typed into the remember app that I never intended for anyone's eyes but my own, or passwords typed into the password keeper, financial/banking info, etc. This is a concern of mine, and frankly why I've been a BB user and fan, as I love the security of the OS and BB network.

Via Z10 & CB10
    06-14-13 06:53 AM
    It's swift key. I checked the bar and I also use the same software on Symbian and Android.
    You can turn off internet and it is still learning
    Xsacha, but does this swiftkey software upload what you've typed to a server? Obviously, it gathers inputs online ot it would have never predicted "Australia," first.

Via Z10 & CB10
    06-14-13 06:56 AM
    Xsacha, but does this swiftkey software upload what you've typed to a server? Obviously, it gathers inputs online ot it would have never predicted "Australia," first.

Via Z10 & CB10
    Ok, you're right. Swiftkey periodically sends back anonymous usage data to find out how many keypresses you typed. But they don't know what you typed.
    The language model is 100% on-device only.
    Last edited by xsacha; 06-14-13 at 08:32 AM.
    06-14-13 08:08 AM
    I actually found z10 keyboard to be very inaccurate.
    First you have to get the first letter right or in won't guess the proper word.

I doesn't have a context concept. If I am texting my buddy about biking or whatever, I still get a lot of work relate words coming up. Names of my coworkers etc which doesn't make sense.

Last thing is it doesn't look at the sentence and predict the right verb

If I want to type I went biking. I have to type bike before biking is suggested.

I think it still needs some work.
    06-14-13 10:13 AM
    And It does not wash your car neither... yeah, it still needs some work!!!!!
    06-14-13 10:20 AM
    Lol. Dan. Only if it could wash car
    06-14-13 10:29 AM
    It has definitely learned many words that I have typed. The best thing is that it doesn't learn passwords or credit card numbers.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 01:52 PM